*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1269508-Sense-the-Rainbow
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #1269508
Here the colors of the rainbow mingle with the senses they invoke.
The flowers came in a slender crystal vase, hummingbirds with their wings outstretched etched in base relief on the tall tapered container. The young deliveryman who brought them grinned at the surprise on the face of the beautiful dark-haired woman when he handed the vase to her. Her look of surprise turned to delight at seeing the variety of flowers displayed so elegantly. All the colors of the rainbow were spread out in front of her.

“Someone sure loves you to spend all that money for a bunch of flowers that are just going to die in a couple days.” These snide words came from Anita, the woman who shared the tiny cubicle with Irisa. “What’s the card say?”

Irisa ignored the slightly jealous tone of voice and pulled the florist’s envelope from the clip inserted in the center of the flowers. Without opening the envelope to read the card inside, she put it into the top drawer of her desk, a smile hovering around her lips. The expensive feel of the envelope remained on her fingertips for long moments after that.

“Well?” Anita asked impatiently. “Who’s it from?” When Irisa continued to ignore her, she muttered under her breath, but loud enough for Irisa to hear, “Probably sent them to herself. No one sends flowers these days. Too expensive!”

For the rest of the day, the fragrance of the flowers washed over both women while they silently worked. Every now and then, Irisa would reach out to stroke one of the velvet petals of the dark indigo iris or lean forward to breathe in the aroma of the yellow roses. Peeping out from behind the glossy green leaves of one rose, as if too shy to appear, were tiny blue Johnny-Jump-Ups.

An hour passed before Irisa noticed the pale-red angelica blossom. She realized the sender of the flowers knew about her love of licorice. She tried to resist but finally and delicately tore off one of the leaves. The flavor of black jelly beans filled her mouth while she chewed the leaf.

A wide orange silk ribbon was wound around the top fluted edge of the vase and complimented the other colors of the rainbow within the vase. The shimmering silk threads caught the sunlight coming in through the office window, and the heat of the sun intensified the fragrance coming from the flowers.

During the noon hour, Anita stayed behind when the rest of the employees left for lunch. She opened Irisa’s desk drawer containing the envelope, all the while watching out for Irisa’s return. I still bet she sent them to herself! Even while thinking this, Anita pulled the card out of the envelope. The outside of the card showed a multicolored rainbow crossing a pale blue sky. Sneering at the pretty picture, Anita gave in to her curiosity and opened the card.

The musical card started playing Israel Kamakawiwo'ole’s version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow.”

In dark black ink, written in a strong masculine handwriting, were the words,

For Irisa, my own Russian rainbow, with love forever!


© Copyright 2007 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1269508-Sense-the-Rainbow