*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1236337-Mr-Fish
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1236337
Once upon a time, there was a fish who lived in a little creek...
  The orange fish pokes its head out of the water and stares at a human sitting nearby. For a brief moment, their eyes meet. Then the fish immerses its head under the surface of the creek. Idly, it wondered what that creature was doing. He had seen some of them around before, but this one was new. Well, it hardly mattered to him what the land creature did. He had other things to take care of. Swimming on busily, Mr. Fish dodged around the traffic by the creek bank.

  “Excuse me, Mr. Crayfish.”

  “Not at all, not at all.”

  “Sorry, didn’t see you there, Mrs. Catfish.”

  “Oh really now, don’t worry. It’s alright. I don’t mind.”

  “And how are the children? Good?”

  “Yes, well, Alice finally made her wonderful kelp muffins for the cooking contest they’re having over at Mr. Prawn’s bakery. I think she’ll get first prize this year since that tiring Mrs. Trout is sick and can’t make her usual sludge cake that somehow manages to win every year. Oh, and dear little Timmy has come down with the cold. I told him again and again not to go out during the night when the water is always so chilly, but that naughty boy just wouldn’t listen. Quite a hassle, I tell you.”

  “I’m very sorry to hear that Timmy’s sick. I do hope he gets better soon.”

  “I have had Dr. Herring in to see him and he said it shouldn’t last too long with proper rest. And how is your darling wife, Mr. Fish?”

  “The wife? Oh yes, the wife is doing delightfully. She just loves that shell you brought over the other day. Said she hadn’t tasted anything like it for years. Well then, be seeing you around!” Waving good-bye, Mr. Fish turned around to continue his journey. That Mrs. Catfish. She could never stop talking when one wanted her to. See, there she was, chattering off to the poor Mr. Shrimp. Ah well, it takes all sorts to make a creek.

  Now what was he doing anyways? Oh yes, lunch. It was awfully rude of the wife to kick him out of the house today. He had only been nibbling at her seaweed pie and there she was screaming at him to get out of the house until the guests came. And without lunch, too. How embarrassing if any of his friends found out. But that couldn’t be helped. Right now, he needed lunch. Ah, that sure looked like a juicy worm right ahead. Just look at it squirming. But oh! Mr. Trout had seen it too, and he looked hungry. Well he, Mr. Fish, had seen it first and no one else was getting it. Mr. Fish swam determinedly at the worm.

  Ha! He had it! And Mr. Trout would just have to find his own worm. But wait. Something- Ah! What’s happening? What’s going on? Water! Water! Can’t breathe. Can’t- Can’t-

  Looking down at the fish lying on the bank, Mr. Fish smiled with satisfaction down at his catch. His wife would be glad to have fish for their guests tonight.
© Copyright 2007 Phelina Hemtrop (uka_bookworm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1236337-Mr-Fish