*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1227171-Weight-Loss-Diets--And-Cardiac--Risk
Rated: E · Article · Health · #1227171
Four diets compared and which is best for cardiovascular risk reduction.
Many dietary methods can lead to weight loss, however; a recent study found that a high carbohydrate low glycemic index diet may be the ideal diet for weight loss and reduction of cardiovascular risk factors.

There was a recent study that compared the relative effects of several diets on weight loss and cardiovascular risk.  A total of 129 obese or overweight young adults were assigned 1 of 4 reduced fat, high fiber diets for 12 weeks.

The first two groups, diet group 1 and diet group 2 was on a high carbohydrate (55% of total calories), diet.  Diet group 1 carbohydrates being high-glycemic, and diet group 2 was the low-glycemic diet.  The next two groups, were high in protein (25% of total calories), with diet group 3 containing high glycemic index for carbohydrates and diet group 4 containing low glycemic index for carbohydrates.  The glycemic load was highest in diet group 1 and the lowest  in diet group 4.  Changes in body compostion and blood  chemistries were studied.  The average weight loss from each group was similar, but those individuals on diets 2 and diet 3 lost approximately 80% more fat mass than those on diet 1.  The LDL cholesterol levels declined significantly in diet group 2, but increased in diet group 3.

Therefore, both high protein and low glycemic index diets increased body fat loss, but cardiovascular risk reduction is enhanced by a high carbohydrate, low glycemic index diet (diet 2).

The Glycemic Index measures how quickly a food is likely to increase your blood sugar.  This may be helpful to know, particularly for the Diabetic person.  If your blood sugar is low and continue to drop during exercise, for example, you would need to eat a carbohydrate that will increase your blood sugar quickly.  On the other hand, if need to keep your blood sugar from dropping during a few hours of mild exercise or activity, you would need to eat a carbohydrate with a lower glycemic index and longer action time.

Some low glycemic index foods (less than 55) are Artichoke, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, and eggplant.

Some foods with a intermediate glycemic index (55-70) include brown rice, canned fruit cocktail, linguine, oatmeal cookies, popcorn, sweet corn and muesli.

Some foods with a high glycemic index (above 70), are golden grahams, bagel, corn chips, watermelon, honey, kaiser roll, and mashed potatoes.
© Copyright 2007 health and wellness guru (powelllnc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1227171-Weight-Loss-Diets--And-Cardiac--Risk