*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233194-A-Million-Dollars
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1233194
This is the story of a relationship forever changed by a well-ntentioned lie.
A Million Dollars

“How sure are you about all of this?” Kisha stared into the dark brown eyes of her best friend. Nikki couldn’t be lying. They had been best friends for years, since third grade, and Nikki had never lied before. It all sounded so impossible, but she had no reason to lie. Soft umber rays of the coming sunset glowed in Nikki’s nappy black hair and on her bare chubby shoulders. The girls sat for a moment in awkward silence on the utility gray porch. A warm breeze stirred gently through the tall elms and maples with their shadows growing in their neighbor’s yards.
“I’m absolutely positive. Mrs. Whitaker, the white lady that Momma works for, is gonna leave her a million dollars in her Will. We’re gonna be rich!” The buzz of Mr. Green’s lawnmower two doors down deadened the roar of the busy rush hour traffic a block away. The excitement on Nikki’s face and her sincerity had almost convinced her constant companion it could be true.
Kisha slapped her leg and looked at the palm to find that she had missed. Mosquitoes were starting to get bad now that it was so hot. Her light skin was sensitive and the bite would probably swell. She kept staring at her hand, hesitating to look at her friend. The idea that somebody would leave their cook a million dollars was ridiculous. A little money for dedication and good, loyal service, maybe. Then again, her Aunt Parthenia got a real nice car that wasn’t that old and five thousand dollars when the lady she worked for died.
Nikki sensed the tension in their lack of conversation and started to scratch one of the many pimples on her cheek. She always did that when she got nervous. She had so many bumps on her face. Almost everybody teased her and none of the boys wanted to be seen talking to her. “You don’t believe me, do you?” Nikki’s expression had turned to one of hurt and disappointment. She almost whispered as she lowered her head, “Kisha, I wouldn’t lie to you. You’re my best friend in the whole world.”
Nikki was almost in tears when she finally looked up. Sneaky, her smoke and tan tomcat, had crawled into her lap but was being ignored. The cloudless summer sky was darkening rapidly behind Nikki’s back and the gang of little boys who had been playing kickball in the street was breaking up.
Kisha wanted to believe her. “I’m sorry, Nikki. Of course I believe you. It’s all just a little strange, that’s all.” Kisha’s freckled face delivered a weak smile as she peered over her comrade’s sunglasses. She was beginning to believe it. She handed the glasses back to Nikki.
“Don’t worry, Kisha. It won’t affect our relationship a bit when I become rich. In fact, I want to share whatever my mom gives me right down the middle with you. Fifty-fifty.” Nikki’s joyful smile made both of them feel relieved. God, Nikki was nice. Of course Mrs. Jones would never allow her daughter to split the fortune in two. But, it was a generous thought. She had always thought that Nikki was the sweetest person she had ever met. They could talk about anything together and she was always willing to share whatever she had with a true friend. “Oh, I got to go.” Mrs. Jones was calling Nikki to come home from their second story window across the street. “You can keep the glasses.” Her chocolate arms and legs propelled her effortlessly, undaunted by her weight. Kisha rose and skipped through the front door as the screen slapped the frame hard behind her. Seconds later she was helping her mother.
“I don’t know what I’d do without you, Kisha. You’ve become such a young woman all of the sudden.” Perspiration was dripping from Momma’s forehead as they lifted her four and six year old brothers onto the phone books that identified their chairs at the table. Momma knew how to cook but it was hot in the kitchen and a fly buzzing overhead kept pestering everyone as they tried to eat. The boys picked at each other and dinner went quickly. As Kisha started the dishes she heard Momma scolding the boys while she washed them but they knew she wasn’t much interested in spanking them. Momma was tired. Lately she was tired all the time. Mr. William was the only daddy they had ever known but he lived in Chicago. He came to visit when he could, but his new sales job kept him out of town even more. That wasn’t so good right now.
Kisha surveyed the old metal kitchen table knicked by her brothers’ pounding and wear. The linoleum was gray and torn although Momma did her best to keep it clean. New living room furniture and a new car for Dad would be great, too. Could she really believe that Nikki could be telling the truth? She’d have to ask Momma what she thought about all of the when she was more rested.
Kisha stayed in bed a little longer than usual the next day. There were things downstairs she could have been helping with and she felt guilty, but she needed some time to think. When Nikki dropped in after breakfast, Kisha heard her mother tell her that she wasn’t up yet and would be probably be out shortly. There were still a lot of doubts in her mind but Kisha decided that she should pretend to believe the story until she had reason to doubt it.
When the girls were outside jumping rope in the parking lot after lunch Nikki did something that was really strange. She told everybody that she was going to be rich and all about the lady her mother worked for. Kisha didn’t know what to do when Nikki added arrogantly that Mary was her witness and believed her even if they didn’t. Kisha’s face was flushed as she felt forced to agree with Nikki. She was trapped in public, caught between her doubt, anger and loyalty. How could Nikki put her on the spot that way? When they were finally alone, Kisha started to yell before she could control herself.
“I thought this was supposed to be secret between the two of us. Didn’t you see the way Charlotte and Diana were laughing and smirking at us? You act like you don’t know how stupid it all sounds!” Nikki looked as if she had just been slapped and she began to cry. Kisha knew it was too late to take it back now, even if she wanted to.
“You don’t believe me. You never did. You’re not my friend.” Nikki ran up the street to her house and slammed the front door, screaming her last words.
The next few days were unbearable. Nikki wouldn’t speak to her. It was more uncomfortable since they couldn’t help but see each other often. The whole neighborhood seemed to be separating into two groups because of their argument. Kisha was more popular so a larger number played with her on her side of the street. Nikki, Charlotte, and some others congregated on Nikki’s steps each day and hardly moved. The girls kept the controversy going and added some fuel of their own. Nikki’s group became known as the Fat Stupids and Kisha’s group was the Stuck-Ups. Nikki and Kisha didn’t talk about it much but the name-calling and hostility increased. Inwardly both of them knew that it had gotten out of hand but there didn’t seem to be a way to stop it.
At the end of the week, Mrs. Moore and Mrs. Jones had planned to go shopping downtown together and had included the girls in their plans. Although they each tried, neither of the parents allowed their daughter to back out. So on a bright and early Saturday morning they found themselves side by side on the bus, three seats in front of their mothers. The loud hum of the motor and the sight of all the trees and busy people had them commenting to each other and sharing the trip within a half hour. Finally there were apologizes, watery eyes and giggling between them. They had a great time shopping. On the bus ride home, they agreed that they had to trust each other and believe each other, and that was that.
The neighborhood girls and some of the boys were quite disappointed to see them walking arm in arm from the corner after the smelly bus had pulled away. Immediately everything went back to normal and it stayed that way for the next month.
School was starting soon and everyone was discussing what class they would be in and what their plans were for that year. It was really exciting because Kisha and Nikki would be going to Junior High together. Kisha was delighted but she noticed that somehow Nikki wasn’t as happy. She saw Mrs. Jones bringing home empty boxes from the grocery store, but she didn’t give it much thought. It didn’t add up until four days before school started when Nikki said that she would be moving in two days.
Kisha wasn’t able to control the disappointment and sadness. They had been through so much. They were a team on Seventh Street and it seemed as if they always had been. She knew lots of girls but without Nikki she would be alone with no one to really talk to. Nikki said that their landlord had sold the house to the city and it would be condemned and torn down. The huge green frame house with its tall ceiling and creaky stairwells wasn’t in the best of shape, but it wasn’t any older than Kisha’s. It was unfair that their house could be sold and there was nothing that they would do about it. Nikki was moving to another side of town and another school district.
The day before the big move, Mrs. Jones had Nikki stay home all day to help pack. Kisha was happy that she had also been asked to help so that she could spend as much time as possible with her buddy. Kisha came up with a brilliant idea when she was alone with Mrs. Jones packing up her sheets and towels in the bathroom. Her face, long from the sadness she was trying to hide, brightened with an answer to all their problems.
Mrs. Jones, I’ve got a terrific idea!” Nikki came thumping up the stairs with more empty boxes as Kisha spoke. “You don’t have to move. There’s a house for sale on Jamieson Street. You could buy it. Mr. Berry at the bank is really nice and I know he would give you a loan when he found out about all of the money you were coming into.
Nikki’s face turned pale in the doorway and she tried desperately to motion Kisha to stop talking by coughing and banging on the side of the door. Kisha looked over to Nikki and saw the panicked expression on her face as Mrs. Jones started to laugh.
“What money is that you’re talking about, Kisha. If I had some money, I’d fix this place up and buy it myself.” Mrs. Jones looked genuinely puzzled and curious. She had stopped folding the yellow spread and stood staring into the eyes of the young girl.
Kisha began, much slower as the enthusiasm in her voice drained. “You know, Mrs. Jones, the million dollars Mrs. Whitaker left you in her Will.”
A deadly silence between the three was shattered by the mocking and bitter laughter of the older woman.
“Where in the world did you get an idea like that, child? Mrs. Whitaker is a widow and barely has enough to pay me. One of the reasons we’re moving is ‘cause she’s being put in a home. They won’t be needing me no more.”
Kisha’s face had reddened and she stood facing Nikki and her feelings of betrayal. Running down the dark stairwell and out of the house, she said nothing to either of them. Nikki lowered her head and started to sob. Mrs. Jones knew that she had said something and turned to Nikki expecting and answer.
Kisha stood at her window looking at the truck packed with clothing and furniture and the sweaty men who continued to pile things on. Nikki was helping solemnly and every few minutes she looked up towards Kisha’s bedroom as if she knew she was being observed. Whenever she looked up, Kisha stepped back not wanting to be seen. She had not been outside today. Today she realized that the lie had bound them even closer together. But the truth was a ten-story barrier through which they would never be able to cross. Nikki had been to the house asking to talk with her. Kisha refused. There was nothing to talk about. Nikki was right the last time they had agrued. They were not friends. She was lied to and betrayed for weeks. On top of all else, everyone knew. They had even been to the elementary school to tell all of their old teachers that they were going to be rich. How would she ever face those people again? How could she ever trust anyone so much beyond her own common sense?
The truck was loaded up and it looked as if everything the Jones’ owned had fit into it. Finally, Mrs. Jones, Nikki, and her younger sister slid into the cab and sat waiting in the midday glare for the driver to get in. Kisha drew closer to the window now. It didn’t matter if Nikki saw her. They might never see each other again. Nikki looked into her window and from across the street their eyes met and Nikki started to wave sadly. With tears streaming down her cheeks, Kisha raised her had slowly and waved goodbye someone she had said she would always love, no matter what. It had been true and when they had promised it and it was true now. But they could never be friends again.
© Copyright 2007 Bobbie Jean (bobbie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233194-A-Million-Dollars