*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1235209-Before-the-Trial
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Monologue · Satire · #1235209
Money talks suckers walk.
         If we are going to build me defense, you have to listen carefully. Their case is not air tight although, they have me dead to rights. The question is whether, even my guilt is not innocence.
         Now don’t look at me like that. I’m sure you know what I mean, don’t play stupid. My point is that I am guilty of what they say but that I have done nothing wrong. Get it? Oh for God’s sake, what am I paying you for?          
         Here’s how it goes. See, I was at the scene of the crime. The girl was there too. We both partook of each other’s flesh, both enjoyed the carnal pleasures. She bit me first. I slapped her because she asked me too. The shackles were her idea and she opted for asphyxiation as a method to achieve a more powerful orgasm. Of course I know it’s usually the man that does that. I’ve tried it before myself, but she  wanted to try…Now don’t get too bogged down in detail here. The details would look bad for anybody that didn’t know the context.
         What do you mean the context doesn’t look good either? Well I guess you’re like the rest of them, those who would give up our freedoms for some sort of propriety. Well, you’re my lawyer so you just put aside your prudish pre-conceived notions. Can I continue? Thank you very much.
         As her climax drew near, she became like a wild animal. She clawed the blood out of my back. When she came, she jerked downward. I heard a snap and saw that she had broken her own neck. Now that is the truth. She snapped too hard in the throes of orgasm and killed herself. What’s that? Of course, I tried to save her. I took her down and did mouth to mouth. I saw it was useless and stopped. Hospital? Well, the hospital was out of the question don’t you see. If I brought in a dead woman to the hospital, it would be ruinous to my career. She was already dead. What more could I do? I had to think of my family, you understand.
         Yes, I know it looks bad to be found at a land fill with a dead, naked woman in a garbage bag. But that doesn’t mean I killed her. I was just trying to save us all from this humiliation. I know how all of this looks out of context, but if we can simply explain to the jury how natural these actions were in context, well…perhaps they will have an open mind.
         Oh, I know that an open mind is a rare thing these days. Believe me I know that. But I also know that I have done nothing wrong. Yes, I had sex with a woman who was not my wife. Yes, things got out of hand, yes, I tried to bury her body and cover up all trace of our activity. But in those circumstances, I did exactly what any sane, law-abiding citizen would do. The only difference between me and the average guy is that I got caught and that I have enough money to explain myself. 
         See, this is why I hired you. It’s your job to show how normal my reactions were and to explain that if there had been anything I could have done to save the girl, I would have done so and to try and give her a decent burial to avoid all scandal for her was the best that could be hoped for under the circumstances.
         What about the marks around her neck? Well of course they’re my hand prints. How do you think she would achieve her ultimate orgasm. No, I did not snap her neck. She did that while flailing around in the throes of orgasm. We’ve been over this before. No I most certainly didn’t say she jerked downward as if she were in a noose. Don’t get caught up in detail. I’ve told you that before. I was not squeezing hard enough to kill her, at least I didn’t think I was. She broke her own neck! I told you that. What do you mean, did I contribute to the breaking neck by my squeezing? I was only doing what she wished me to do. If her neck was broken, it’s her own damned fault. She enjoyed it. She was smiling.
         Listen, I am not paying you to know the truth, I am paying you to tell the truth. I want you to take the building blocks I’ve given you and tell the truth I am telling you. No I am not making it up as I go along. Whose side are you on anyway?
         We don’t need the jury to say that I am not at fault, we just need them to say, I am not guilty. All that is required is that you stand up there and make them think what they would do if they were having sex with a woman, started strangling her and she broke her own neck. Just make them put themselves in my shoes. Who knows, probably half of them have been in my shoes. Hell, half the men have probably been in high heels. Now what does that have to do with anything? I told you fishnets were part of the game, the fantasy. Now that’s a low blow. Of course I shaved my legs. Do you know how itchy nylon is?
         What about her daughter? She wasn’t…oh you mean now. I’ve already arranged a generous trust fund set up. Her aunt’s family can draw on the interest and after her college graduation she can access what funds are left. I’ve been very generous to this girl. Still her aunt wants to seek the death penalty? It is outrageous what I’ll have to pay to get out of this. But, you know what they say; it’s only money.
         Just be sure that when you are in court, you project my image properly. I am a man of status in this community. I have contributed to a lot of campaigns including the judiciary. Now it is time for debts to be paid. As much as I’ve done for them, they owe me.
         Oh, one more thing, call my pastor and tell him to be in the courtroom tomorrow. Just tell him not to sit too close. And no, don’t let that simpering fool near me. I don’t want his prayers. I just need his presence.
© Copyright 2007 Common Man (commonman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1235209-Before-the-Trial