*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1208544-What-A-Gal
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Contest · #1208544
A chance meeting in a restaurant takes an unwelcome turn. "TSF Contest" winner.
She leaned in and brushed her lips ever so slightly over his right ear. With a seemingly careless whisper, she instructed him to pay up and said that she would grab them a cab. She pulled away, flashed him a smile--both devilish and angelic in nature--got up and walked away from the bar. At that moment, as if fate decided to add a touch of whimsy to the image, he heard the unmistakeable voice of Chris De Burgh singing Lady In Red over the restaurant's music system, while he stared helplessly at his new friend, meandering through the crowd, her silk crimson dress a vibrant standout amidst a sea of gray suits and black evening wear.

         "That's some dish," the bartender said, as he handed Spencer his bill.

         "I think I'm in love, man," Spencer sighed. He didn't even look at the bill before handing the bartender his card. He continued to goofily grin as he got up and draped his trenchcoat over his arm. "I mean, did you see how beautiful she is? And, look at me. I'm not exactly Brad Pitt here."

         "No, you're definitely not Brad Pitt. She looks dangerous..."

         "A little danger every once in a while never hurts." Spencer winked, and walked toward the door. He exited the warmth of the restaurant into the chilly Chicago air. A short distance from the entrance, a cab door was being held open by the restaurant's doorman. Inside, Spencer saw the beautiful silhouette of his new friend, and he couldn't wait to experience what the rest of the evening had in store.

         He slid in and the cab door shut. As the cab began to pull away, he felt the hand of his new friend maneuvering slowly up his leg, while she leaned in closer. Without so much as a prelude, she kissed him--long and passionately. He didn't resist. Why would he? So what if he'd just met this woman tonight and knew absolutely nothing about her? Did he even get her name or had he just convinced himself that simply calling her his "Lady In Red" was enough for the occasion? He didn't even remember telling her his name.

         A sharp pain on the side of his chest made Spencer quickly pull himself away from the kiss, and he began to cough violently. His vision blurred for a moment, making him lose his equilibrium, and he slumped back on his seat. Even in the dimness of the cab, he could make out the knife's handle jutting out of his chest. He stared wide-eyed at the smiling woman before him, and saw only evil in that once beautiful face. "Wh-Why?" he managed in between painful breaths, as he felt his consciousness fading.

         "It's nothing personal, Mr. McGill," the woman said, her fluid voice now tinted with poison. "It's simply business. My employers saw you as a threat to their organization's future. And, I was asked to remove that threat. Too bad; I thought you were kinda cute. But, you're no Brad Pitt."


         Contest Winner for 01/29-02/04 "Invalid Item
         Word count:
491
         Prompt: Romantic story with a tragic ending
© Copyright 2007 Sam N. Yago (jonsquared at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1208544-What-A-Gal