*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234440-My-Experience
Rated: E · Essay · Experience · #1234440
Personal declaration.
I have been in many situations where I am the minority.  The main one is entering into a weight room and being the only heavy person in the room.  I have done this several times, and I feel very uncomfortable and I want to leave.  It’s very hard for me to go and get the exercise that I need, because I know that I’m going to be the only “fat” person in the room.  I get looks and comments because I get tired easily and there are times that I can’t do an exercise because it’s too hard.  While some were very helpful and didn’t react too badly to me; others would give me dirty looks and would make rude comments.  Too many times people see “fat” people as being lazy and that they don’t care about themselves or about their weight.  Some think that “fat” people just sit around, eat and don’t do anything to help with their weight.  In some cases they would be right. But in others they would be so wrong.  I’m about 200 pounds over weight, but I lead a very active life, and I’ve tried everything to lose weight.  So I have decided to try something different.  A friend and I are going on a diet together and make sure that each other stays on track.  I feel that this will help both of us. 

I think that my experience is a good example for stereotypes, prejudice and discrimination because most people are afraid of what they don’t know, and instead of trying to understand it, we make fun of it or say that certain people can’t do something because of their weight, sex, or physical disability.  Too many times people look on the outside to judge who they really are, and that’s not right.  If you would get to know me, you’d find that I’m outgoing at times and I don’t act like I have a weight issue.  That’s because I don’t let it affect me like it does others and I’m not going to let my weight hold me back from life just because I’m fat.
© Copyright 2007 lostsoul (lostsoul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234440-My-Experience