*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1202089-Dreams-should-be-Realistic
by Deany
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1202089
For my grade 12 english class on the above topic.
Dreams should be realistic.

When scientist D. Harry McRradus told his comrades in the scientific community that he was going to find a way to become immortal, they all wrote him off as insane. Dr. M, as he was called, made it his lifes quest to be the first person to live forever. By day Dr. M would theorize the ways to become immortal, by night he would read ancient texts looking for clues.
Early in the dawn of Dr. M.’s thirty seventh year there came a knock on his door. Gathering his white lab coat around him, he descended the stairs of his inherited mansion, his hallow footsteps eerily echoing back at him. He shuffled quickly across the empty floor on the lowest level walking towards the wide black doors he opened the doors and looked out. A crackle of lightning revealed the person standing in the cold rain on that dark and dismal day.
“Greetings, Dr. McTradus” said a feminine voice through the thick cloak that wrapped around her figure. Without an invitation she stepped inside, in her hand a large book, older than any of Dr. M.’s, appeared seemingly from nowhere. “This is ‘the Mirid’” She explained setting the book on a table. A snapping sound is heard three times as the locks flee their bindings. Flipping through the book she stops halfway through and places her finger on a map. “The Mountain of Robert Canus,” She told him “Here you will find ‘the Tree of Life’ and your life will never end.” A blast of cold air threw the window open distracting Dr. M, and when he looked back all that was there was the open book, sitting on his plain table.
Following the trail marked by the map Dr. M. traveled to the east, exploring a region of the world that had was never discovered. The position of the sun and various land marks (such as waterfalls) directed and guided him through a wasteland filled with dry, empty air. He arrived at his destination, a mountain made entirely of ice. Though it was a challenge, he fought his way to the peak where he found two trees of unsurpassed beauty.
Upon reaching the top he looked down at the dead land around him and congratulated himself on making it. Turning around he saw the woman who gave him the book and she demanded that he return it to her. Thankfully he handed her the heavy book. She pointed at the first tree and said “The Tree of Life.” She then pointed at the other tree, “The Tree of Knowledge. Which will you eat from? One or both?” Dr. M. smiled widely, not only could he be the only immortal man, but he could also be wiser than anyone. He reached out to the nearest tree, the ‘Tree of Knowledge’. As he grabbed the fruit a snake jumped out of the tree and bit him on the wrist. Panicking he stepped toward the tree of life as the pain writhed up his arm and through his torso. His legs collapsed under him as he jumped at the tree and with his good hand grabbed the fruit. His head swam with pain and Dr. M. died with the fruit of life only inches from his lips.
© Copyright 2007 Deany (deanyd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1202089-Dreams-should-be-Realistic