*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1217703-February-14-2007---500--words
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Other · #1217703
Condemning ourselves with our own words

        I was returning from the supermarket and upon approaching my apartment I noticed a fire engine and firefighters busily putting their equipment away. I thought to myself I have to find a new place and get away from here. Recently I had lost my next-door neighbor who was one of the nicest people anyone would like to meet. His apartment was exactly in front of mine and he was the first to welcome me to my new place of abode. He was found dead in his apartment after he was missing for three days. I learnt of his death by former tenants who had moved out of the building. His passing also saddened them because his respect and love for people was mutual. During the past six months people who had grown to know and love each other by becoming good neighbors left the building. Now my closest neighbor was gone never to return any more.
         The new arrivals seemed to be different. They were younger post baby-boomers, who were not interested whether you were there or not. They had a tendency to guard their privacy and some would not even respond to a courteous good morning or how are you. Instead I heard that the cops had to be called out a couple of times to settle altercations between tenants. With all the recent happenings as I made my way to the apartment entrance I muttered to myself aloud I have to get out of this place. With righteous indignation as I passed one of the firefighters I muttered again this time a bit louder - I have to get out of this place. The young firefighter heard me and said politely “Sir what is your apartment number?” Apartment 44 I responded. “Well he continued the fire was in that apartment and we have just came out of it” I was dumbfounded but he respectfully continued. “We found a pot of beans on the stove that was burnt up that was the cause of the fire. Anyhow there were no more damages but you apartment was full of smoke and we had to pump it out. Your apartment will smell just like I am smelling sir. We have opened the windows and pull the curtain aside to air it out.
         The temperature that day was the coldest for the winter season and everything was full of the scent of smoke. I was the culprit I left the beans on the electrical stove to run a quick errand outside. I forgot and ventured out to the nearby supermarket. I condemned myself by the first words I had spoken in my self-righteous attempt to distant myself from others. In the Sermon on the Mount, which is the greatest sermon preached Jesus said “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged. (Matthew 7: 1 & 2, New Living Translation)” I now began to look inward and realized but for the grace of God I could be the vilest of sinners. Sometimes we have the tendency to behave as if we are better or more cultured. Stripped from all the dressings of civilization - societies pet term for having arrived, we take on the role of the standard-bearers of righteousness. In the presence of many we are stink with the smoke of self-righteousness and nauseating to those we should be reaching out to assist. Part of the mandate coming from Jesus is to love our neighbors even as we love ourselves
         This incident has allowed me to take stock of things I needed to do immediately. First I needed to repent of my sins of self-righteousness and second I needed to reach with a caring and loving attitude to my new neighbors. That is what the real Standard Bearer would expect me to do.

Nylsaj Nomis
© Copyright 2007 Nylsaj Nomis (nylsaj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1217703-February-14-2007---500--words