*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231617-The-Three-Citadels-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1231617
Third installment of my epic fantasy quest through unknown lands with unknown creatures.
The Underground Meeting



And so it was that the Lord had finally cracked. Attahl didn't seem to surprised by it in all honesty. He saw it coming. He knew that he was planning something. He could see it, he had a talent for that. He knew this dinner was not going to be a peaceful feast.

It had been three days since the Lords dramatic disappearance and the people of Attesberg were informed of it as soon as Attahl knew how to tell them.
He eventually realised that there was no calm way to tell them so he just stood at the balcony of the Lords tower and announced it. He figured this was the most practical way to do it and it would avoid the spreading of rumours. "The Lord has gone" he told them "he has been planning a scheme for some time in secret. In the caverns of this castle he has been building a discreet army of his own. And with it he plans to seek out the lands that we have not seen. And he wants to rule them, he wants to take them by force and claim them as his own, but he does not no the dangers that could lurk there. They are alien to us. Even the Lord has not seen them. But alas! This is what he wants to do and he is doing it. I don't know where he is heading or what exactly he'll do when he gets there. Thus he has abandoned this fortress and he has abandoned all of you. He does not plan on returning as far as I can see and has left you in my care. This citadel now belongs to me". As expected the words of the prince hereafter were drown out by the cheers of the recipients. And they danced and sung songs of relief and freedom. And the Merrymakers were struggling to keep up with them all. They hadn't prepared a song for it so it was 'fickle celebration' as they called it. Besides, as far as they knew it was their Salutation Song that had drove the Lord off, so a sense of fulfilment was in them. Of course that wasn't true, it was the Lords pervert curiosity that finally cracked him and made him want to escape.

It was night time and Attesberg was in sleeping. But Goshua was not idle, he had been run off his feet trying to find the Commanders of the levels and to gather them to Attahl's meeting who was in waiting with Duphos. When they were all gathered they hastily made their way to the caverns were the soldiers had been kept. It seemed a fitting placed to hold the meeting and it was secret. There was nothing in the fallen caverns except the remains of small furnaces and burnt out fires.

When Goshua returned with the Commanders they joined Attahl and Duphos who were waiting by a bright fire in the centre of the vast cave. Attahl had papers with him, a large pile of old looking papers crumbled and torn as if they were not meant to be read. And Duphos had a pile in his hand and was reading them with great interest. "Hello gentlemen," greeted Attahl. "I hope we have all gathered our senses after the Lords departure. You will need all your wits tonight for I have a lot to reveal". And they all sat down curiously waiting for the Prince to begin.

He began; "I am afraid things have gone worse than I thought. As I have said before, I knew the Lord was going to crack sooner or later, it was inevitable. And now he has gone, it's time for action. I came to Attesberg not to do trade, but to take action. I am fed up of seeing these people in misery".
"I agree," said one of the Commanders, "but if we didn't obey him we would be killed. But you are in charge now, you are our Lord and I'm sure you'll put things right".
"I will. But first I must say why I arrived late. I was in search for information. Information that no-one has looked for before as far as I know. But I found it. It was buried deep in the halls of Talisburn".
"What is it an account of?" questioned another commander with the nod of Goshua asking the same question.
"It is an account of the unseen lands. The lands were Attesborough is headed. I can only say it's a coincidence that he seeks out these lands as well. But the only difference is that I do not wish to destroy them, but simply to discover them. In my hands here I have an account that a scholar of old wrote in an attempt to do the same thing. He went to seek out the unseen lands that fortress of Attesberg didn't let him see. Little is known of him, if his age, origins or anything, he is anonymous. But he was able to escape the fortress in secret and return in secret. And during his voyage he was able to write an account of what he discovered. This Duphos and I hold in our hands is but a small part of it. For much of it was destroyed by him in fear of it being discovered. It is intuiting to say the least".
"What does it reveal?"
"Much. But it is not at all clear. However I shall read part of this out to you.."
It reads like this:

"For the life of me and all the people in Attesberg, I cannot foresee why such a beautiful place would be kept from us. As I write this I am hidden under the confines of a Goblin lair. These evil creatures must have been breeding for years, they were thousands when I arrived here south-east of the citadel. But of course this lair isn't The Beauty I speak of. But what is, is what I can see beyond it, beyond the hills and broken towers, it's light is blinding my very pupils, almost unbearable. But I cannot approach any closer for these creatures are blocking the way. They must be at least a thousand of them left, I managed to kill the bigger part of them from the left, they are a stupid people. I threw several sticks and stones at them and under the shadow of this Taluntain ridden tree, they knew not who it was. And being such imbeciles they started attacking each other and by the light of dusk the numbers had reduced by hundreds. They must have been fighting all night. This comforts me not for it shows there brutality, if they see me 1 will be dead within minutes, I am not armed bar the knife I have in my pocket and the rope for climbing purposes. I don't stand a chance even if confronted by a single one. In fact, I’m surprised the creatures haven’t tried to scavenge this tree for it’s goods already. I now turn west. It kills me to have to leave this place without visiting The Beauty. As long as these cursed Goblins roam this area no-one will be able to see it's secrets. I go now in haste.
Till the next writing"


"This is as far as this texts goes until it is destroyed with rain, but luckily we manage to read the most of it clearly".
"Who is this thing he calls The Beauty?" Asked Goshua.
"Not who" said Attahl "but what. He describes The Beauty in a later manuscript on his journey west as a 'radiant citadel of mass...' and the next words are smudged beyond understanding. But what is read is alarming. This suggests that there are more citadels in the unseen lands".
"I cannot imagine Goblin creatures living so closely to us not least there being another citadel, this is astounding indeed". Said one of the Commanders as he snatched the sheets from Duphos' hands. "This cannot be true, another citadel!".
"In fact Lamtestin" -(he learnt his name earlier) Attahl continued, "there is suggested that there are at least two more citadels like this. But what I would like to move on to next is a special instrument the scholar used on his journey, it is a remarkable object. But those who look upon it must keep their lips sealed for ever or else the magnificence of it will overpower people to utter madness. In this case that is you sitting before me."

And out of a bag laid by the side of the fire he pulled out a sort of stone, but it was more shapely, more colourful, and more majestic that any stone the company had led eyes on before.
"Huh" gasped Goshua, and a sudden memory came to him. Indeed it was the very jewel he had seen in Attahl's jacket pocket on their way to the citadel some days back. But under the gloom of the caverns it's light was even more mesmerising and flourished to every delve. And with intent eyes Goshua could make out certain shapes sticking out of it from the brim.

There seemed to be three different layers to the stone. The outermost layer was of shining white, as if the light of the brightest star was captured inside it. And it was the shape of a semi-circle. Inside of this there was that of pale blue, paler than the cloudiest skies and was triangular in shape, and the innermost layer was a deep-glistening maroon colour, of deep red and black, resembling fire. It was a peculiar shape that none of them could put a name to, it almost resembled the shape of a flame that was rising from the ashes. And the base of the stone was a diamond shaped slab, of which made the stone an immense weight.

It was a very strange object, it was like it responded to peoples looks. If someone gave it a distinct glare, the lights would flicker and contrast in brightness before going to a low shade almost dull and then raising again to it's normal radiance.
"This my friends is one of the most precious jewels in all the world. And the scholar took it with him wherever he went, he never let it out of his sight and looked after it as his own child. He would check on it night and day and study it's every transition, no matter how small it was. However, he eventually became obsessed with it, it's power had such a grip on him that it was never out of his mind, he was also a keen craftsmen, as a hobby, and he loved all materials big or small, thick or thin, hard or soft. And he became controlled by it's mysteries and longed to know how it was made, but he never attempted to make it himself, for even his talents would not come close. Nothing could. Eventually when he came back to Attesberg after two months, he threw it away, and never looked upon it again. He saw it's real beauty and wealth, it is worth ten times as more treasures than Attesberg alone you know".
"And how did you come across it?" Asked Goshua "Where on earth did you find it?"
"I found it Goshua in the cellars, the last time I came here about a year ago. Attesborough showed me around the dismal place to see if I wanted to buy any treasures off him".
"So the scholar threw it away in the cellars?"
"Yes Goshua, in the darkest corner of the deepest floor, but I found it, foolishly Attesborough left me down there to have a look at his so called treasures, and I saw a
strange looking sack packed away tightly in a corner. But it was glowing, he must have tried to conceal the light but failed in his attempts".
"But I thought he was a smith, wouldn't he have made a special material of some sort to conceal it?" Asked Goshua again.
"Yes, he was a lover of all materials. A great lover. But he was possessed and by the end of his ordeal, he wasn't thinking straight, he knew the jewel wouldn't stay hidden down there for very long but he had to try".
"What happened to him after he returned and hid the jewel," asked Duphos who was finally succumbed with curiosity.
"Well, he killed himself. After he abandoned the jewel he felt so empty inside that he simply couldn't live on. He lost all will to live and murdered himself in the cellars, and nobody found him, of course by now his body would be completely disintegrated into dust down there in the airless pit of the cellars. And now all we have of him is his account of his journey to the unseen lands".
"Did Attesborough know about him?"
"Not a clue. As I said, he was discreet and secretive, nobody noticed he was gone, everyone was kept so busy working and cleaning that they barley had time to think".
"So what exactly does this jewel do?" Asked Lamtestin.
"Precisely what I come onto next, but we must hurry, dusk is not long away and we have a citadel to manage. This next account seems to be from him preparing to leave the citadel. Although the date is not clear". He nodded to Duphos who began to read:

"/ am starting to get anxious now, I want to leave as soon as time allows, or more as soon as Attesborough allows me space. I am in my room with the light out on the first floor. Why is the night taking so long so to take over, every minute seems to drag, time is moving reluctantly. I have the jewel by my side on the table I am writing on. Right now it is more of a burden than a prize, I can't hide the light of it no matter what 1 do, I try to disguise it as a lamp when the odd per son walks past my window. It is such a strange tool, it responds to me. It gives me looks when I stare at it, like a human, a living thing. It can tell you things. Look at it and it will tell you. Look at it with passion. Please just look at it. Just look.
-ready to set off...until my next writing."


Duphos handed the piece of paper to Attahl, "Thank you Duphos, this is the earliest reading I have found on his accounts. But when I was searching for these precious papers in the halls of Talisburn some months ago it was difficult to tell, and it's difficult to tell now, and it was raining much of the way here which played hell with the ink even more".

They had spent nearly three hours down the caverns and the meeting was lasting throughout the night. They went through six fires and many buckets of sweat.

Attesberg felt empty without it's leader. But not empty with a loss of love or friendship, but more empty as a weight lifting off peoples shoulders, a shadowy burden had left the lands and was passing south, away with the marching army, wherever they were going. The people certainly didn't know and I dare say many of them didn't care for the Lords errand. For the fate of the Salutation Song had come true in it's own funny way, and I suppose the people of Attesberg were content with that.

As the moon was still glowing the intense meeting was still very much underway. And by now Attahl had learnt all the commanders' names, there was Lamtestin, Farling, Judas, Kraig, Lumbey, and Jestin. "So tell me of this journey you said we may meet Attesborough on. For that puzzled me greatly. How does it fair with these papers you bring?". Said Lumbey who was fiddling with some sticks by the dimly lit fire.
"Well, you see, the scholar knew about these other citadels, for not only did he see one of them at the Goblin Lair, but he himself knew of them, and of some of their legend. He was a well educated man and dreamt of leaving Attesberg and visiting the world outside. And spent much of his time (as well as meddling with crafts) researching on such ideas, and he eventually discovered that there were in actual fact three citadels, as well as Attesberg".

This came as a great shock to the company listening, and gasps could be heard from them. "I have here the only writing by the scholar of these three citadels, but it is in a terrible condition, and many of the words are smudged beyond reckoning. But alas! Here it is as I found it in the ancient libraries in the halls of Talisburn". Duphos handed over a rusting parchment to Attahl who began to read from it;

thereisariddleofwhatofisnotknown
inthethreetheyarekept inthewallsoronstone onthepinnaclesorthefloor
youmustfindthisriddlethroughmarshandwood
throughrockylandmountainandvalleys thepathtothethreeisnotallclear fornonehavedaredtoventureafterthem
buttheyarethere,scatteredonthelandsafar,
youmustpassthroughdangerouslands acrossthelairofthegreenskinnedcreatures thereyouwillmeetthefirst On Land
thenwesttothegreatwoodweremysteriesarestored
downfromtheriverwhererunsitthrough greattreesskrapethecloudsfromrootsintheearth therealliesmaybewaitingifyouplayitstraight
andifyoupassohifyoupassthenlookeast
greatwindswillsoarfromwingsimmeasurable fromthereyoumusttakeflight higherthanwaseverthoughtpossible
intotheheavensonthewings
ridethroughthecloudsanddontlookdown
andfromtheskiesyouwillfind the second The Air
fromhereliesthebiggestchallenge
turneasttothemountains heretofindtheladyinwaiting withredhotpassioninherstomach
butdontbefoolednoyoumusntbefooled
killthefirewithinherstomach andfleefromthepeakstothesouth andsearchforstarsintheground

thereliesthemenofthemountains
treatthemrightandgaintheirprize thenomwardstothethirdwhereakingresidesinwaiting
thisisthethird Underground
onlywiththehelpofajewelcanthisprophecybeforfilledtorevealthelandsandthecreaturesit holdstofindthethreecitadelslandskyandground
onlywithajewelcanyoudiscoverthisriddlethisriddlethisriddle onlywiththejewel!


The journey that I spoke of is the very journey written here my friends".
"But I don't understand!" said Lumbey, "what is this and where did you get it from".
"I told you already, I found it in the libraries of Talisburn. It is where all manuscripts and books of old are kept, from all sorts of sources, they are all stowed away safely I there. It is a humongous place and I spent much time down there finding these manuscripts".
"And this journey, this riddle that is spoken of here, is this written by the scholar?"
"No, this here is the ancient legend of the lands unseen. The lands that this citadel and Attesborough has not allowed us to see. And now I tell you that I want to see them. We must take this journey, we must discover it's mysteries, we must find the three citadels and we must find the riddle that is hidden within them".

And a light was in Attahl’s eyes that even Duphos had not witnessed before. It was of utter determination, and an overwhelming passion. At length Goshua spoke; "This is almost to much to take in sir, what were these things this parchment spoke of. These mountains, these forests, green skinned profanities, men of the mountains. And stars in the ground? What are they"
"That is precisely my point Goshua. We don't know. We don't know what dangers are out there. We don't know anything of our own land. And Goshua I sympathise with you for your reaction but you must back me up. You must come with me. I must discover the unseen lands and the citadels. Now what say you? Are you with me?".

And a brooding silence thickened the air as the company sat in astound and reluctant thought. No one dared speak out over the atmosphere in the caverns. Attahl was sat in waiting.

How could they leave the citadel? The lord had abandoned them and it's people, now they were to do the same?
"I want all of you to come with me," Attahl spoke again, "Lumbay, Kraig, Farling, Lamtestin, Judas, Jestin, Goshua, Duphos. I have come to Attesberg well prepared, I have these accounts from the scholar who went on this very mission, I have the riddle to guide us, and I have the jewel. I don't know what it does but according to the scholar we must study it. And that we will do. I have come to Attesberg to hold this meeting and to gather people to go on this journey with me. And I am not leaving until it is agreed on. Please!".
"I cannot deny that we all have longed to escape this citadel," Judas spoke for the first time in the meeting, "all six of us. We have all longed for escape. And now the Lord has fled in his malice I don't see why we can't".

It was daybreak outside the caverns of the castle and around the levels people were beginning to wake. The early sun was creeping up the hills in the distance and the moon had long resided.

Finally after much thinking a fixed answer had come, "Well if my master desires this journey then so do I. I shall come with you Attahl".
"Well if Duphos goes then so do I!" Said Goshua. Attahl clasped his hands together in content. "Thank you comrades, you have delighted me greatly".

Now an answer had come from Goshua and Duphos eyes were all turned on the commanders. Who were still sat by the fire. Their jet black tunics made them seen like shadows in the firelight, silent and unshaken. "Well commanders. I have not chosen you to this meeting for nothing. You are a strong and trustworthy people. And I would greatly benefit men like you on this quest".

Then one of the shadows rose and from over the fire a grim yet friendly face rose into view. "Attahl," said the stout Lumbay, "we all admire you here at the citadel. We see you as our saviour. We will go with you Attahl. But we must not abandon the people of Attesberg prince, we must leave them in good hands, and in safety if we can".
"But what authority could we leave them with?" said Lamtestin. "Both the prince and the commanders are leaving. There is no one fit for the duty." Then strangely Goshua arose in answer, "That's not true prince. We could leave the Merrymakers in charge. Yes. What a superb idea that would be sir. Have the people left in joy and happiness with the Merrymakers while we are gone”.
“That is an idea,” said Attahl soothing his chin with his fingers in thought. “Yes. Yes, I think that would do nicely”.
© Copyright 2007 Archaic Torso (wakeupdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1231617-The-Three-Citadels-3