*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1219275-Ooops
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1219275
Another flash fiction entry
Alley stared at me across the table. She lay curled up, her tail swishing back and forth. I could see the condescending look in her eyes.
"See what fun this is?" I looked down at what had spoken. I still wasn't used to this speaking book which now sat in front of me open to a page about conjuring. The wind howled and rain pelted the windows of the library. Uncle Kristof would not be happy about this. I was forbidden to touch this book. But for the past week this book had been hounding me. Begging to be read, waiting for me to touch it. I glanced fearfully at Alley.
"What now?" I whispered. I needed to stop this storm, Uncle Kristof would know instantly of my disobedience if he happened to ride into it, which should be soon. As if reading my mind the book flipped itself to a page for dispelling storms and other called up things. I looked at Alley as I quickly recited the words on the page. The wind stopped, making the room ominously silent.
"You know," the book whispered seductively, "I could give you such power; you could do anything in the world."
I became more frightened. I was terrified by power. Alley jumped up and padded across the narrow table, flipping the book closed with a paw and flopping down on top of it with a thump.
"Thanks, Alley." I petted her. My familiar just purred. The door clunked open in the downstairs hall. Uncle Kristof was home. I hurried out of the room to greet him. 
"Did anything exciting happen while I was away?"
"No." As he disappeared I prayed fervently that he would never find out the book was already in my head.
© Copyright 2007 ElainaK (purelight at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1219275-Ooops