*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220319-Journal-of-a-Savior
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1220319
Story I wrote for English class last year. Re-read it and decided to post it.
Monday, August 15, 2005, 10:21 PM
Home

                   Here it is, another school year to suffer through.  More tests, quizzes, homework, and early mornings.  The only thing I like about the new year?  A new journal.  In these pages I get to re-introduce myself, with a fresh start. 
                   My name is Kiriana Mae Bonachelli.  As a member of the Bonachelli family I am a food fanatic, as well as a musician of sorts.  Not that music really runs in this Italian family, but an appreciation of food certainly does.  Even my sister, Joe the sports jock, can make a mean chicken Parmesan with a side of cheese-stuffed ravioli. 
                   No one would guess that Joe was half-Italian.  She takes more after our mother, the British-Irish-Scottish mix.  With those green eyes and silky blonde hair she draws the gazes of every person when she enters a room.  My appearance comes more from my dad’s side of the family.  Long, thick brown hair, tan skin, tall skinny body.  Very, seriously tall.  Where Joe is petite, curvy, and graceful, I’m a five-foot-ten stick figure who walks like a foal not yet steady on her legs. 
                   But enough about what Joe has where I lack.  Symphia says that I am too hard on myself, that I have my own beauty.  I think she needs to get her eyes checked.
         
                   Well at any rate, back to the first day of school.  I seriously believe that my homework load is going to kill me this year.  Because my mom likes uniqueness, I am one of the seven ‘lucky’ people to be taking Greek.  Not Spanish, French, or even Italian, but Greek.  Our teacher, Mrs. Duclensa, is so ‘thrilled’ to have us in her class that she has already given us our first project!  Hooray for small classes.
                   If I think about the academics of school anymore I think my head is just going to explode.  It wasn’t the real reason I wanted to write tonight anyway.  There’s this new guy this year, Devon, and he’s a sophomore like I am.  There’s something really weird about him, but I can’t put my finger on it.  He’s in my Greek class, and whenever I glance at him he’s staring at me.  He at least has the decency to avert his eyes when he sees me looking. 
                   His eyes!  I don’t know why I didn’t realize it before, but his eyes are the same color as mine.  Out of all the people in my family I am the only one with silver-gray eyes.  We can’t figure out whom I got them from.  Now this guy Devon has them too?  I’m going to keep my eye on this guy.
                   Oh, one more observation before I go to bed: I seem to be drinking a lot more water lately, and I can’t figure out why.  Today, for instance, I drank 2 full water bottles at lunch, and I was still thirsty!  How weird is that?


Saturday, August 20, 2005, 2:47 P.M.
Park near home
 
                   Something weird happened to me in the shower last night.  It’s been a really long, stressful week so I’m not sure if what I saw was real, but just in case it is… I had just finished washing my hair and was standing in the stream of warm water.  Suddenly, the water turned cold (as if sometimes does for no apparent reason) and I of course flinched.  My hands came up in an automatic reaction to block my body from the cold, and the water stopped hitting me!  Looking up I saw the water was still running, but it was flowing around my body.  It was as if I was in a bubble or something!
                   I must admit, I was pretty freaked out.  I put my and down and the water started hitting me again.  It had also warmed back up.  All of this occurred between ten and twenty seconds, and it hasn’t happened since.  Perhaps I was really tired and half-dreamed it.
                   Maybe Devon is messing with my head.  Often times I can feel him looking at me without turning around.  Whenever his eyes turn on me I feel hot, and all I can think of is fire.  What is going on?


Tuesday, August 23, 2005, 2:30 A.M.
Home

                   Today has been… so strange and wonderful and frightening all at the same time.  I’m not even sure I can explain all of it, but I’m going to try my best.
                   It happened a few hours ago after my shower.  I was in my room, about to get dressed when I began to feel strange.  My limbs felt like they were filled with fluid, and I found myself unable to move.  Suddenly the room grew extremely large.  It was as if I was lying on the floor looking up at the ceiling.  But I wasn’t looking, not really.
                   I could no longer see, but I still new where everything was.  My mind was creating a picture of where I was and that was what I was ‘seeing.’ 
                   For about a minute I was in shock.  The only thing going through my head was “Oh my God, what happened?”  Experimentally I tried to move my arm.  It wasn’t there.  Neither were any of my other limbs for that matter.  It was like I had dissolved
                   A strange thought floated through my head.  “I must be water.”  Absurd was what that thought was, but as soon as it crossed my mind I knew it was true.
                   Immediately I rallied my thoughts together.  Maybe if I pictured myself, I would turn back to human form.  It was worth a shot.  Concentrating I pictured myself.  I tried to remember every single thing about myself, down to the teardrop birthmark on my right shoulder.  After what seemed like forever, I felt my body solidifying.  Finally I was sitting on the floor, still dressed in only my towel.
                   My fright mostly gone, I began to wonder if I could change back into water again.  Focusing my mind, I pictured myself melting back into a puddle.  It worked!  Excided, I changed back and forth a few more times until I felt completely exhausted.
                   Now here I am, lying in my bed.  Who should I tell?  Should I show anyone?  AS cool as my parents are most of the time, I’m not sure how they’ll react to their daughter being a weird water person.
                   I know, I’ll show Symphia when I go to school!  She’s into magic and the supernatural, so maybe she knows what’s going on!


Tuesday, August 23, 2005, 7:45 P.M.

                   Wow… I have no other response to today.  Yesterday was almost nothing compared to this!  Who knew Devon was like me?  And that Symphia would know so much?  But, I should probably start at the beginning.
                   Today when I got to school I pulled Symphia into one of the old classrooms that no one ever uses.  She was still half-asleep and a little miffed at being yanked away from her morning routine of wandering the halls. 
                   “You look like crap,” the first words out of her mouth were definitely true.  I hadn’t slept at all the night before. 
                   “Just Watch!” I said, glaring at her.  Concentrating I melted and re-materialized.  When I opened my eyes Symphia was looking at me in shock. 
                   “Holy Crap!”  For one irrational moment I wondered why Symphia’s voice was so low.  Then it hit me.  Slowly turning around I faced just about the last person I expected to see.
                   “Devon!” I gasped, beginning to panic.  What if he told someone?
                   Strangely, he didn’t seem too freaked out; or very surprised, for that matter.  Without speaking he stepped away form me, and for a moment I thought he was going to run.  Then I felt like the room was getting strangely hot, and Devon’s eyes had turned a fiery-red color.  Holding out a hand he looked at it.  A ball of fire appeared in his hand, but only for a second.  After the ball disappeared Devon looked tired.  Smiling wearily at me he said, “ I know your secret, and now you know mine.  We’re not quite so different from each other.”
                   “You’re elementals!” Symphia exclaimed, sounding pleased with herself.  “Kiri, you’re water and Devon’s fire.  I’ve heard about elementals, but I didn’t know they actually existed.”
                   She went on to explain that for every one of the six elementals (earth, air, fire, water, light, and dark) there is a keeper.  These keepers are charged with protecting the earth from people who want to upset the delicate balance of the elements. 
                   After she had finished Symphia left the room, saying we probably had things to discuss.  Devon and I looked at each other, identical gray eyes mirroring confusion.  I have to admit, what Symphia said scared me a little bit.  Protector of the earth at 15?  That is a lot of responsibility.  Expressing these thoughts to Devon he nodded and said, “ It is really frightening.  But at the same time it’s exciting and it just feels right in an unexplainable way.  Know what I mean?”
                   I nodded.  I could feel it, and it was a wonderful feeling.  As I think about what my future is going to be like, I can’t help but be a little excited.  Devon said we should start training our powers tomorrow, and he promised to show me how to form a ball of water in my hand.  Maybe this whole savior-of-the-world thing will be fun. 
© Copyright 2007 Artemis (cocoguss at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220319-Journal-of-a-Savior