*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220745-An-Interview-with-Thomas-Jefferson
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest · #1220745
A conversation with Thomas Jefferson
I met Thomas Jefferson after his meeting with  Louis and Clark.Louis had come back from his journies and had his last meal with Louis in his cabin. At this point I had an opportunity to interview the President.
"Mr. President, what did you notice about Louis and Clark?"
"They were exceptinal explorers who brought back many plant samples and speices from their conquests."
"How has it effected you as a President?"
"It has shown me that their is a lot of life left out their to explore. They are brave men who have gutts and gall to do something most of us wouldn't be able to do.It has shown me that I have strength as a President to run the country without a compass and bring results to our nation."
"Mr. President, what is your relationship with Louis and Clark?"
"We are close friends. I have been deciphering their journals.and hope to get them published for the colonies to read."
"What was Mr. Louis' mood when you last saw him?"
"He was happy, elated and excited about what he had to tell me. I am aware that he has suffered from mood swings, but they have not effected his scientific research. He suffers with melancholia, but don't we all at times?"
"Mr. President, How do you explain this last conquest.?"
"It has taken a toll on Louis and he was extremely exhausted. We dined and had wine together going over his new findings. Clark had gone off on his own. It was a pleasure being with a scientist of such quality."
"Mr. President, what do you make of his dealth?"
" He was overcome with exhaustion and drink."
"Mr. President What do you make of his subsequent shooting of himself after your dinner?"
"Louis was a quiet man and did not bear his woes to even those closest to him no matter how dier they were. We should learn a lot from this great man. It is too bad that he had to die before he could see where his work was going. But melancholia can be hard to bear. I know because I suffer from it too."
"Mr. President, whould you say Louis' life was a waste.?"
"By far. He brought so much wealth back from the great divide, things we never thought we would ever see before. He was a great man,so be his loss, that others can't get to know who he really was.To me he will always be my hero and my goal for success in running this nation."
"Mr President, how will his experience make you be a better leader?"
"He taught me to go in places far beyond where my imagination goes. We as a country have a lot to learn. We have a lot to be thankful for. Our hearts need to be more open to the unknown--something we can always learn from.We are a great nation but we are divided by the confederacy. If we could have more compassion toward others and understanding, we may not have this war going on between the North and the Confederacy. Louis found that all species live together and feed off the best from each other. Why can't we do that as a nation? "
"Mr. President do you think Louis and Clark's Expedition has any bearing on the War?"
"I wish it could have a bearing. The war will have to continue so we can come to some sort of conclusion. I am afraid that is way off into the future. Louis would not be able to take the war. I am glad he is not hear to see it. Boy , I will miss him-- his wry jokes, his wit, and his openness to new sites.His peronal struggles were much like the war. Either way we will lose a lot of good men in this war on both sides. Maybe we can learn compassion from Louis and Clark's Expedition."
"Mr. President, how would you sum up your presidency so far?"
" We have created a country we can be proud of. We each have our differences and have to learn to live with them. However, right know it is at a cost--the North against the Confederacy.If anything, Louis and Clark can teach us to learn to live with our differences. They were fighting the war of the wilderness we are fighting the war of the people to stand strong and straight."
"Thank you Mr. President. for your interview. It is very insightful."
I left the interview feeling we had a strong leader who did not let adversery get in his way.We are certainly in a great time with this strong man in charge.

© Copyright 2007 Cat is Nesting (cnelson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1220745-An-Interview-with-Thomas-Jefferson