*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1244896-Measles-Mumps-and-Chicken-Pox
by JudyB
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Other · #1244896
My memory of having these illnesses
Today virtually every school child is required to be immunized against a host of diseases, ones that were common among children of the 50's.

In the 50's, it was to be expected that when one child became ill, the others in the family would soon follow suit. And usually it did happen this way. I only had one sister, Marlene, several years older than me. As she began school before I did, when mumps, measles and chicken pox came her way, I always knew it wouldn't be long before I had my turn at missing a week of school. *Smile*

I don't recall any of them as being particularly difficult to live with. More than anything, I remember all three of them more as a vacation from school. Yes, I had to stay in bed a good part of the day, but I also felt special and catered to. My parents always brought me my meals on a tray, were especially nice to me, and often...my childhood ills brought something new for me to play with!

In retrospect, I thoroughly enjoyed being sick! I remember the mumps being rather uncomfortable, but the measles and chicken pox were a "walk in the park" so to speak. In those days, doctors actually made home visits, and I can remember the doctor coming to diagnose my illnesses. How life has changed!

The days of the "family doctor" were special but are all but gone today. Only a select few who practice medicine today, choose to visit their patients at home. These are a special breed, indeed, and I commend them for kindness and care in treating those who are ill.

Today, parents must bundle up their sick infants and youngsters, and take them out into the bustling world, into the bright lights of doctors offices or emergency rooms (if after hours). How much gentler it was in the days of my childhood, for a sick child to be able to remain resting, and have the doctor visit at home.







© Copyright 2007 JudyB (judbie46 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1244896-Measles-Mumps-and-Chicken-Pox