*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1211424-Mirror-Mirror
by natty
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #1211424
How a young girl sees herself
A small amount of natural light seeped through the heavy curtains. A searing blade of light pierced her eyes, causing her to move more to her left. She moved closer to the mirror, to get a better look at herself. She sat down on the carpet, still able to see her face clearly in the full-length mirror that stood before her.

Her soft black hair framed her face. Her skin appeared paler, that normal, in contract to the dimness of the room and her silky black hair. Her freckles were scattered prominently across her face, especially her nose. To the outsider she appeared to be nothing less then beautiful. But to her, she was unbearable to even look at. She was unable to look past her faults. She stared longingly into the mirror hoping desperately that her appearance would change, but naturally it remained that same.

She began to examine herself. Her hair didn’t sit right. She roughly ran her fingers thorough her hair repetitively. It caused her skin to stretch tightly across her face. Several strands of hair were ripped from her head. /she didn’t care, although she stopped. Her hair feel back into place. She tucked it behind her ears.

She moved her focus onto her skin. With her fingers she harshly rubbed her face, moving the flesh around her face, dragging it towards her neck. She altered her eyebrows by pulling the skin at her temples and on her forehead towards her hairline. Her skin was red from her roughness. The sensation caused by her fingertips lingered aimlessly on her cheeks. She ran her index finger repeatedly across the bridge of her nose.

She examined her lips. They were pale in colour. Cracked. She pulled at them, making the cracks more dominate and red. Droplets of blood began to weep from her lips.

She looked closely at herself. The banshee in the mirror laughed mockingly at her attempts to suppress what her eyes could see. She studied what she saw, mesmerising every hideous detail. From the placement of her freckles to the small scar under her lip. She brushed the back of her hand and fingers gently across her cheek. It was moist to touch. She had been crying. She looked deeply into her bloodshot eyes. They were green. She watched the bitter tears run down her face motionlessly.

Her face fell into her hands.

Would anybody ever love her?
© Copyright 2007 natty (natjennings at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1211424-Mirror-Mirror