*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1221706-Read-the-Fine-Print
by AJons
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1221706
It is always in the details.
I must admit I wasn't quite prepared for what I read concerning my initial posting.
When I came across this site it was in response to a Google search entitled " write to be read ". Writing.com was the number one hit so I figured, 'search no more'. I went through the sign up process rather non-chalantly, itching to get to the point where I could post something I wanted to write and actually have it read ! The anticipation of such promise made me more eager than I have ever been on blogspsot.com.
So I wrote my entry " Not Just Words on a Page " and as some of the reviewers have noted, it was written with absolute honesty, sincerity, and conviction. To those who felt that, I say thank you because that was the message, assuming there even was a message. I just wanted to write about my need to write more than simply words appearing for your enjoyment.
What most surprised me were the reviews concentrating on grammar, syntax, use of this word or that.....as if editors were all about me ! I do think it true that writer's or any artist for that matter, are fairly thin skinned when it comes to their own work. No exception here. Be that as it may, I think I was dismayed at that type of review because it didn't address the words, the between the line thinking, the feeling or internal response on the part of the reader. Even as shy as we are to criticism of something that often comes not only from our heads but our hearts also, we still want to know, need to know, if our words have touched you in some way, did they make you think, or relate, or feel...angry, happy, horny ? That's what I am looking for at this site. Honestly, I don't want to be reviewed for style or purpose by a reader who may be thirty years younger than me ! I just don't feel that's appropriate. If they want to comment on how a piece I've written made them feel, however, I am all for it - because that is my purpose as a writer, to make you feel something, to think.
I realize now much of my dismay is my own fault for not having read the options available in limiting how I am read. Initially I was going to simply pull out and acknowledge this site wasn't the right place for me. Maybe it still isn't. But as anyone who needs to write knows, perseverance is a mightly good quality to possess. I'm going to keep trying, keep writing, expressing my views and recounting my experiences for anybody that cares to read them, and yes, comment on them. I much prefer that word over ' review'. As I mentioned,some of the comments on my post were fantastic and made me feel like I connected - and that alone is incentive enough to keep plugging away.
I am also not a selfish person. As I read more people here, my own comments on their work will not center on how I think they could have written it smoother, shorter, tighter, or whathaveyou. That is none of my business and better left to the English teachers. I will tell them how I felt upon reading their work, where it transported me, what my emotions were as a result. I think, at least I hope, they will appreciate that more than me pointing out spelling errors.
Like it or not, I'm staying put.
© Copyright 2007 AJons (abrahamjons at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1221706-Read-the-Fine-Print