*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1245602-Mysterious-Island
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1245602
Something evil is going on on a mysterious island...
Mysterious Island


         Long ago there was a mysterious island called Manarue Island.  Banished to this island forever, by an order of wizards, was a witch.  She was evil, pure evil.  What she had done previously is unspeakable. People have tried to burn her but to no avail, every time she somehow managed to stop it, as well as any attempts to kill her.  Thus she was banished of course she tried to escape but she could not so she waited and bided her time.

         This witch, called Azarmai, had devised a plan over the years.  Some years ago Azarmai noticed she could still affect the outside world with her magic.  So she devised a plan to use incredibly powerful disasters and destroy the world and the time she would do this was now.  Manarue Island is in the middle of the ocean of this magical world.  She was put here in hopes that should never hurt anyone ever again.  All that was around Manarue Island was miles and miles of ocean.

         Far away, to the east of Manarue Island, In a continent called, Izarae, mostly surrounded by mountains, there was a long stretch of land that was about two miles wide, which varied a little.  This stretch of land led too the ocean from which one can see Manarue Island, a small dot in the distance.  The miles of ocean were not the only problem one who would try to reach Manarue Island would face especially if they took this path, The Path of Manarue.

Not too far from the cost, some miles off there were a very wide pit with a long while down, of about two hundred feet were magma sat stretching from one end in wait, the pit was full of it.  Not only that, the pit was about two miles wide of the path to the other, and about ten miles long this place was known as Magma Pit.

This was not everything that stood in an adventure’s way, however, further along there was a forest, a mysterious and evil forest.  Lumps in the ground were constantly moving along the ground of the forest.  Moving in mysterious ways but never surfacing, unless a passer by comes along.  After entering, chances are that the person will never be seen again this place was known as The Forest of Death.

         There was a small piece of land, more beautiful then anyone had ever seen.  Although ruled by what was thought to be, the most vicious of all creatures.  These creatures were dragons.  Dragons were believed, among many, to be vicious and evil.  But in reality, most of them, were gentle, there was an odd dragon every ten years or so who would turn out to be evil.  These dragons wanted nothing but the best for the world, and tried to achieve just that.

         The reason that the dragons were trapped in this small piece of land was because of one such evil dragon, who wanted nothing but destruction.  Because of this dragon, named “Krinrad”, the people of the world no longer trusted them, and they were banished to this small piece of land.  However, the dragons did have one request before they were banished, magical doorways that they could use to travel outside they’re home every so often.

         In the home of the Dragons there was a great deal of magic.  But lately the magic seemed to be disappearing from the world especially in the land of the dragons.  Thus several doorways had begun to close, and several dragons began to whither away.

         Eventually there was only one remaining dragon that was strong enough too do anything.  Of course the dragons figured out that it was the witch who was responsible for the loss in magic and tried to kill her but all of them failed.  The final remaining dragon, named Jex, made a decision to take out this witch.

         Jex was a very young looking dragon; he was a very light blue colour.  His scales were large and would join close to his tail.  His height was still at about the average height of a person.  His wings were very small; of everything Jex's wing's had the most growing to do.

         All he could do for now was glide, he could not yet fly.  But there was one odd thing about Jex, one thing that made him special; if one were to look deep into his eyes they would see the courage and wisdom of one of the bravest and wisest dragons ever.

Jex also had a red mane that went from the top of his head to down just before where his neck met his body.  Small bumps, on either side of this main on the top of Jex's head, there was evidence of horns growing, there was evidence of horns growing through Jex's head but on the top was where the horns were most noticeable.

Jex was far from the most powerful dragon ever, although, because of his size, Jex can seem to be very week, but he is actually quite strong for a dragon of his age and size.

         Jex was one to put off doing anything that he thought would be considered "work", he always wanted to play.  In the past he would make up an excuse to get out of doing this "work" and would run off to play.  But Jex was also an odd dragon as when his world faces severe danger he will spring into action to take down the threat, no matter how powerful that threat is.  Jex did not fear for his own life, he knew that as long as his friends and family would be safe, then he would be happy despite what happens to him.

         "You mustn’t go fight that witch Jex," said one of several Dragon Elders, "Azarmai will surly kill you, as she did the others".

         "No, I'm going!  Someone has to kill this witch before it's too late and all the magic's gone!"  The Dragon Elder tried to stand as Jex said this but fell back down with a thud.

         "All right Jex if you truly believe you can then we all believe you can!”  With this Jex began his journey.

But before Jex could leave his dragon home a dragonfly quickly flew out of one of the remaining portals.  He was a bit large for a dragonfly, and he shone with a sliver light.

This dragonfly came from a special race of dragonflies; dragonflies would come in all shapes sizes and colours, of course.  These dragonflies are powerful, and their power can be determined by the colour of the light around their bodies is and how bright it is.  Usually this light is so bright that few creatures in the world could look at them.

The light that determines how strong a dragonfly is works as though the dragonflies that are red coloured are the strongest, while the ones that are blue coloured are the weakest.  But this dragonfly was odd, as there was only one other sliver-coloured dragonfly ever seen before.

         "Hello?  Are there any dragons left who can still fight?"  With a response that startled the dragonfly Jex spoke up and said,

         "I can still fight.”

With that, the dragonfly spun around and gazed upon the small, young dragon.

         "Hello, and you are?"  Asked the dragonfly.

         "I'm Jex and I’m the only dragon who can still move let alone fight.  Who are you?”

         "I am Sky-Right, and I came here too help the dragons defeat Azarmai once and for all".

         "Well I'm the only one left, and if you want, then you can come but if you are going to then you had better be of some help!"  With that said Jex and Sky-Right traveled through the portal.

         "So this is the Path of Manarue…” said Jex leaving the portal.

         "Yes this is the path, I have been here before, I can lead you through it."  Said Sky-Right rather cheerfully.

         "That's great!  Lead on!"  With that Sky-Right nodded and flew off and Jex dashed off from behind.  In the sky one could see a rainbow coloured light flying off toward Manarue Island.  This was all the magic in the world being collected. 

On Manarue Island there was a tall, dormant volcano.  Azarmai forced the magic into this volcano where it would be stored until all the magic was collected.  The witch was very happy now almost all the magic was collected and her revenge was close at hand.

         Jex and Sky-Right had been traveling for hours when they came upon The Forest of Death, which were some miles from the portal.  They ventured into the forest but felt something odd and ominous as they did.  Not long after they entered it seemed to them that they were lost, as they didn't know where they were or where to go.  They could have sworn that they were not far from the entrance but when they looked back the entrance was nowhere in sight it was as though the trees had moved.

Ignoring this, Jex and Sky-Right continued on, but soon Jex could have sworn something was wrong as he felt something move in the ground under his feet.  Also ignoring this Jex and Sky-Right continued on for a while until they stopped completely when they heard some odd noises it was not long before this noise was coming from every direction

Suddenly Jex felt vines wrap around his feet and lift him into the air.  He looked at Sky-Right to see him being completely wrapped in vines.  After this Jex looked foreword and saw what was making him and Sky-Right heard earlier.  The ground opened up and more vines came up out of it and headed towards Jex.

When they were close enough Jex blew fire at the vines, which caused them to whither and burn away into ash.  Jex could see the fire on the stretch all the way down the vine and into the opening in the earth.  Not long after this there was a terrifying scream.

         Sky-Right was being completely covered in vines and soon there wasn't any sign of him left but a very bright light shone through the spaces between the vines.  Soon after this the vines were completely incinerated.  Free from the vines Sky-Right flew off in the direction that he hoped to be the exit.  Jex on the other hand was still stuck.

Jex looked under him and saw the ground open up and saw what looked to be some kind of plant creature.  Jex could not see this creature very well but it seemed to resemble
the insect eating plant known as the Venus flytrap, only several times the size it should be.  Jex could also see the plants eyes in the darkness, which glowed a very bright red.

The monster opened its large mouth and began to lower Jex.  As the plant did this Jex blew fire at one of the vines which then began to whither and caused the monster to scream.  Jex then blew fire on the remaining vines and glided to the ground.  Jex turned around and looked at the opening in the earth to see more vines shoot up out of the ground and head towards him.

Jex turned around and ran in the same direction that Sky-Right went in, but the vines were close behind him and were closing fast.  It wasn't long before Jex saw the exit, but saw another problem as two trees moved and blocked his exit.

Jex blew a fireball at one of these trees, which instantly exploded in fire, and fell to the ground, the tree burned vigorously until nothing was left but ash.  Jex now had an exit and he was heading for it but the vines were near his tail and would catch him in seconds.  Jex then made it out in just in time as the vines tried to grab onto him.

Jex and Sky-Right were now in a very wide opened plain, the plain went on for some more miles but it didn't take long for the duo to get through it.  Soon they came upon a wide chasm and Sky-Right knew they had reached the Magma Pit.

         "How do we get across this?"  Jex Asked.  Sky-Right just looked at him and said.

         "I can give you some of my magic it won’t last very long but you should be able to get across this chasm.  With that Jex looked off into the distance and saw the ocean.

         "Alright let's do it!" Jex said cheerfully.  Sky-Right charged his power into a single shot and blasted Jex with it.  This new energy caused Jex's wings to grow large in size and well developed. 

A sparkling Jex ran toward the chasm, jumped, and flew across to the other side Sky-Right followed a little behind.  Doing some tricks in the air Jex sure took his time getting to the other side.

         Soon Jex began too lose Sky-Right's power and he began to descend as his wings slowly shrank.  He rushed to get to the other side and just barley made it.  Jex soon fell and crashed and slid along the ground Sky-Right was soon there beside him. 

         "Get up Jex!  We have to get going!" said Sky-Right turning to face Jex who slowly got up and was ready to continue on.  After getting up and shaking dust off his body.  Jex was ready to continue on and Sky-Right had already flown off towards the ocean.

         Following Sky-Right's lead, he and Jex soon reached the ocean.  This was where they were faced with one more problem.

         "How do we get passed here? You can't swim can you?"  Jex asked looking at the dragonfly then back at the ocean.

         "Well...no I can't swim..." said Sky-Right looking a bit sad.  Seeing Sky-Right's sadness Jex asked.

         "What about you’re magic?"

         "It won't last long enough...”

         "Well just point me in the direction of the island I'll take care of the rest"  Using his body like an arrow Sky-Right pointed toward a small dot in the distance

         "That's it, that small dot out there" said Sky-Right still a bit sad.

         "That's it?  All right Sky-Right you go back to your home I’ll take care of things from here"

Sky-Right began to turn away but took one last look at the island in the distance.  In one a quick second Sky-Right was gone in the direction of Manarue Island.

         Jex swam and swam for several miles before he noticed anything wrong.  He swam over gorges and and small spouts of steam rising out of the ocean floor. 

But eventually Jex started to notice earthquake after earthquake.  The spouts of steam became bigger and bigger.  Soon these earthquakes looked big enough to tear a country apart and the spouts soon became too big and the earth erupted below them.  Azarmai must have started her revenge! Jex thought in a hurry as he continued to swim along the ocean floor.

         Above water Sky-Right was having some trouble as he was facing waves of which he's never seen before.  There was a quick break in the waves where Sky-Right saw Manarue Island in the distance.  He could see what looked to be a giant tornado erupting out of a volcano.  This made him think of one thing

         "Azarmai must have released the magic!  Oh no! Jex!" screamed Sky-Right, not realizing that he hasn’t lost any magic, created a small bubble around him and dived down into the depths.  Sky-Right soon caught sight of Jex.  Jex and Sky-Right argued for a little while but decided to set this aside for later and they continued on.  Jex continued on while Sky-Right returned to the surface.

         Both Jex and Sky-Right eventually reached Manarue Island and headed out toward a fairly large clearing in the middle of a large forest in front of them.  Meanwhile all around the world earthquakes tore countries apart, Tornados flattened cities, volcanoes drowned towns, and tidal waves sank islands.

         Jex and Sky-Right were running out of time to find Azarmai, but they had discovered another problem upon arriving at Manarue Island, it was a big place, and finding Azarmai, wouldn’t be as easy as they thought.  They figured that Azarmai would be near the volcano, but they could not see anyway to get to her.  Thinking they had no choice, they ventured through the nearby forest.  There they found two guards, put there by Azarmai herself.

         They charged at the guards, Jex flaming the first one, which sent him off running until he fell into, large hole in the ground.  Sky-Right blew a few blasts at the other guard, until it was blinded for a moment, then Sky-Right let loose a powerful blast of pure electricity on the guard.  This blast was so powerful that it threw the guard back, and into the same hole that the first guard fell into.  Afterwards Jex and Sky-Right went on through the forest, and soon came upon the volcano.

         At the volcano, Sky-Right immediately noticed a doorway into the interior of the volcano, and directed Jex to it.  As they ventured into the cave, they noticed that it was unusually cold for a volcano, but they figured that it was because the volcano is being used for magic instead of magma.  Jex and Sky-Right traveled onward through the twisting cave, it was as though the cave ran in complete circles around the volcano.  They encountered many more of Azarmai’s creations, including one that jumped out of the ground and latched onto the Jex’s back leaving it up to Sky-Right to blast it away.

         Jex and Sky-Right, eventually made it to a round room near the center of the volcano, there was, what looked to be, a large storm cloud rushing up the center and through the opening in the volcano.  “So this is what happens to large amounts of concentrated magic…”  Sky-Right mumbled to himself.  The duo looked around until they saw several ledges leading up to another cave near the top of the volcano, Sky-Right immediately went for this cave and waited there for Jex.

Jex followed as quickly as he could behind Sky-Right, jumping from platform to platform, quickly jumping off crumbling platforms, and destroying miniature versions of the Venus Fly-Trap that he had run into earlier.  When Jex finally caught up with Sky-Right, they went through another, long, twisting cave, filled with more of Azarmai’s creations.  When Jex and Sky-Right saw light, they figured that they must be near the top of the volcano, and they were right.  As they exited the cave, they went up the short path to the top of the volcano.

         There they found, floating some hundreds of feet in the air, Azarmai, who was dressed in old dark brown rags, her dark brown hair blew wildly in the wind in a tangled mess.  Her face was absolutely covered in wrinkles; also there were very deep and dark bags under Azarmai's eyes. 

As for her eyes they were an icy blue, which showed her coldness for the world, and its creatures, her eyes were also outlined by a firey red colour, which showed her determination for the destruction of everything in the world.

         "You are too late! My revenge is now! AHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!" screamed Azarmai.

         "Not if we have anything to say about it" said the two compainions in succession.  The battle for the world was about to begin.

         Screaming Azarmai sent a large bolt of lightning at Jex and Sky-Right who both dodged the shot and Jex went and spit fire at Azarmai giving her a good burn.  Azarmai then conjured up fireballs and threw them at Jex each bigger then the last. Jex, however, managed to dodge each shot except the last one, which he nearly dodged, but he had hit the side of the fireball.

This caused the fireball to explode and sent Jex for a short flight.  Taking the opportunity Sky-Right flew in close and sent a couple of shots at Azarmai, which caught her attention.  Reacting quickly Azarmai sent fireballs at Sky-Right who, for the moment, dodged them.

Taking hold of this moment Jex charged at Azarmai and spit fire out at her, burning her entire body.  But Jex wasn't fast enough; soon before he burned Azarmai she sent a fireball at Sky-Right that was a direct hit.  When Jex saw Sky-Right beginning to fall from the hit, he ran too the aid of his new friend.

         "Jex you can't defeat her alone," mumbled Sky-Right to Jex "I'm going to give you all my power.  I will not survive this fight, Jex, defeat her for both of us…and the world!"

         “NO! SKY-RIGHT! You can’t die! Not yet! I need you by my side to defeat her! You’re a great friend to me, I don’t want to lose you like this” cried Jex

         “It’s too late Jex…I’ve already taken the shot…whether or not I give you my power, I will die, and you need this power to kill Azarmai.  Please Jex…it is the only way.”

“NO Sky-Right I wont let you! I will find a way to save you, there has to be a way to save you!”

“No, Jex, there isn’t…it’s up to you know…defeat Azarmai…and save the world…”

With that Sky-Right and Jex glowed with a mystical rainbow light.  Suddenly a magical blue ball flew from Sky-Right to Jex.  Then Sky-Right lay down and closed his eyes ready for a sleep that he would never wake up from.

         “NOOOOOO!  SKY-RIGHT!  NOOOOOO!”  cried Jex with endless amounts of tears running down his face.

Jex, not wanting to, took in all of Sky-Right’s magic and was transformed.  He grew into a magnificent dragon, with more power then any dragon has ever had.  Turning to face Azarmai he started to walk toward her.  Azarmai sent a flurry of attacks at Jex and backed away as she did so, not one of these attacks affected Jex.  Meanwhile in the, dark, clouded, sky Azarmai was also focusing magic to create the largest lightning bolt ever seen, with enough power to destroy an island.

         Walking slowly towards Azarmai letting all kinds of attacks hit him.  Fireballs, spears made of ice and rock, electricity, anything Azarmai could create was being thrown at Jex.  But not one seemed to affect him, she even sent a fireball as big as half the opening of the volcano, and failed in her attempts to stop Jex.  When Jex reached Azarmai he hit her with one final blast of fire, which completely covered her body, and then quickly shot her up in the air with a head but.

         The burnt Azarmai flew into the air, until she was met with the giant lightning bolt brewing in the sky.  The lightning bolt fired out of the cloud and hit Azarmai taking her down to Jex and the island.  Jex jumped out of the way just in time but when the lightning bolt hit, it caused Azarmai's body to explode.  The force of the lightning bolt hitting the island caused it to completely crack, the island was starting to fall apart.

         Water shot out of the quickly spreading cracks.  Pieces of the island crumbled off and sank into the ocean.  Sky-Right was lying near the edge of volcano, and was starting to fall off.  There was not much time left, as Sky-Right fell off the edge, and as he did Jex ran towards the edge and jumped off after him, Jex eventually caught up with Sky-Right and grabbed him and landed on a near-by platform.  Jex did not have enough room to make a take off here, he was stuck, but just as he was about to give up the wall behind him collapsed revealing yet another cave.

         Charging through the cave, as fast as he could, Jex hoped that this would give him a way off the island.  Although he soon noticed that the cave was getting steeper and steeper as he went down.  Soon before the path was too steep, Jex was back in the center of the volcano, at the deepest point.  Here all the magic was collected, and appeared as a light blue colour, all the magic was returning here again.

Jex took Sky-Right around the room, and up another part of the path towards another doorway, once outside again he heard some noises and then noticed some boulders falling down.  Jex looked up to see a boulder coming down right for him!  Diving back into the cave, Jex barley missed the falling boulder, but it had taken out the platform that he was just standing on.

Running toward the exit, Jex jumped right when he reached the entrance, and began to fly home.  He could see a very large portion of the island rising as it began to sink, looking behind him, Jex saw that the volcano was crumbling away.

But in the centre of where the island used to be a rainbow coloured light shot up and exploded in the sky sending the rainbow coloured light in every direction around the world.  The magic had returned, but none returned to Sky-Right, this worried Jex.  Jex continued to speed towards his home.

         It did not take Jex long to reach the Path of Manarue.  Jex sped along the path but there was a problem.  Not far behind Jex the earth began to crack and fall into a deep chasm.  Jex flew on and on he eventually reached the Magma Pit.

As Jex flew across this chasm incredibly large columns of magma and fire shot up before Jex.  Being very careful Jex was able to dodge them.  But he did have a couple of close calls.  Meanwhile behind him the earth continued to disappear into the chasm including the magma.

         Jex reached the other side and continued on his way home with Sky-Right still on his back.  Continuously charging on and on, Jex quickly reached The Forest of Death.  Jex flew to the forest, as he did it looked like some of the trees were trying to move but they could not.  The earth cracked away and took some of the trees with them but soon a vine came up from the earth and grabbed onto Jex's tail.

Feeling a slight tug Jex turned around to see that the plant creature had grabbed onto his tail.  With a quick move of his tail Jex tore the vine out of the creature’s body and then noticed that the creature had taken Sky-Right.  Deciding to end this Jex blew a very large fireball at the creature, which burst into flames and burned vigorously.  The plant was beginning to whither and Jex tore the Sky-Right from the withered plant and threw him onto his back and continued on as the plant crumbled into dust.

         Jex rushed to try to catch up to the crumbling earth, which was quickly nearing the portal.  Jex knew that once the earth would reach the portal it would fall and once it would hit the bottom of the chasm it would be destroyed.  Jex raced on but was a bit scared when he saw that the crumbling of the earth made it before he did.  When the portal began to fall Jex followed it and soon reached it before the portal hit the ground.  This shattered when it did hit the ground.

         On the other side Jex emerged from the portal with Sky-Right on his back seconds before the portal turned to stone and crumbled away into dust.  Everything was now back to normal the dragons were alive and thriving, all the portals were again open and there was no longer a rainbow light in the sky.

         "Who are you?  Are you…Xiphon?  No…No! it couldn’t be you…you died! Over one hundred years ago!" asked one of the Dragon Elders.

         “Xiphon?  It’s me!  Don’t you recognize me?” replied a worried Jex

         "Jex?...Is that really you?" asked another Elder.  Jex just looked at them and said.

         "Yes...It's me.  But we have a problem.  Sky-Right used all his magic to make me like this and now i don't know how to bring him back".  Jex set Sky-Right down on the ground he looked very dark and was completely limp.

         "If you truly want him back then concentrate everything you have on that" one of the Dragon Elders said to Jex who did as he was told.  Concentrating as hard as he could Jex began to glow then he began to shrink as a rainbow light left him and went to Sky-Right.  The rainbow light entered Sky-Right and revived him.  Getting up Sky-Right said

         "Jex! You did it!". Replied Sky-Right happily.

         "Yes I did, but Dragon Elder why is it that Azarmai didn't take any of mine or Sky-Right's magic?" asked Jex looking the Dragon Elder in the eye.

         "That's because you and Sky-Right are special.  Both yours and Sky-Right's magic is the most powerful in the world that's why she couldn't take any and why you were able to defeat her" replayed the Dragon Elder.

         "But how do you know that?" replied Jex cheeringly.

         “I Know, because I have felt it within the two of you.”

         “I think I understand…”

         "Well I must return home but I will return and visit, also from now on Jex, you will always be welcomed into the dragonfly kingdom."  Said Sky-Right a bit saddened by the fact that he must leave.

         "Alright, I will also visit you to, Sky-Right."  Said Jex also a bit saddened for the same reason as Sky-Right.

         "Well it seems that you two have quickly become friends and I have a feeling that you two will have a bright and dangerous future together."  Said the Dragon Elder to both Jex and Sky-Right.

The End


© Copyright 2007 GhostDragon (ghost at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1245602-Mysterious-Island