*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231660-The-Three-Citadels-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1231660
The fourth installment of my enthralling high fantasy saga!
Returning



And so it was that the Merrymakers of Attesberg were to be left in-charge, but in charge of what- dancing, prancing and singing? No doubt that would be a main ingredient of the way people would be living come now.

Everyone took to the news quite well when Attahl had told them the news of their new order, as far as they were concerned it was fun all round, with whisky on the top! Only… the reason (or more what Lumbey’s deceptions had led them to believe) for their departure didn’t sit to well on one or two shoulders; Going to find Celasus, some said, why on earth would they want him back, that rat bag scum of a slave is better off down the gutters! And on the more harsh(?) end of the spectrum; hang the fool I say! Tie him to a tree and let fly! of course many of these shouts weren’t at all genuine, just out of impulse or shear shock at the poor excuse to send the Prince away so soon.

After all, was the ‘missing’ (dead) servant worth the troubles of a noble prince and all the commanders of Attesberg anyway?

It was two weeks after the hasty yet somewhat tiring meeting in the caverns where the new company and journey was fashioned, much of which time was spent on pondering thoughts, at how the journey was to be completed. Where were these citadels in the first place? What is this riddle? What will they get out of it all? Where had Attesborough fled to? What was he doing now? And can we really trust this scholar?

But of course if they didn’t go ahead with this journey Attahl (led by his curiosity and imagination) persuaded them to go on… then where else would they find the answers to these questions?

It was a cloudy day, the sky full of the mists from last nights rain pour and the smell of salty, damp rain was in the air.

Attahl, Duphos and Goshua sat patiently in the entrance hall waiting for the commanders who were sending last orders to their men.

The company was to make their way to Talisburn in search of some better armour and weaponry, eagerly persuaded by Goshua who was still stiffened by the line in the riddle about ‘green skinned men’, he dared not even think about the ‘men of the mountains’, it sent shivers right down his spine. He had never gone on a journey before, not even two miles, in fact the longest travel he had to endure was that of his journey to Attesberg, up a rather steep hill. What’s more, the most daunting creature he’d ever faced were the fluffy rabbits hopping to and froe on the meadows. But stable boys are hardly expected to go on such errands as he was about to.

Suddenly all heads turned to the door expecting the six commanders to walk through, but it was the Chief Guard of one of the sentry towers looking menacing as ever. He wore silver plated armour covering his body with a rather baggy brown under garment. He never glanced at them, he turned straight to his duty elsewhere in the room.

The Entrance Hall was practically an unused room and was by no means big enough to be called a hall. No-one used it, ever.
“Curse this ill doing,” Attahl was searching in his pockets for something, something of importance judging by the look on his face. “Where is it, it must be hear!” Attahl’s fingers like the legs of a tarantula where now almost violently poking at the air in his pockets.

He had lost the Jewel! Or maybe just left it somewhere…unattended! And out of sight! How could he have done such a thing? Anyone with half a brain could pinch it.
“What is it Attahl?”
“The je-” and seeing the Guard at the corner of his eye now steadily nearing them- lowered his voice to a hoarse whisper, “it’s the Jewel. It’s not here!”

After Attahl had stopped patting every fold of his body he gave Goshua a wink, as if to say go and find it, quickly!
Immediately, catching Attahl’s eye, Goshua sprung to his feet (which immediately alerted the Guards full attention!)

Goshua turned to the Chief Guard in a state of humbleness, knowing he had to come up with an excuse for his rather rash spring to his feet, “I’m just going to the toile-”
“Solar” interrupted Attahl, remembering where he had left it, “he’s just going to the Lords lodging, just down here on the first level.”
“Yes, yes that’s where… b-back in two ticks.”

It was a good job Goshua was interrupted, not only because there was a toilet in the hall already but he was clearly not the best at improvising.

The Solar was the Lords dwelling when he was not at his favourite tower room, it was also used for storage purposes, almost like a library.

Goshua had left the hall and was now panicking trying to keep out of sight, there departure was meant to be kept secret as to avoid any uproar or inappropriate celebrations from the Merrymakers. This was why they had arranged that day to meet for departure at the unused hall. Utter secrecy was a necessity, Goshua had to get this jewel as soon as he could and maybe more importantly, as silently.

He found a cut now in a wall, and recognising it to leading to the Solar, through it he went. As he slowly walked through he realised it was quite narrower than he first expected. Almost like a tunnel, or some sort of abandoned passageway. The sharp edges of the disjointed stones were ripping into his green, rusty grey clothing. “Damn this corridor!” Goshua cursed but to no effect, the stones threw the practically unused passageway became more frequent until an intense feeling hit him, like he was trapped, he had gone so far through that the edges of rocks were enticing his skin like a vice, the more he moved the more the merciless stones ripped and tore his skin. He couldn’t turn back and by no means go ahead. fool! he said to himself, now look what you’ve got yourself into, how am I to get the jewel back in time?

Then suddenly as if from the darkness a light had finally came. A hand appeared.
It came down from the wall above. About ten feet up and grasped Goshua’s arm. It was tight. He was dragged up out of the stony passage and up onto the wall above. Like a sack. The grip too was merciless, to Goshua’s fear, like the stone vice itself.

They were on top of the wall now, him and this other…man, by the look of his build. He threw down Goshua’s arm and he hit the floor with a thud. Luckily it wasn’t heard as it was near midnight and no-one was around.

He looked up at his rescuer, or so he hoped was.
“So, Goshua!” said the figure above him in a menacing voice, “You never thought you’d bag me like that did you! With a brick?” Goshua was still lying on the floor dazed, and in a state of both shock and confusion. “A brick to the head?” the last word spun off rather sarcastically. “Not a very powerful shot you had there, little boy.” - this was insulting since Goshua was a grown man(-ish) “But it was just like you to hit me while I was in darkness, vulnerable. But lets cut to the chase, what was the Lord asking you in his tower, when you arrived on your puny little mule?”

No answer
“Come on!” he continued, “you must have some recollection! Nothing to do with the Jewel was it?”

This Goshua couldn’t resist, “What are you talking about? How do you know about the Jewel?” he jumped up, only to fall again helplessly onto the ground, his wounds overcoming him.
“Me and Attesborough have a close relationship, he tells me everything he wants, he trusts me. I know he asked you about it. He wanted to know how it works! Did he not?”

Goshua was on the floor, but slowly rising now - he began to realise who it was, as the moonlight shone on them casting shadows low down on the ground…the arrangement of features became more clear, it was Celasus! The man he killed, or thought he had down in the cellars. His swing mustn’t have been hard enough, he thought.

With a shift of hands at his backside Celasus continued, “I knew he wanted that Jewel, let alone known about it, I believe he has gone to find the citadels as you are, led by that puny prince. But there is one difference, he has an army and you don’t. You’ll not stand a chance out there in the lands unseen, you will die! And he will become ruler of the citadels himself!”
“Wrong!” said Goshua, mustering the strength to answer, his wounds now badly bleeding. “We have the Jewel and we have the scholars manuscripts, the very accounts of this journey as he went on many years ago! We know the routs, and we know what to expect!”

Celasus gave a hellish laugh, “But you are missing something…” and Celasus brought his hands forward in front of him and lo! the jewel appeared! Shining as brightly as ever. Its rays beaming through the sky, the two men could see each other clearly now. The Jewel was there indeed. But in the wrong hands!
“You evil man!” Goshua spat! He threw himself at him with fists flying, the Jewel fell out of Celasus’ hands and onto the ground below.

Suddenly the two men were locked in combat on the wall, Goshua looked back at the floor, he couldn’t see the Jewel, frightened someone may snatch it he dived out of the grapple and just as he was about to dive for it, Celasus grabbed a handful of Goshua’s long blonde hair and threw him hard onto the ground. Thumping, punching, slapping, biting - Goshua tried to free himself, but it was hopeless, Celasus was on top of him. Pounding his oppositions chest like a gorilla.

Mad cries were coming from Celasus’ mouth, foul curses, “Try to kill me will you!” he scowled. Goshua took a quick glance into Celasus’s eyes, he saw fire, red hot anger and hatred, a crazed man hell bent on destroying his enemy and would go to all ends to kill!

Realising Goshua was on the edge of death, he frantically searched his pocket, the Jewel somewhere below him, and this mad man on top, he had to try something drastic! Into his pocket he made contact with something, something sharp and metal, it was a knife! Perfect! He thought, but dare he use it?

He had to!

Amidst the thumps and yowls, he was able to see an opening in the enraged movements of Celasus’ arms. Staring now at an eye above him, he stabbed! Without thought or hesitation!

Then a scream came from Celasus that would draw water form a rock. Piercing Goshua’s ears. He left the body of his blood soaked opponent and fled off down the wall and out of an archway, off into the night.

Damn it! Goshua thought, unable to speak, he got away!

Knowing that there wasn’t much time to waste, he lunged for the bright light on the ground and landed on the source, the Jewel. And holding it tightly to his chest he lie there, in the now fresh rain, with a sense of achievement, and somewhat courage.

Meanwhile at the entrance hall Attahl was getting impatient.

The Chief Guard was also there, standing at a dressing table, fidgeting with some rather unimportant looking papers. He didn’t turn around.

Attahl rose out of his seat angrily, also with a layer of concern, “Where is he Duphos, he should be well on his way by no-”.

At that moment the door swung open, and open mouthed glances turned to see a blood etched, scar mangled, dirt infested Goshua… he was panting desperately. The foolhardy figure came out further from the doorway, “I’ve been lost, then trapped, squeezed like an orange, dragged up like grated cheese, pounded like pastry, stripped like a banana, and ended up looking like the outcome…which by the way I wouldn’t eat”.

The humour was surprising. Even more surprising considering the one-on-one he had with the Jewel not so long before.

It was after Celasus had fled into the distance, leaving a lonely Goshua clasping onto the Jewel. He was lying below the wall he had just leaped off, and in the sodden rain, soaked through with the only joy being the enticing light beaming off the artefact in his grip.

He tried to hide it’s rays in his old clothing but nothing seemed to do the trick. So luminous and vibrant, it had to much power to show.

He was staring now blankly at the walls, damp with rain water, as if to ask them what to do next. He felt stuck and lifeless. He had managed to get the jewel out of the hands of the unworthy thief, but he had escaped! All there enemies seemed to have escaped: Attesborough, his army and now Celasus. All running in the same direction and what seemed for the same reason, but what was it? He still hadn’t fathomed what Celasus spoke of earlier, how did Attesborough know about the jewel? Or the citadels? Had he gone on the journey as well? It was all getting to much to take. He couldn’t understand where the Lord had gone or why he was going there.

Now his arched rival had escaped.

He turned his glance to the ground in despair - knowing he wouldn’t get an answer, “Oh where has that savage got to? Where is that good for nothing wretch!” he slugged back, shoulders pressed up against the wall, excepting the fact that no answer would come when suddenly, the atmosphere around him seemed to lighten.

The walls where suddenly the colours of misty red, gloomy blue, green. And they were suddenly bright. Looking ahead and the ground was lit up, the pavements where a flush with colour. Then, a feeling, or a sensation massaged his hands ever so lightly, a warmth that he had not felt in his life. So soothing and eternal. Then receiving this good discernment he looked down at his hands.

It was the Jewel, it was reacting, almost…in a way he couldn’t quite comprehend, he was so drawn into it’s movements he was committed to it, and if the world erupted at that moment it wouldn’t distract him from is glare.

Fixed and now drawn ever closer to the point his nose was almost touching it, he saw shades and contrasts in colour incomprehensible to his eyes, like a rainbow showing off it’s display as much as it could before it disintegrated into the dusk.

Shades or beige, mixed with bisque, transforms into cyan, erupts into shades of lilac, fusing into golds, to compliment magenta, with mixes of maroons, blasting into ambers and crimsons, then chartreuse, giving way to a vivid khaki, with perus, then exploding into ochre, blending with celadon, combining shades of cerulean, entwining to emerald, indigo, and jade, mauve, wisteria, puce, periwinkle, scarlet, vermilion, teal, viridian and turquoise.

Then suddenly, the transformations came to an abrupt halt, and almost like an illusion a shape appeared, or more a strange symbol, alien to Goshua’s now astonished mind. And it didn’t hover, it stayed put in the centre of the jewel’s face like an engraving, etched into stone. It was on dark purple background.

Suddenly something clicked in Goshua’s mind. It was what the scholar had said in one of his manuscripts; “It can tell you things. Look at it and it will tell you. Look at it with passion. Please just look at it. Just look”.

It was right. What the scholar said was right!

It does talk to you!

It does tell you things. But in symbols!

What did this shape mean?


It must have been the answer to his question that a moment ago he didn’t even remember saying. But the jewel must have heard it and replied. What else could it have been for?

Did it know where Celasus was?

Moonlight was dim and the stars were wide spread and shimmering ever so faintly in the sky. Giving acute light to the towers and buildings of Attesberg. Life at the castle was still at sleeping hours, luckily, as the light of the jewel would have caught attention faster that a shooting star. Literally.

At the Entrance Hall the company was just about ready to depart for Talisburn to prepare for their journey to the Unseen Lands.

Scanning the expressions in the room was like looking at an audience watching a comedic pantomime, many faces holding expressions of half smiles and humorous smirks, some with slight amusement at the other persons stupidity; it was just after Goshua’s remarkable use of a metaphor using a banana and cheese pie (which by the way he still wouldn’t eat) to illustrate his long absence after being sent to fetch the jewel. However one person was not baring any expression of amusement.

Attahl stood blankly, staring at Goshua with shock and awe, and moments later so was Duphos who had just shaken off his smirk and was now aware of the state Goshua was actually in. “What on earth have you been up to? Or maybe first I should ask if your alright, not dying are you?” Duphos’ curiosity was wholly genuine.
“I have been in a bit of trouble”.
“Who with?”
“That scoundrel of a slave. Celasus appeared from out of nowhere. I was trapped between two sharp walls after spotting an opening to the Solar through a passageway when I got stuck, then I was wedged out by this man I thought was there to rescue me. Little did I know that when I was freed from his uncanny grip he lunged at me. And we were fighting on top of the wall.”

Attahl stared even harder at Goshua now, studying his eyes judging his ordeal through them as he spoke.
“He had the Jewel!” Goshua shouted as if to reply to Attahl’s glare to justify why he had made himself so noticeable on a wall when they were supposed to be leaving unnoticed. “He had it behind his back and I knew I had to get it off him.” his stare now went back to Duphos who looked more sympathetically towards him. “And I did. It did get it, but…he got away”.

Attahl’s stiff lip now opened with shock. Until he spoke; “Do you know where he went? Which direction?”
“No. I figured that getting the jewel was more important than him, so I jumped off the wall to get it and then just watched him run away into the distance. He’s probably gone to find the Lord”.
“So you didn’t manage to kill him down in the cellars then?” Attahl’s tone seemed like he was more mourning the line to himself than wanting an answer to it. He sat down on a chair with a hand over his mouth.
“But sir, what are you going to do with me? I’m drenched in blood?”

There was no answer, just deep thought from the other end.

The brooding silence which lasted about five seconds was shattered asunder by the commanders’ entrance.

Farling, Jestin, Judas, Lamtestin, Kraig and Lumbey. All in their proud black tunics stood in a line at the door. They then turned left to the Chief Guard lying in the corner of the room with a red streak at his throat. Lumbey turned to Attahl questioningly;
“He heard too much.” Came the reply.

It was first, a first in their entire lives, secluded as it was (the same was for everyone else in Attesberg) that the Commanders had stepped a foot outside the castle, stepped foot on grass, felt the openness of the hills and the freedom of the surrounding air. A first! But you would never have been able to tell, their expressions were blank, it was like they saw nothing. Like spending their lives confined in the unholy structure behind them had nullified them from feeling any emotion. Other than acute anger at repetition from nagging at labourers to do their jobs, or a twisted feeling of power and dominance (the latter was evident from their stride and fascinating poise) at being able to boss people around. Here they were, walking in the open air for the first time in their lives and not one of them showed any emotion at all, no excitement, and none of them spoke. It was upsetting to see, and it hurt Goshua (and he was also hurting from his unattended wounds that Attahl insists will be attended to at Talisburn) and to Duphos it was almost like it was just the three of them on this journey and they were being followed by six machines programmed to take but not give. However Attahl insisted that they were necessary for the journey. In fact he had said to Duphos as they were waiting in the Entrance Hall both for Goshua and the Commanders “it has been brought to my understanding, Duphos, that these noble men each have a special power, or some sort of ability at least, I’m not at all sure quite what. But for example one of them maybe an expert at lighting fires in a storm where the other may have trouble lighting a candle. Or maybe one may be an expert fighter or good at long distances, or at solving puzzles, or whatever else. I don’t know if this is true but I had an inkling after hearing what Attesborough had said to them once, he said something like ‘This is a joke! So much for his special talent, I ask him to do a single task and he finds difficulty in it. In fact Lumbey, I think he’d find difficulty in anything no matter what expertise he had.’”

It was quite daunting, for Goshua at least, to be travelling at night, there were giant birds about at this time, eagles, falcons, hawks. The thought of one of them flying over him shook him to no end. They were predators of unrivalled skill. But Goshua didn’t want to think of that, all he could think of was the pain of his wounds, which would occasionally be pushed aside by what he had saw from the jewel only hours ago. Nothing he saw reminded him of the shape that had appeared from it, and the colours mesmerized him even when thinking of them. So beautiful. He thought.

He also knew he still had a lot more to tell Attahl, and that which he did say needed more detail added. He would plan to tell him when they arrived home.
© Copyright 2007 Archaic Torso (wakeupdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231660-The-Three-Citadels-4