*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1245835-The-Rainforest-and-You-a-Swift-Aproach
Rated: E · Essay · Satire · #1245835
This piece was inspired by Jonathan Swift's 'A Modest Proposal'. Satire essays are fun!
In today’s ever-changing world of space-age technology, growing poverty and gripping global war, many people fail to recognize a serious problem that could be quickly and easily solved.  This problem is one of great magnitude, and we cannot afford to blatantly ignore this grave dilemma that stands before us any longer.  The rainforest habitat is on the brink of collapse.  They desperately need assistance and protection before they disappear completely.

The ever-shrinking rainforests are home to thousands of species of plants and animals, including many that are unique to this fertile environment and many more that are in great danger of becoming extinct unless something can be done to save them.  The many trees provide an abundance of unpolluted oxygen that we all depend on for our survival.  Despite its fragile condition and vital function to our planet, it is being ruthlessly torn apart to make products like paper and to make room for your exploding population.  Even without the threat of deforestation, many endangered species would become extinct through the gruesome practice of poaching animals for a meager profit.  Even with the illegalizing of poaching and the sparse protection given to the animals with wildlife reserves, the rainforests are continuing to diminish by 6,417 acres every hour. 

Since illegalizing the causes of the destruction of the rainforest obviously is not working and shows no potential to work in future circumstances, it should, instead, be made absolutely impossible to make even a mild attack on this precious location.  In order to protect the rainforest from any predicaments that it might incur, I propose the construction of an enormous wall, spanning the entire circumference of the all of the rainforests on our planet Earth.  This barrier, in order to offer complete protection, must stand over seventy meters in height in order surpass the height of the forest canopy.  In addition, a large, mesh-like material will blanket the top of the rainforest, preventing entry by any bloodthirsty poachers while still allowing in vital sunlight and rain. 

There are many advantages incorporated in my proposal that reach every end of the social, environmental, economical and moral spectrum.  Besides eliminating the poaching of endangered rainforest animals and preventing the devastating deforestation of rainforest habitat, my proposal also protects those who reside in areas surrounding or are otherwise visiting areas that are contiguous to the rainforests.  The residents, being permanent or temporary, would no longer fear attacks from vicious predators like jaguars, large constrictors and venomous spiders that would often leak out of the surrounding wildlife; these attacks lead to distrust and hatred of wild animals and the local from which they derived.  The mesh atop the rainforest would prevent disease-ridden mosquitoes and other nasty vermin from wreaking havoc and causing an agonizing slow death by malaria, West Nile and yellow fever; these vermin also bring the destruction of many valuable crops.  The building of this tremendous project would need a substantial workforce; thus boosting the economy by creating jobs for construction and subsequent maintenance of the said wall.  Finally, the delicately preserved rainforest plants would consume vast amounts of carbon dioxide, the leading cause of global warming, and produce an oxygen-rich environment.

The rainforest needs to be protected before it disappears completely.  Fabrication of such a barricade has worked well in the past and is expected to work well in the future.  We can learn from successes of similar projects set forth in China, Berlin and even current solutions to illegal immigration.  The only way to guarantee the survival of such an important habitat is not to set ineffective and inefficient laws and restrictions, but to make it virtually impossible to violate any laws currently in place. 
© Copyright 2007 The Pheasant (skidznet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1245835-The-Rainforest-and-You-a-Swift-Aproach