*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1215683-On-That-Day
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Short Story · Drama · #1215683
Love comes when you least expect it...
Hi! I believe that we can't help but fall in love when Cupid's bow struck us. This love story tells how a young girl who always denies love finds love when she least expect it. I hope you will all like this.

Su Eun is a simple young girl with simple dreams. After the death of her parents, she grew up as a battered child in the custody of her wicked aunt. She is always beaten and sometimes, her aunt would lock her up in the attic. Life has still to go on with Su Eun. Despite all these abuse, she still finds time to live up her dreams of becoming a painter. Su Eun spends most of her time in the busy sidewalk of Seoul, painting her time out. She's a side-walk painter and she always wants her paintings to be included in the national gallery's exhibits. But that seems impossible to do for poor Su Eun. Nevertheless, she always makes sure that her paintings are safe. Her aunt wouldn't let her eat meals with her so she always eats her meals at a noodle house, eating ramen day and day. She can only eat delicious foods when somebody would but her painting. That's life for Su Eun.

Then here comes Ji Hoon. Ji Hoon is a high school drop-out who have spent a lot of years in high school. He can't get a diploma due to his lazy attitude. He always thinks that life is just like a silly game. He wouldn't want to compete with anyone so whatever his family says about him, he doesn't care. He only wants to find true happiness and he can't find that in school..or so that's what he thinks. Ji Hoon and his friends would always spend time in the school lobby, bullying students or doing their daily big bike racing on the busy boulevards of Seoul. That's life for Ji Hoon.

One fateful day, Ji Hoon and his friends are doing their big bike racing again on Mokdong Street, one of the busiest streets in Seoul. On that same time, Su Eun is crossing the street with her canvas boards for painting. Like what I said, Su Eun always makes sure that her paintings are safe. As she was crossing the busy street, Ji Hoon suddenly sped down the road and Su Eun's canvas boards flew into the air when Ji Hoon's big bike hit it and they all crumbled in the street. Ji Hoon didn't even pay attention and Su Eun was raging mad as she see right before her eyes the sad fate of her paintings. She ran as fast as she could to catch up with the mean guy and she stood in the middle of the street, causing everyone to stop in their tracks. Ji Hoon stopped, "Hey Miss! What are you doing? Are you crazy? Get out of my way!" Su Eun scoffed and answered back, "What? Ajossi, aren't you even going to say sorry for what you did?" Ji Hoon's forehead creased, "Why? What did I do?" She laughed out loud and scoffed once again, "Ya! Look what you did to my paintings? You've destroyed them! Now, you aren't going to say sorry? How dare you!" Ji Hoon laughed out loud too and scoffed back, "Miss...I've never said sorry to anyone...not to my parents...not from you. That's the last thing I'm gonna do." After saying that, he sped off again and Su Eun scoffed. She just cried as she picks up her canvas boards again...causing huge traffic on Mokdong Street. She vowed to herself that when she sees that stupid guy again, she'll give him her hardest punch. Ji Hoon stopped a few meters away as he heard continous beeping of the vehicles. He looked back at the girl picking up her canvases and he sighed. Oh well...sorry to that girl. He'll never say sorry.

But then sometimes, we can't guess what will happen next. One cold lonely night, Su Eun was walking her way home under the heavy rain. She stopped in her tracks when she saw someone being beaten by a baseball bat near the lamp post. Being the merciful girl that she is, she ran all the way towards the lamp post and shouted at the rude guys beating that anonymous poor guy, "Ya! Stop beating him!" The guys looked at her and they all laughed. "Who's this silly chick?" "You want us to do the same thing to you too?" Su Eun scoffed and answered back, "Yeah sure! C'mon and hit me now!" The guys laughed again and as they will hit her with the baseball bat, that guy suddenly stood up and protected Su Eun. He embraced her to protect her and Su Eun closed her eyes as the rain was still pouring hard on them. The guy shouted as he was still embracing Su Eun, "Stop! Don't beat her!" Su Eun was surprised upon hearing those words from someone she didn't know. The guy went on with what he was about to say, "Please...don't hurt her...beat me instead." So like what he said, the rude guys beat him hard with that baseball bat, he ignored the pain...he will endure it just to protect this girl. Blood began to trickle down his face and Su Eun just cried as she was still hidden under this guy's protective embrace. Then they heard sirens of a patrol car. The guys took a step back and they all ran away, leaving the poor guy and Su Eun on the deserted street. Su Eun stood up and helped the guy on her lap. She was really shocked when she saw the face of this guy who had protected her...it was that same mean guy whom she have met on Mokdong Street...Ji Hoon. He opened his eyes and was surpised too..."Ya...it's you." Though she have hated him when she first saw him, she can't hate him now when he's bleeding. "I'm going to bring you to the hospital." Ji Hoon shook his head and smiled faintly, "I can't say I'm sorry but I can say thank you. Thank you." Then he fell unconscious on her lap. Su Eun cried and slapped him lightly, "Ya! You dummy...don't die." Just then the patrol cars came and they brought Su Eun and Ji Hoon to the hospital.

After they were given proper treatments, Ji Hoon was brought to a private suite where he was requested to rest. Su Eun can't stay in the hospital longer because aside from the fact that her aunt would scold her again, she doesn't have money to pay the hospital bills. So she might as well leave. But before she left, she went secretly to Ji Hoon's room and stared at him. She was thinking if he has a twin brother. Because the Ji Hoon she have met in Mokdong street was quite...nope, a lot different from the Ji Hoon she has met now.

When Ji Hoon woke up, he was still in a dazed. He got up and looked all around the hospital room in his blurry eyes. When his eyesight has adjusted from the lights, he looked at the note on his bedside drawer. He picked it up and read, "Annyeong! Well...I hope you're going to be ok now. I don't know what you did to those guys for the reason that they'll beat you up. But I can't just stand there, watching you being beaten by those stupid mean guys. But that was still what I did to you. I guess I'll be the one who'll say sorry. Sorry because they beat you. And...thank you for protecting me." After reading that note, Ji Hoon let out a faint smile as he remembered how he saved Su Eun from those guys. Now he only wants to see that girl again.

Days passed by, Ji Hoon went to Mokdong Street, hoping to see Su Eun again. He sat there night and day, praying he'll get a glimpse of her on this busy street. After long days of waiting, Ji Hoon finally saw Su Eun on the sidewalk near a music store, painting the beautiful Korean mask parade in front of her. He walked up to her and stood in front of her. Su Eun slowly looked up and was surprised to see Ji Hoon in front of her with a smile. She looked down and continued with her painting despite the uneasiness. Then suddenly, he sat down in front of her and smiled again. Su Eun scoffed, "Ya! What do you want?" Ji Hoon smiled once again, "I just wanna see you face to face." Su Eun frowned and asked, "What? Face to face? Ya! Are you trying to mock me?" Ji Hoon laughed and for the first time, Su Eun can see how good-looking he is. He just went on laughing and so she began to giggle too. When Ji Hoon finally saw how she laughs and smile at the same time, he held out his hand and smiled, "Friends?" Su Eun was surprised upon hearing it. This is the first time that someone wants to make friends with her. "Don't worry, I'm not gonna hurt you again." He took her hand and shook it himself and he smiled. "Now I'm your friend."

So that's how it their friendship started. Su Eun began to see a true friend in Ji Hoon and she's really thankful because of it. They spent good times together, doing stuffs. They go to Mokdong Street together and Ji Hoon would watch nearby as Su Eun would do her painting sessions. Then they would spend time in Namsan Park, in Shindong Street eating that famous tteokbokki or go on long bike rides in the park. Ji Hoon is such a caring person to Su Eun and he adores her so much for being such a gentle and nice friend. Slowly, they began to like each other. But they have kept it to themselves for a while. Then one day, they were both walking under tree-lined roads. Su Eun shared her dreams. "You know what Ji Hoon? You're the first person who ever wanna make friends with someone like me." Ji Hoon looked at her and asked, "Why'd you say so?" Su Eun smiled faintly as tears began to flood in her innocent eyes. "I guess that's my fate. Ever since I was a kid, everyone thinks I'm a freak. I can't do anything about it. I can't force people to like me or love me either. My aunt hates me, I don't know why. Everybody hates me. Everybody...except you." Ji Hoon smiled and to her surprise, he took her hand in his and he looked at her straightly in the eyes, "It's because I love you. I love you Su Eun. I have loved you from the first day I saw you." Su Eun frowned, "If that is so, then why didn't you said sorry when I told you so?" He smiled, "It's because I wanna see how you act when I act like that." She began to cry, "You shouldn't have do it. I was so offended because I value my paintings so much. I thought you hate me too since everybody does." Ji Hoon smiled and hugged her tightly. She closed her eyes as he whispered in her ear, "I can't hate you Su Eun. That's for sure. I will never ever hurt you. Sa rang hae." Su Eun smiled too as tears couldn't stop but flow from her eyes, "Sa rang hae...Ji Hoon." Right at this moment, Su Eun can't explain the happiness she's feeling. After long years of waiting for someone to care and love her, the logn wait is over. If she hadn't met Ji Hoon on that day...she'll be spending the rest of her life in loneliness.

Time passed by and their love grew stronger with each day. So this is how it feels to love someone unconditionally. Even Ji Hoon who was once a very skeptical person, he only wants to believe in the magic of love with all his heart. With Ji Hoon, Su Eun feels how blessed she was to be present on this world with someone like Ji Hoon loving her and making her feel how special she is. Ji Hoon did everything to make her happy. Su Eun's biggest wish for how many years to have her paintings in the national gallery exhibit finally came true. Ji Hoon secretly have her paintings in Korea's national gallery and had an exclusive exhibit of her paintings. He brought her to the gallery one night, on that night of the inauguration. When they got inside the gallery, Su Eun was more than surprised and her tears flowed freely from her eyes as Ji Hoon led her along the gallery hallways where each of Su Eun's most cherished paintings were displayed and people were all admiring her works. "Why are you doing this Ji Hoon?" He smiled, "I have said this to you over and over again. But I will never tire out from saying how much I love you." She smiled back and hugged him tightly, "Kamsahamnida..."

As months passed by, they both loved each other dearly, despite all the obstacles that may come their way. One warm, summer night, they were both sitting on a bench under a lonely lamp post. Su Eun was resting her head on Ji Hoon's shoulder. They just sat there silently for a while then Su Eun spoke up, "Ji Hoon..." "Yes?" She smiled and closed her eyes, "You're the best thing that ever happened to me. Thank you for loving me this way." Ji Hoon smiled and answered back, "Thank you for making me a better person too Su Eun. I'm so thankful I have met you." She just smiled up at him and he kissed her forehead lovingly.

That night, they were heading home on Ji Hoon's car when the unexpected happens. A speeding cargo truck swerved past them and Ji Hoon bumped his car on Hanggang's suspension bridge. Su eun fell unconscious as she was trickling with blood. Ji Hoon was weak as he turned to look at the girl he loves the most, unconscious beside him. He reached out his hand to her but he can't. Later, they were both rushed to the emergency room of a hospital. When Ji Hoon's stretcher was beside Su Eun's, he held out his hand to hold her hand, "You'll be ok Su Eun. Don't give up." They were both rushed to the same emergency room and the nurses closed the curtain that separates the two lovers. Su Eun's vital signs was monitored and they performed CPR to her. But unfortunately, the monitor showed a dead static buzz. Ji Hoon tried to stood up despite the objections of the doctor and nurses who were taking care of him. He stood up and opened the curtain and he saw the dead body of his beloved Su Eun. He cried out loud as he hugged her tightly... "Su Eun!!!!! Please don't leave me!!" He was crying so hard, so heartbreaking that everyone started to cry out too.

Ji Hoon was sitting alone in Su Eun's grave yard as he was still so sad and depressed with everything that has happened. He cried softly as he was laying Su Eun's painting of him down. "Su Eun...why did you have to go? Why did you have to go so soon? I can't understand." Then he hugged Su Eun's picture as he continued to cry softly, "I'm sorry. I haven't done anything to protect you. I promised you that I would never hurt you but still I did. Mi ahn hae Su Eun...sa rang hae."

So this is how it all ends. Despite the tragic fate of Su Eun and Ji Hoon, love has continued to prove itself to both of them. Maybe God has a special reason for everything. And that reason is to prove how such two different people can find love in times when they both didn't expect it. It also tells that believing in love is really powerful because it only proves that you can endure anything just for love. Even though Su Eun's life has pre-arranged limitations, Ji Hoon's unconditional love for her is enough to make her short life happy and sweet.

P.S. I hope you all like my story guys. Thanks a lot!!
© Copyright 2007 mishi nam (mishiru009 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1215683-On-That-Day