*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1244440-The-Sunday-Tradition
by JudyB
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1244440
About a recurring Sunday family routine
I grew up in a rather small Midwest family --actually quite the typical family of the 50's especially, where Mom, Dad and two children was average size. Also, in keeping with that time, nearly every business was CLOSED on Sundays, everything except perhaps the golf course and bowling alley. *Smile*

Whether we went to church or not, the main Sunday meal was always at lunch time. It was a time that our family ate together, made small talk, and enjoyed each other's company.

The one recurring memory from those days of my childhood was the Sunday car ride. After relaxing from our noon meal (a time for my sister and I to play and our parents to nap), Daddy would often make the expected announcement: "Let's all go for a drive."

Into the car we would pile, and off we would go. We lived at the very edge of town, in a city that was five miles from one end to the other. Like all cities from that time period, there was a very definite "downtown" area, where the majority of the stores and businesses were.

Because nothing was open on Sundays, the only cars we would pass on the route were the many other families, also out on their Sunday drive. There was never any hurry and many friendly waves and smiles were both seen and given.

Often, after the ride through town, Daddy would continue out into the countryside where scores of farms took us far away from city life -- if only for a short while. *Smile*
Cows grazing, corn fields flourishing in the summer time, and outdoor family gatherings. The sites were always serene and restful.

Another favored spot for our Sunday drive after going through town, was to travel back using the scenic route which took us along the Lake Michigan shoreline. In summer, the beaches were always packed with kids and adults alike, and in the cooler seasons, it was fun to just watch the waves come in, or see a coal boat slowly moving along.

I miss those Sunday drives but they will always remain a treasured part of my childhood. Memories of a quieter time, where the pace of living was slower and likely ... healthier.






© Copyright 2007 JudyB (judbie46 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1244440-The-Sunday-Tradition