*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1215426-Trey-Anastasio-Bar-17
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Hurley
Rated: E · Other · Music · #1215426
Review of Trey Anastasio release "Bar 17"
Trey Anastasio:  Bar 17
by Tim Hurley

The third major solo release from former Phish frontman Trey Anastasio is full of dirty blues and floating melodies, while showing more mature song arrangements and lyrical compositions.  This is not to say that this is Trey's best work to date, but it does show he is willing to make the departure from the sometimes bizarre lyrics and noodle-heavy structures that encompassed Phish.

Bar 17 was released on Trey's own Rubber Jungle records and boasts more than 40 musicians to its credit including former bandmates Jon Fishman and Mike Gordon, along with notable artists John Medeski, Joe Russo, Marco Benevento, as well as past and present members of his touring entourage.

The album begins with "Host Across the Potomac", already a summer tour favorite that sounds like it could belong on the Phish release "Ghost" from 1998.  The opening Gordon bass line and ensuing structure are reminiscent of the Vermont quartet's popular late-90s sound.

"Dragonfly", the third track and radio single release, shows Trey's love of electric blues and horn arrangements.  This is easily the most exciting song on the album as his gritty voice meshes well over his deep guitar and accompanying horn section.

Other tracks sure to be well-received include the audacious 70s-style rock song "Mud City", the smoky "What's Done", and this recorded version of "Goodbye Head" which has been in Trey's tour repertoire for a couple of years.

On the other hand, some of the tunes from Bar 17 will have listeners wondering what direction Anastasio was aiming for during the writing and recording process.  For example, "Let Me Lie" is a pleasant lullaby but the repetitive chorus of Trey "wanting to ride my bike.....just how I like" may lose some fans in its silliness.

The closing song "Cincinnati" is also a peculiar song in the sense that it begins with a two minute intro of sleepy horn arrangements before segueing into a rousing rock anthem layered with haunting string instruments.

The genius and undeniable musical ability of Anastasio is evident on this album, however, the obscurity of it all may not win over many new fans and could lead some old faithfuls to pray that a Phish reunion is not that far off.  His voice certainly has not gotten any better, and there is not as much of his guitar production on this release.

Although many of the tracks on Bar 17 are catchy and grow on you quickly, I doubt they will define Anastasio's post-Phish work.  However, many of these songs will likely play out very well in concert; an arena in which he and his bandmates have always excelled.


Published October 2006 by Jammed Online Music Magazine (www.jammedonline.com)
http://www.jammedonline.com/bar17CD.html
© Copyright 2007 Hurley (tjhurls at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1215426-Trey-Anastasio-Bar-17