*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1211068-An-overdue-Thank-You-note
Rated: E · Monologue · Other · #1211068
A stream of thought put into words
After posting my stories here since October 8, 2005, I feel I've received every type of review imaginable. Most have been positive, even when pointing out problems with my stories. Thank you, fellow writers, who took the time to read, rate, and review them.

Some, however, have been downright rude and mean, but that's not a problem for me. Writers need to have a thick skin in order to continue writing, at least in my opinion. With the third type of reviewer, we all can recognize the smell of decomposing troll.

The main reason I'm writing this general "thank you" note is to let newcomers on this fantastic writing site know it's okay to receive bad reviews now and then. Some of my pieces certainly have. However, and it's a big however, to stop writing because of these is to deny yourself of the chance to learn and grow as a writer.

One thing none of us should do is to compare our work with that of others. I've discovered there are much better writers than I can possibly be here on Writing.com. Others need to buy a good grammar/punctuation manual. A few make my eyes cross in agony at the misspelled words in their stories. The most priceless advice I can give is LEARN TO USE A SPELLCHECKER!

For those of you who only write in one genre such as fan fiction or fantasy, why not experiment with others? Try your hand at mystery or a gentle romance. Perhaps you could do a nonfiction biographical piece about your childhood, which I've discovered can be quite cathartic.

As many reviewers have pointed out, I do tend to ramble. In closing, once again I thank everyone who has reviewed my various pieces and look forward to many more in the future. Any thoughts you'd like to share with me about this piece would be welcome.

Judity
HOME OF THE RED FOX E-Booktime.com listing:
http://tinyurl.com/yw64ar
or read any of my unpublished stories in the link below
http://judity.Writing.Com/

© Copyright 2007 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1211068-An-overdue-Thank-You-note