*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1207899-Snow
Rated: E · Short Story · None · #1207899
A piece I wrote for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
She saw him there, waiting for her, just as he had promised. She smiled as he glided toward her. It was Christmas Eve and this snowy forest the one place they could be together. He took her hand and gently pressed his lips to it.
         “Good Evening, my love,” he greeted her.
         “Hello.” She dipped her head in a little bow. “You came.”
         “I said I would. I’ll always come,” he assured her
         “Yes. So you say.”
         He pulled her close, wrapping one arm around her waist as he held her other arm up. “Still no trust, my love?” He asked.
         “The things said between us, between our families, all year long…” She let the sentence trail off.
         “Yes, I know. It is difficult. It always will be, but you must never trust what I say then, only what I say now. This is our night.” He squeezed her for a moment and then they began to dance. The snow kept falling softly, muffling the noise from the nearby town.
         “Any New Years resolutions this year?” She asked to change the subject.
         “Yes. To find a way to marry you.”
         She blushed and looked away. She refused to allow herself to hope.          “You?” He asked.
         “To be nicer to the cat.”
         His laugh was clear and happy, swirling the snow around them. The snow began to fall faster as they danced. By tomorrow it would be a blizzard. Then the town bell gonged midnight and they began to drift apart.
         “I will find a way to marry you,” he promised.
         “I know,” she said. “I love you.”
         “And I you. Until next year then.” He bowed and glided away.
         “Until next year,” she murmured and drifted away. The snow continued to fall, covering their footprints.
© Copyright 2007 ElainaK (purelight at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1207899-Snow