*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216232-Hazing
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1216232
........A dangerous and cruel tradition found in many instituions around the country..
Billy Hamilton din't have the stature nor the dexterity to play college football. He tried High school sports but was unsuccessful in securing an everyday playing position. Discouraged. he continued trying to secure a position on the college football squad. Finally the coach said "I like your courage and your willingness to succeed. You have more heart than 80 percent of this team. Congratulations. You made it."
The new kid on the squad. It seemed that a few of the players wanted to take Billy out for his initiation. A traditional college outing. Friday. A blistery cold night stood Billy at the end of the goal line wearing casual clothing. He was told that some players were taking him to a local strip club for a celebration. "Come on man it's cold out here" said Billy Seconds later a car pulled along side the fence. Escaping the harsh winter weather they harbored themselves underneath the bleachers. Drinking liquor and smoking marijuana, Billy said "I don't do drugs. I'll have a beer instead."
Time passed. Slowly the players became tipsy and violent. Ralph Martin the team captain shouted "Hey Billy! Do you know what time it is?" "I know" responded Hank Lima. "Yeah I know to" said Gary Roberts. Billy said "Are we going to the strip club?" "NO. It's time to officially let you play ball with the big boys." said Ralph. Billy stood in the middle, surrounded by all three boys. They pushed him back and forth side to side until he fell. "Get up rookie!" Shouted Hank They laughed and pushed Billy to the ground several times.
Billy continued to get up and take his initiation. Gary then struck billy with an open fist. Once again he stood in the middle of the ring. Gary,Hank,and Ralph began to strike with open fists which later became kicks to the lower abdomen. Billy would not give in. Billy felt the need to say "Enough." but afraid that his team mates would think less of him as a player. He lay on the ground hoping the shoving and kicking would stop. It did for a few seconds. Hank pulled Billy up from the ground.
Smash! a nearly empty bottle of Southern Comfort broadsided Billy. Laughter surrounded him. "Get up rookie!" One after one they continued the shouting. Billy came to his knees and said "That's it guys I had enough." Gary said "Heck no!" come on guys this is the grand finale. "Whooooo....Whooooo......" they poured they remaining beer and whiskey on Billy.
Now barely standing, Billy received a blow to the head. His knees did not buckle, his face met the concrete ground with great force. Shattering his cheekbone and eye socket. The boys stood around and said "Hey Billy are you Okay!" Billy lay on a cold slab of concrete. His final resting place.
© Copyright 2007 triathlete (gerant at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216232-Hazing