*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1240138-A-Midnight-Dance-Prologue
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1240138
The prologue to A Midnight Dance. I worked hard on it so enjoy!
*Important: A list of cahracters and important terms is availible to read. I strongly suggest you look it over before continuing this read. Look for A Midnight Dance: Characters and Terms.

Prologue

Blood. Everywhere I looked I saw blood. The feud between the two clans had spilled over into my village. The night was alive with the screams and cries of the Vac’nolli clan as they fought to make an escape. My father and mother ran threw our house, gathering the elders and servants to take leave. I rushed down stairs with my teddy bear in hand. This was not how I wanted to spend my seventh birthday.

“Jhena, hurry!” My father called from somewhere in the front room. I made my way toward his voice. I couldn’t see anything through the smoke and I knew right then that my house was on fire. Smoke filled my lungs and I coughed hard.

“Dada,” I called. No answer. “Daddy where are you?” I called again. Still no answer. I felt around in the haze for anything or anyone but could find nothing. I was beginning to panic. Where was everyone? I continued to call and still, got no response.

I had just about lost hope when a hand touched my shoulder. I spun around expecting to find Victor, my Dad, standing behind me. But it was not Victor’s hand which lay upon me. It was a boy about my age. He was handsome and had tattoos on his lower wrists. The designs reminded me of Celtic symbols. I glanced up at his face and noticed his eyes were green. I froze. A Lorenicki! I thought. He was my enemy and the reason for my village and people falling to dust. I twisted free from him and turned to run but he grabbed my hand and pulled.

“This way princess.” He hollered over the cries from outside. His grip was tight though not hurting as he made his way toward the fire.

“No,” I screamed and tried to get away, but it was no use. He was much stronger than me. What was he trying to do, I thought. Get us both killed? My mind flew to the chances of living as the evil stranger inched closer to the fire, which had started at the back of the house.

I realized my chances were slim so I called to my power and projected myself into his thought. I was shocked at what I heard. ‘Save the girl, D. says. She’s my soul mate, D. says. I can’t control fire, D. says. You have to help me Del, D says. Devil! Father wants my to kill her, D wants me to save her and I’ he glanced back. ‘I could care less. But I don’t want her dead, I guess. Too many Vac’nollis have died tonight. And if she doesn’t stop pulling I’ll make her one of them.’ He shot me a Godly glance and I cringed away from him, but it got me to stop pulling. ‘Once I get her out, D. will get her to her family. The society never has to know. So young Jhena will live to ascend to her thrown, as I hope will I.’

I stopped listening. I couldn’t stand to here anymore. Drawing myself back to what was happening around me; I noticed that we had stopped a few feet from the fire. The boy raised his free hand to the flames and the fire spread as if he willed it too. Did Lorenickis’ have powers too? I wondered. As the fire moved away the back door came into focus. We both made a dash for it.

I threw out a mental blast and the door came crashed down. We emerged together, both tired from the run. I took a deep breath of fresh air and looked around me. There were people everywhere; some were screaming, some where running, some where injured, and some were already dead. Bodies littler the ground around us as the boy led me into the forest.

Once inside the cover of the trees, he let go of my hand and lifted his to his mouth. He let out an ear piercing whistle. Then he turned to me.

“You can call me Del.” He said.

“Jhena,” I answered.

After a few moments a second boy appeared, looking a lot like Del. Brothers, I thought. I glanced at his face a noticed his eyes were also green, an amazing green. I called once again to my power and entered his mind. It was blank. Oh no, I screamed in my head, I can’t read him. That could only mean one thing but I wasn’t willing to admit it.

“Take her. She’s afraid.” Del took my hand and gave it to the other boy. “This is my twin…err…D. He will take good care of you, I promise.” He glanced back at his brother. “Shift and ride her away.”

“I can’t” D. answered looking extremely frustrated. “I am trying to but it’s like a field is around me, stopping me from shifting.” They both glanced at me. “Then it’s true.” They said in unison.

“D. focus. Just get her out of here.”

Just then I heard a shout from inside the house. It sounded like my name.

“Victor.” I whispered. “Victor,” I screamed and ran for the house only to be yanked back by Del’s strong grasp.

“My dad’s in there. I have to go to him. Please,” I pleaded.

They two brothers exchanged glances and then Del ran for the house. D. picked me up with little effort and started off deeper into the trees. I peered over his shoulder in time to see Del go inside just as the roof collapsed.

“Victor!” I screamed. D. slid to a halt and spun around.

“Del, no.” He shouted. Then came the explosion. The house blew into thousands of pieces and knocked D. off his feet. We both flew backwards, my head bounced off a tree. I felt D. moving somewhere near my feet. That’s when everything went black.

I awoke to the smell of blood so strong I felt the slip of my fangs give way. I opened my eyes slowly to find D. starring down at me. I felt like I was in hell on earth and I was loving it. Next to D. was a man. Taking a minute to study him I realized I knew him. His portrait covered the walls of my home and many others of our clansmen. Hector. His name flashed into my mind. He was the first ever and most powerful of the species.

“Hector, she’s awake.” D. said, shaking Hector lightly. Hector opened his eyes. When he looked at me I noticed something very strange. He had one blue eye and one green eye. Odd, I thought; half Vac’nolli, half Lorenicki.

“Where am I?” I asked suddenly frightened. Willing my fangs away I sat up and took in my surroundings. We were deep in the forest behind my village. My body started to shake and I looked up into the eyes of the most powerful of my kind.

“Where is my family? Where is Victor?”

“Calm my child, you are safe. D. has taken good care of you and your family will be here shortly. As for Victor, I am not the person to ask. Now please lay back down.” Hector stood and turned to D. “Come D, let us leave before the clan reaches us.” I stared in disbelief as he disappeared.

D. turned to me and bent down. His hellish smell musk and pine surrounded me as he kissed my fore head. I found myself leaning into his kiss, my nose touching his throat. I pulled back fast at the realization that I was hungry. I glanced up at him.

He smiled down at me. “I love you Princess Vac’nolli. We will meet again soon.” He turned and ran. Gone, just like Hector.

Alone in the woods with dawn approaching I started to shake. I couldn’t recall ever being so afraid. I was glad I was only seven. This behavior was okay at my age.

I whipped my head to the right at the sound of a branch snapping. Through the trees I saw The Council as well as my family spill out from the foliage.

“Jhena!” many of them shouted. Others yelled “She’s alive!”

The group parted and Tianna ran to me, along with Madissa.

“Mama! Madi!” I got up and rushed into their arms. They held me tight until I could barely breathe.

“Momma, is Dada alright?” I asked, my face buried in her hair. She broke our embrace and glanced down at me.

“No, Jhena.” Tianna answered, tears pouring out from her eyes and staining her white night gown. “Lord Victor, Dada, died in the fire.”

I starred at her in shock. “What about Del? He went in to save him,” I looked up at my mother. The Council gave collective gasps and moved as one to my side.

“Jhena,” they spoke together, voices as light as a hum. “Where is Del now?” Each of the five member’s expressions was dark as they waited for me to answer.

“He went back into the house to get Dada. I saw him go in and then the house blew up. D. and I got thrown backwards and I passed out. When I woke Hector was here with D. They left before you all got here.” I explained.

Everyone within an earshot looked at me shocked. I ignored their piercing eyes and turned my attention back to Tianna. I started to cry.

“Mama, I don’t understand. If the Lorenickis are as cruel as we are told why did two of them save me. Maybe we were wrong about them. I read them, well read Del. I couldn’t read D.”

The Council looked at each other and then me. “It’s true then. She has met her… no it can’t be true. They are the enemy. Jhena, they set fire to our village, killed many of our family, and took slaves. The Lorenickis are nothing but evil.” There was a strong hint of malice in their voice.

A cold hand on my arm brought my attention back to my family. Madissa, my best friend and personal servant sat next to me. She was very weak and looked pale as were all of us. We were all hungry I noted which made this forest a very dangerous place. I glanced up at Madissa who was also crying.

“Jhena they took Chance. My baby brother is gone! They killed my Dada and ripped Chay from his arms while he died.” She fell into my lap and sobbed. I wrapped my arms around her and cradled her.

“It is no longer safe for the First Family to live with the clan.” The Council announced. “Into hiding you and your serves shall go until Jhena ascends and can take the thrown.” The clan nodded in agreement.

“But where will we hide? France is out home and the Lorenickis know every hiding place we have.” Tianna looked up at The Council with worry spreading across her face.

“You will go to the Americas.” The Council’s voice was full of order. Tianna put her hand over her mouth.

“The Americas?” She gasped.

“Yes. Live there with your help. Make a life and once Jhena ascends we will take back what is ours.” The Councils words were met with a collection of yells as they cheered their vote of yes.

“Are you sure?” Tianna asked in a shaky voice.

“Do not question an order! Do not forget the code! Go now.” The hellish figure walked from my side and turned back to Tianna, fingers pointed at me. “In time we will know the fate of our clan. In time we will know the fate of her.” The Council began to glow, and then disappeared with a flash.


I sat quietly thinking about what had happened in the last twenty-four hours. We were on our way to the Americas in no time. The fire destroyed all of our things so all we needed to do was book a flight on the first available plane. Everyone but me had fallen asleep so I took the opportunity to open the shade and look outside. It was a real hell of a sight. But I had a hard time enjoying it because my mind was racing with so many questions. Will I make it to my eighth birthday? Where would we live? What would we do for food? Would I like my new life? Could the Lorenickis or Dogs track us? Why did Del and D. save me? Where were they now? I didn’t know the answers to any of these questions. I did, however, know three things for sure; first, even though I was only seven I was in love. Second, D. was my soul mate. And finally, I knew I would see him again someday.

Blowing out a sigh, I readjusted my sunglasses and continued to gaze out at the setting sun. Pain stung my heart when I realized my horrible life in France was growing distant behind me and the new happy home in the Americas coming into view.

© Copyright 2007 Codi-Ree (readinglife at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1240138-A-Midnight-Dance-Prologue