*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1212170-Todays-Thought--Impulse-Spending
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1212170
What inside of us turns off our judgement and drives us to spend money we DO NOT have?
Money troubles are one thing that most of the population has in common. Sometimes it is the lack of motivation to make money that causes this. Sometimes it is the lack of ability to find a good paying job. There are a number of things that can cause you to have a tight money situation. My biggest problem seems to be impulse buying however. Well that and the fact that I live in a very low-paying community, but that is another story.

Have you ever walked by something in a display window and thought you just HAD to have it? I'm sure most of you have. Then common sense comes into play when you look at the price tag and realize you are not financialy fit to make this purchase. Sometimes however, that common sense goes right out the window and something else takes over, something very powerful. It overrules good judgement and seems to be begging you to make that purchase. You give in, there is no reason to fight it because it always wins. Then the high of the purchase wears off, you are stuck with it, and stuck without the money. You get really upset and wish and wish that you could go back and just walk away.

What in your brain is it that we just cannot fight? The arguments you have with yourself seem relentless. "I can't afford it!" says part of you. "But I really want it!" Screams the other half. What is it that determines the outcome?

I fall victim to this inner fight with myself almost daily. I go to the store to buy some necessities and walk out having spent more than I have. I'm happy with it until i go to balance my checkbook and think back to all of the things i could have done without.

Just recently a man came to my door selling meat. Yes, meat of all things. He finally threw out one hell of a deal, (like all salesmen do) He convinced me that if I buy a case of seafood, at $375, that he would throw in a case of beef (steaks and the like) which would cost me another $375, for FREE! I gave in. I bought it. I blacked out. I forgot I had bills to pay, I forgot I was in the midst of finally buying a lap top. I forgot everything important just to take this "amazing" offer.

Well that was almost a week ago now. Everyday since this purchase I have wanted to kick myself for making this purchase. I was in no way financially capable of buying this. On top of it all, I don't even really eat meat!

I want to get to the root of my impulse spending. I just don't know where it begins, or ends, or what happens in the midst of my lack of better judgement, but there has to be something that triggers it, right?
© Copyright 2007 tzubrod (tzubrod at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1212170-Todays-Thought--Impulse-Spending