*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1240814-The-Cabin-by-The-Little-Author
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1240814
Good fun and friendship in the mountains.
“The Cabin”
By
The Little Author

March 31, 2007




I told Diane that Alice and Wayne’s anniversary was coming up in about a month, and that I wanted to do something for them. I had been thinking that we could take them to the cabin in the mountains as a gift, since they worked so hard.

I called Wayne up and asked them over Friday night to eat dinner. He told me they could make it about eight Friday night.

Wayne and Alice arrived as dinner was nearly ready. Alice went to the kitchen to help Diane. I poured drinks for everyone and sat them on the table as the food arrived. We finished dinner, and the ladies cleaned up the kitchen.

We retired to the den, and I turned on some music. Everyone was having a good time when I told Wayne and Alice of the plan Diane and I had. They said they never had time to do things like that. They told us that they liked the idea and wanted to go with us.

We made out a list of what everyone would bring, and we all agreed that this was a good plan. The weekend was here, we were packed, and they followed us to our cabin.

I told Wayne to stay close, as we would lose phone contact. We drove out of the city. I could tell that Diane was beginning to relax. Diane and I were talking, when she started to nod off to sleep. She was coming to the realization that we were going to the cabin, and that this would be a good weekend.

I drove out to our turn off, and the road became narrow. The trees were overhanging the road, with grape vines growing up and around them. There were all different kinds of forest animals running around and though the trees.

About an hour had passed when we got to the overlook. We all got out and looked out over the mountains and took a break. We got back in the cars and drove the last leg to our cabin.

We passed the Collin’s cabin and noticed it was for sale. The next cabin was our home. We turned into the driveway, drove up to the cabin, and stopped beside the porch.

All of us got out and walked around, taking in the sights and sounds of nature. I went to open the door and I walked in. Everyone brought their things in, and I started the fire to warm the cabin up and get the humidity out.

Diane and Alice went to the kitchen to set it up. Wayne and I fixed things in the dining room and living room. I showed him the bath and the guest bedroom. Everything was going great.

Diane had brought things to make beef stew. She wanted to fix dinner in the fireplace to show Wayne and Alice what we always talked about. I agreed that we should teach the city people how mountain people cook.

Diane took Alice to the kitchen to show her how to prepare food to cook on the open fire. I showed Wayne the cauldron and the baker. Wayne was taken in on how easy things were up her and how quiet things are.

Diane brought the stew and bread to cook. I hooked the cauldron on the hook and put the lid on it. I swung it over the slow burning fire and placed the bread in the baker. Everyone sat in a chair, and I got the drinks and passed them out.

We sat and sipped our drinks until the sweet aroma of the stew and bread filled the warm cabin. Diane checked the food and said it was ready. I took it off the fire, everyone went to the dining room, and we ate our dinner.

I could tell by Wayne’s actions that he was settling down and was totally relaxed. Alice was also relaxed and was having a good time. We lit the lamps and sat at the dining table and played cards.

It was getting late, and we all decided to turn in for the night. Each couple took off to their room, and it wasn’t long until we heard Wayne snore. Diane drifted off to sleep in my arms.

The sun began to beam in our bedroom window into our eyes. As I was getting up, Diane turned over and told me good morning. I told her good morning, and gave her a kiss. We got dressed and made our way to the kitchen to start the coffee.

I started the fire in the stove, and Diane made the coffee and put it on the stove. The smell of fresh coffee had wakened Alice and Wayne. They came into the kitchen in a good mood. They agreed that when we had told them that they would be sleeping in a feather bed they were not impressed, but now they wanted one.

Diane made sausage and gravy with eggs and biscuits. When breakfast was ready, we ate. After breakfast, Wayne said that had to be the best breakfast he had eaten. Alice agreed, and told Diane that they would clean up the kitchen. We could hear them talking about the Collin’s cabin.

They came into the living room and took a seat. Wayne asked what we usually do on Saturdays. I told him that I needed to cut some wood and split the dry and bring it in. He told me that he wanted to do the work. Wayne wanted to know everything there was to know.

I took Wayne out with me and we worked until almost lunch. I told him it was time to go back to the cabin. As we walked in, Diane had lunch ready. We washed up and ate lunch.
We finished eating and cleaned up the dishes. We all went to the living room and had a cup of coffee. Wayne told us that he needed to talk to us. He told us that Alice and he had talked, and wanted to know how much effort it takes to enjoy a cabin like we do.

I told them that the work was done for the weekend except for the cooking and building the fire to cook food on. I also told them that all we do from now own was to relax.

Diane spoke up and asked me to start the fire for the hot tub. With surprised looks on their faces, Alice and Wayne looked at each other. Diane had told them to bring bathing suits with them for the hot tub.

I started the fire under the hot tub as they got dressed and got their towels. I came in and changed and fixed drinks to take with us in the tub. We all got in, and the water was just right, so we just soaked.

We all were relaxed and decided to get out. We dried off and went inside to change. We all four met back in the living room. I told Wayne everything he wanted to know about having a cabin.

Wayne and Alice went into their bedroom. We could tell they were talking. When they returned, Wayne asked me would I help him get started if he bought the Collin’s place? I told him that I would help in any way I could.

Wayne told me that Alice had written the number down as we came in, and he would like to call on it if he has signal. I told him to go ahead and call, and then we would talk. He called and got the details and told Alice all about it.

They went ahead and bought the cabin for themselves, camp there often, and seem to be a lot happier. When we all go, they usually come over Saturday night for a cookout.

We all have had a good time going to the mountains and are glad we are friends.

© Copyright 2007 The Little Author (m_smith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1240814-The-Cabin-by-The-Little-Author