*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1245759-Dance-with-me
by lhayes
Rated: E · Short Story · Religious · #1245759
I was hiding in the shadows of the corner of the room...
I was hiding in the shadows of the corner of the room, dressed in my second-hand evening dress.  No one could see me there.  No one could mock me or laugh at me there.  I was hidden from the world.  I was safe.

Soft music and dim lights filled the room.  The aroma of perfume floated on the air.  Stunning women dressed in dazzling evening gowns walked arm and arm with their darling Prince Charming. 

My heart ached more and more as each couple pranced to the dance floor in their splendor.  Each  knowing how beautiful they looked; how envious others were of them. As they graciously danced across the floor, they laughed and smiled as if they were on top of the world.  Oh what I would give to be like them, if only for a moment.

My heart was wounded, battered, and torn.  I didn’t understand why I felt so contemptible.  Why did I have this life?  Why didn’t God make me beautiful like everyone else here?  What have I done to God to make him hate me?  Why did God put me here to have no one to dance with? 

Gazing enviously at the people on the dance floor I realized something isn’t right.  I couldn’t quite figure out what it was, so I kept watching.  Watching each delicate movement, each graceful turn and dip I noticed the rhythm of their bodies was different than the rhythm of the music.  Not much, just enough to distinguish.  It was hard to realize there was a flaw in this beautifully painted masterpiece of art.  These picturesque people that I was so envious of were not in rhythm with the music. 

Dance after dance I scrutinized each movement.  Each dance seemed a little more out of rhythm than the last.  Each woman seemed a little more uncomfortable, each man a little more uneasy until they all appeared to be in agony.  The laughter turned into tears and the smiles into scowls.  The graceful movements turned into unbearable duties. 

Still standing in the shadows in the corner, I ask myself the same questions again.  Why did I have this life?  Why didn’t God make me beautiful like everyone else here?  What had I done to God to make Him hate me?  Why did God put me here to have no one to dance with?  I wanted to understand what was happening.  What is it God wanted me to see? 

The music softened, I could barely hear it.  It sounded like a quiet whisper.  The people were still trying to dance, straining to keep their rhythm.  At that moment a voice was heard over everything.  He gently said “dance with me.  You will always hear the music.  I will keep you in rhythm.” 

I looked around the room to see who else heard Him.  No one.  No one stopped what they’re doing to listen to Him, they just kept struggling to dance.  They all seemed so lost and confused, so oblivious.  I felt pity for them.  “I hear you God” rushed out of my mouth.

I felt God’s tender hand lead me out of the shadows of the corner.  I was afraid and timid; afraid to be out in the open in front of all of these people.  Again God’s words came to comfort me.  “Fear not, for I am with you.”  Suddenly,  I wasn’t afraid.  I was smiling.  Laughter gushed out of me like an overflowing river, as He led me to the dance floor.  Soothingly He held my hand firmly in His.  My God was holding me close.  I felt refuge in His arms. 

The music was beautiful.  Subtle, yet strong.  The rhythm was perfect.  I felt my body gliding with each note.  I realized this was a genuine dance.  There was no struggling, no agony, just gliding with Him.  Allowing God to lead me in my dance of life, I will never get out of rhythm.
© Copyright 2007 lhayes (lhayes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1245759-Dance-with-me