*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1246187-The-Dark-Visitor---Chapters-1-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Mystery · #1246187
A lawyer gets approached by a strange proposition - the penalty of not complying is death.
* Chapter One *


          “I guess this comes at an awkward moment,” I spoke to the group of people around me, “but I’ve run out of time to tell you all this. I know you came here expecting to be safe but, in a sense, you are all in mortal danger.”
The faces around me were full of fright and worry as we all stood in this musty room. They all stared at me as if in hatred as I sat in the dusty old rocking chair with this book and a pen and thought of a beginning to this story…
          I never would have thought that we would all end up stuck together somewhere when I first met these travelers. I used to be just an ordinary person walking down an ordinary street toward an ordinary apartment. One day, though, I ran into the man that would change all of that, a man that would give me a gift by taking everything away.
***
***

          I handed the vendor two one-dollar bills and fifty-eight cents in change.
          “Thanks, Mike.” He said to me as he handed me the hot dog and chips and placed the money into his cart. “Come back again tomorrow, bud.”
          “I come back everyday, Jerry.” I chuckled as I picked up my briefcase and walked toward my office building down the way. “Why would tomorrow be any exception?”
          “I just like saying it, y’know?” Jerry held out his hands. “Makes me feel like I have real friends, Mike.”
          “I’m your real friend.” I gave him a sly grin. “What better friend to have than a lawyer?”
          Jerry Hopkins owned the Happy Dogs hot dog stand right in front of the Guire and Associates building; my work. Always being a nice guy and joking with customers made Jerry the best hot dog vendor in all of New York City.
          I, Mike Jenkins, was a top lawyer at the Guire and Associates building on Wall Street. I had been offered a partner position once before but, well, a partnership just was not right for me.
          I crumbled the empty napkin and threw it in a garbage receptacle in front of the giant scraper. The doorman opened the glass doors.
          “Good afternoon, Mr. Jenkins.” He stared at me as I walked by. “How’s your day been, sir?”
          “Fine, Ben,” I headed toward the elevators, “just fine.”
          Ben Watson was an African-American doorman for our building. Although he sometimes seemed uninterested in his work, he was very good at his job and very polite to whoever entered the structure. He planned on quitting soon. Everyone would miss him. I know I will.
          The golden, mirrored doors slowly separated to show an enclosure half-crowded with other lawyers and staff of Guire and Associates. As I entered the crowded space, the people inside stared at me.
          “You always eat at the vendor’s.” A womanly voice called from behind me. “What’s so good about it? Do they put something extra in your chips?”
          I turned with a sly grin across my face and stared at the woman dressed in a red skirt suit.
          “No, Sylvia.” She grabbed my arm as I answered and shifted through the crowd so that she could stand beside me. “They only do that for you. None of us are so lucky.”
          Sylvia Stanton was a junior associate moving quickly up the branches of the settlement and, will one day, maybe, even get promoted and become a partner. Just thinking of her being my boss makes me shudder. Just now it seems I will never find out the terror of it all.
          “Slick one, Jenkins.” She smiled and showed her pearl white teeth. “Just watch what you say to me when I become a partner. I could easily get your position revoked.”
          The elevator doors slowly opened and she exited the cabin. As the doors closed again, I loosened my tie and ran my hands through my hair. I never liked ties very much but, because of Sylvia and her new conversion plans, every male is required to wear one.
          My office was on the thirteenth floor although it is said to be unlucky for some but it was just right for me, being already quite unlucky in my own way. Finally, the elevator stopped on the thirteenth floor and the doors slowly creaked open. My face turned mournful as I stared at the familiar person who greeted my arrival.
          “Nice to see you finally show up, Mr. Jenkins.” Lewis Guire snickered upon my stepping out of the compartment.
          Lewis Guire was founder of Guire and Associates and a really big pain in the office. Always pestering me for work and dues, he constantly rained on my perfect days that seldomly arrive. Even though the circumstances were less than inviting, I sure am glad I finally left that demented man’s employment.
          “Just couldn’t wait to see you, sir.” I grinned as he and I slowly walked down the hall and into my office.
          “One day, Mike, your sarcasm is gonna get you fired.” I hated the earnestness in his inclement voice.
          “Yes, I know.” I set down my briefcase, sat in my chair, and gazed up at the discontented man. “Well, sir, what have you brought to ruin yet another one of my days with today?”
          “I only came to deliver this letter to you.” He tossed a ragged envelope onto my desk as he scowled. “Came this morning.”
          I picked up the wrinkled article and twisted it in my hands.
          “This morning, huh?” I set it down and glanced back at Lewis. “If I had some spare change, I’d tip you for doing such a wonderful job at delivering my fan mail.” I grinned as his scowl grew larger.
          “Next time,” he walked out the door, “pick up your own mail!” He slammed the door and I was left alone in my office.
          I gazed slowly back down at the envelope on my desk and gently picked it up for fear it may fall apart. I turned it over and ripped it open because I was curious as to what this letter was. Pulling out the crisp paper inside, I silently read the document:
          Mr. Mike Jenkins:
          A few days ago, I noticed you walking down the street from your apartment; holding a suitcase in hand and sipping a cup of black coffee. I was amazed as to how content you seemed to be and thought that you are the perfect figure to help me with this mission I am so desperate to complete. Astonished as to your success in you workplace and your relationship and wit toward your colleagues, bosses, and friends, I wish for you to meet me today at the Robust Coffee Shop (where you purchased the black and cream I saw you with) at 7:00 p.m. sharp…tonight. I advise you to come alone for the information I will give you is secret and must not be shared until the time of climax. It is substantial that you follow these guidelines. See you there!


          I turned the letter over but there was no originator anywhere on the paper. I checked the envelope but no return address could be found. I placed the paper on my desk and studied the old-fashioned handwriting on the page. Startled, I jumped when there was a knock at my door.
          “Mr. Lewis?” My secretary Gloria Walker opened the door and peered in. “Are you alright?”
          Gloria Walker was a very intellectual person with a heart of pure gold. Though she never quite understood what I did at the firm, she often had a lot of fun trying to assist me on my cases.
          “Just startled, I guess.” My hands shook as I adjusted my composure. “What is it?”
          “You have a phone call on Line Four, sir.” She opened the door the rest of the way and gazed at me worryingly. “I know you said not to be disturbed but they said it was rather important.”
          “Thank you, Gloria.” I motioned for her to leave as I picked up the receiver and pressed the connector for Line Four. “This is Jenkins.”
          “I know who you are, Mike.” The mysterious voice sounded at the other end of the line.
          I turned toward the grand window behind me.
          “Who is this?”
          “No matter. I only phoned to make sure that you received my letter.”
          “Yes,” I replied, “I have. I just don’t understand…”
          “I can’t explain over the phone but, if you meet me at the place and time listed in the request, I can explain it all at that time.”
          I gradually reached for a button on the side of my phone.
          “By the way,” the voice paused, “don’t bother tracing the call. I am on a downtown payphone that is used by at least hundred people a day.”
          My hand shrunk back from the taunting button and rested on the letter.
          “What do you want?” My voice began quivering as I tried to calm down.
          “All I wish for is that you show up at the Robust Coffee Shop at the designated time for us to discuss this endeavor.”
          There was a long pause as I leaned back in my chair and placed the letter into my lap.
          “There is no way out of this, Mike. I will get you one way or another. You get the advantage of choosing how this may be consummated.”
          The line clicked and a dial tone erupted into my ears. Trembling, I turned back toward my desk and hung up my phone. For the longest time, I quivered like that; too fearful of the haunting voice that would soon be my undoing. What’s going on? I thought to myself as I turned on my computer. Who was that?

* Chapter Two *


          The day still being far from over, I sighed and leaned back against the smooth leather chair. Out of the corner of my eye, I gazed at the now crumpled document sitting on the ground by my desk. Sighing silently again, I bent down and picked up the mass, straightened it back out, and read it again. This time, the words seemed even more horrifying than the first few times I had studied the words and phrases.
          “Sir?” Gloria peered into the room as she opened the door.
          I dropped the paper back to the floorboards as my hands started shaking anew.
          “What is it now, Gloria?” I was still a little bothered by both the letter and the phone call.
          “Sorry, sir, but I just came in here to tell you that Mr. Guire has requested your presence in his office now.” She stared at me as I stood from my comfortable posture and walked to the door. “Everyone can see how you’ve been acting since you received that letter this morning.” I half-ignored her as I exited my office and walked to the elevators. “You haven’t been yourself, sir.”
          The doors slowly closed, cutting off the conversation of worry. Although I hated to admit it, I knew Gloria was correct about the difference in my usually sarcastic attitude after Lewis’s visit to my quarters.
          “Fancy seeing you here, Jenkins.” I dreaded the voice that spoke my name from behind me. “I just love making our visits a weekly ritual.”
          Being already in an unusually wretched mood, I turned toward her with a scornful look upon my face.
          “Leave me be, Sylvia.” I growled at her. “I’m not in the mood for your unnerving games.”
          “Aren’t we a little touchy, Mike?” She grabbed my arm again and pulled me to her. “Have you forgotten what we had together?”
          “That’s the point, Sylvia,” I yanked my arm away, “what we had together. Past tense I believe, Sweetie.”
          A disgusted look crossed her face as she glared intently at me.
          “I hope you’re happy with your decision, Mike.” She took a step away from me. “I’m getting fed up with your run-arounds.”
          Sylvia and I; well, that is actually a very interesting story. Long before she joined the firm, we had been together for a long time. Of course, this was long before I began to condemn how flawless she was in her own scanty world. Another obsession that I still have yet to confess is the fact that the name I scorn upon its mention is the same name I groan while alone in my bed.
          “I can feel your heart, Mike.” She positioned her dainty hand on my chest. “I can feel it beat and break.”
          I grasped her hand and tossed it from my essence.
          “You feel nothing.” I growled as her expression seemed to suddenly turn indignant. “All you feel is yourself.”
          The elevator dinged and the doors opened to the corridor that would set me free from this conversation. I could feel her frosty stare as I exited the compartment and walked down the red-carpeted hall.
          I detested being that hidden from her. I loathed the way I would never tell her what the mystery was behind my harsh words and empty stares. Somehow, I yearn to enlighten her now.
          I pounded my unsympathetic fist against the heavy wooden door and gradually turned the knob.
          “Mr. Guire?” I scoffed into his office. “I received your message.”
          His chair was turned toward me and his face beheld a scornful gaze.
          “Come in, Mike.” He leaned forward against his desk. “Have a seat.”
          I could feel the bitterness of the air as I entered the room and slowly shut the door behind me.
          “I’m all right, sir.” I walked nearer to his desk. “I would rather stand.”
          “Let’s cut to the chase, shall we?” He paused as I placed my hand inside one of my pockets. “Neither one of us like each other and we both know that the only reason you are still with the company is because you are the only worthy lawyer in this city.” He leaned back against his chair and placed both his arms on the armrests.
          “Did you call me here just to criticize me, sir, because I already get that a lot from the other…”
          “No, Mike,” he rudely cut me off as I removed my hand from my pocket, “I did not want to judge you, I just wish for you to converse with me about, well, important things.”
          “Important things?” I finally sat in the chair he had offered formerly as the confusion reigned on my mind. “I don’t understand what things you’re talking about, Lewis.”
          “That letter you received this morning,” he paused as he leaned against his desk once again, “who was it from?”
          “Don’t know, sir.” I crossed my legs and also leaned against the back of the chair. “There was no author or return address anywhere on the document.”
He scowled at me more and the intense stare began to make me feel quite uneasy as I sat there.
          “I don’t like the fact of you receiving unlabeled mail, Jenkins.” He pointed at me with his glasses as he spoke. “I also don’t like the fact of you coming to work late and leaving early everyday.”
          “Well, sir…”
          “No, Mike. That’s enough. I’m tired of your behavior and this is all gonna stop.” He lowered his spectacles and leaned back. “I’ve scheduled you for two months of paid vacation as I think of what to do with you.”
          “Yes, sir.” I knew better than to quarrel with Lewis when he spoke with his eyeglasses as tools.
          Regretfully, I stood and walked toward the seemingly vile door.
          “As long as it’s paid vacation,” I turned the cold brass knob, “I’ll start it now.” I exited and shut the door after me before he could disagree.
          I guess I halfway smiled as I walked back down the passage and into the already ajar doors of the elevator. I had almost gotten fired; yet, I seemed almost pleased at the outcome of our discussion. Maybe I really was crazy as people think now.
          I entered my office and snarled at the blinking illumination of my Voice Mail indicator. I had only been out for a few minutes and someone had already found a method to finish me off. I slumped down into my chair and pushed the blinking button.
          “You have one new message.” the computerized voice spoke. “Message One…”
          I could almost feel the breath on the back of my neck as I listened to the startling message.
          “Mr. Jenkins,” the mysterious voice once again spoke to me, “I hope you have made a decision as to how we might accomplish our meeting at seven tonight. I would be dreadfully disappointed if you were not to arrive. I recommend that you meet at the appointed time and place instead of making it much more difficult than it has to transpire. Have a good day, Mike.”
          The deafening beep erupted in my office as the mystifying person hung up the phone. I shuddered slightly. Although I had heard the voice once before and read his letter many times, he still seemed, well, out of place. Something was wrong with him and I could feel it.
          Suddenly, the phone rang and I was reluctant to answer it at first but soon, I picked up the handset.
          “This is Jenkins.” I half-mumbled into the microphone.
          “What took you so long, Mike?” A womanly voice instantly relieved my remorse. “I was about to hang up for a second there.”
          “I’m sorry, Leslie,” I laid my head in my hand, “I wasn’t expecting it to be such a friendly voice.”
          Leslie Turk was a hospital administrator down at Cathman Memorial and also a very good friend of mine. Recently, she had gotten married to another one of my good friends, Jerry Hopkins. I keep forgetting. Now she is Leslie Hopkins, not Turk.
          “It’s all right, Mike. I just called to tell you that Lewis called here and told me about the argument you two had a few minutes ago.”
          I lifted my head abruptly and stared out the window at the hospital across the street.
          “Why?” I questioned as I saw a figure move past the window.
          “He never told me that. He just explained to me that you were going on vacation for two months, paid. Also, a stranger called here for you but refused to tell his name.”
          The hairs on the back of my neck instantaneously stood up.
          “What? What did you say?”
          “You heard me, Mike. I’m still confused as to why he called here but he told me to relay a message to you.” She paused. “Robust at seven.”
          My breath caught in my throat as I tried not to gasp in terror.
          “What’s that supposed to mean, Mike?”
          “I have to go.”
          I could hear her calling my name as I hung up the handset and yanked the phone from the wall. I threw it to the opposite side of the room and stood out of my chair. I immediately picked up my briefcase and rushed out of the scraper while all the people stared at me as I ran in ultimate dread.

* Chapter Three *


          Breathing heavily, I ran into my apartment, closed, and locked the door. I dropped my briefcase and plopped down onto my old couch. The dust on the shelves and cabinets and nearly all of the furniture almost seemed inviting. I never really had the time or patience to clean the place, none-the-less, to polish it.
          I knew that my worry and consternation could be felt in the atmosphere when my small cat came running up to me so as to comfort and set my longing at ease. Never had I had a closer companion than that petite feline that resided in my care.
          “If only you knew, Missy,” I whispered as I gently scratched her ears, “what kind of day I’ve had.”
          She writhed beneath my fingers and her pelt was silky to the touch. She bathed herself almost every minute of everyday as though she was eternally defiled.
          A gentle breeze flew in through the slightly opened window and circulated through the apartment. The breeze was cool and made me feel relaxed even after what I had been through this diminished of days. At least my dear companion was here to keep me company.
          Although I was now in the safety of my own apartment, I still wondered about the mysterious being that haunted me and requested my appearance tonight. Should I go? Should I not? I was uncertain of what I should do as I walked toward the chamber in the back of the apartment that I had claimed as mine.
          I could sense her behind me as Missy followed me into the forsaken chamber and into the lavatory connected therein. I stared intensely into the glass-mirrored surface and into my impudent eyes. I could almost behold myself swimming free within their depths. Maybe that was how it was all supposed to be.
          I jumped as I felt Missy rub against my leg with her soft fur. Never had I been so nervous in all my life, even of the slightest things. Even I could tell that I was taking this matter of ‘Robust at seven’ too seriously. Missy was tense as I bent down and picked her up.
          “Sorry, Missy.” I soothed her. “It has nothing personal to do with you.” Missy purred a soothing purr and rubbed against my chin. “Run along now.” I told her as I set her onto the cold linoleum floor. “I don’t have time right now.”
          I was really tired at the time but, now, I wish I had stayed awake. That was when I crawled into my bed without even changing my clothes and fell into a vast sleep full of dreams of coffee and threatening letters and calls.

          The agonizing yowl echoed through the apartment. I bolted upright in my bed and gazed around with alarmed eyes. What on earth was that? I asked myself as I tediously and cautiously clambered out from beneath the blankets and stood on the carpeted floor.
          “Missy?” I called down the barren corridor. “Missy!”
          I could hear a shuffling and a muffled growl come from the hall bathroom.           Vigorously shaking, I approached the partially ajar door and peered inside. The window was dark which meant that night had fallen. I could hear steady dripping emitting from within the shower stall so I tentatively entered the room and opened the curtains.
          I hollered in dread as I stared at the dreadful vision behind the linen. I fell to my knees and covered my eyes from the sight. Inside the stall and behind the curtains hung Missy, my precious Missy. Her throat had been cut and she hung from a rope around the showerhead. Her blood slowly dripped onto the tile of the shower floor and I could see a message written in her blood on the wall. ‘I warned you,’ it read. I gazed at the clock hanging on the side of the bathroom wall.
          “7:20.” I whispered and stared back at the cat.
          I cried out in grief and collapsed to the floor. The dismay of seeing her like that will linger with me infinitely. I sobbed in anguish as the thought of being without my companion entered my mind. The tears fell from my eyes and dripped onto the floor as my heart seemed to break and my mind cracked under the realization of what this stranger could do.
          I slowly lifted myself and crawled toward my room and collapsed onto the supple and tempting bed. My mind spun rapidly as I fell into the deepest sleep that I had ever had as the sorrow enveloped me and my tears doused my pillow.

          I did not want to answer the phone but I knew, for some reason, I had to. I picked up the warm handset and placed it to my ear.
          “What is it?” I spoke imprudently into the receiver.
          “I thought we had an agreement, Mike.” The unwelcome voice spoke roughly to me. “I made my intentions entirely apparent. I am greatly displeased with you.” I bolted up in my bed and gazed about the room. “Since I am such a compassionate mind, I consider I could give you another opportunity to meet me.”
          “Compassionate?” I growled into the receiver. “You’re about as compassionate as…”
          “No-no, Mike.” He cut me off as my rage was about to explode. “We don’t want to lose our heads now do we?” There was a short and silent pause. “Now, down to business. I will set another time and location for us to convene. If you don’t appear at my request this time,” I could hear him breathe heavily, “I may take more than a friend from you.”
          The line clicked and all was silent around me. Slowly, I hung up the garnished phone and stared into the unfathomable oblivion. I could feel myself weep again as an apparition of Missy flashed before my eyes. Never will I ever forgive that man for taking the only companion I had ever known.
          I slowly arose from the bed and walked into my lavatory. I flicked the light switch and cursed at the radiant light. I sat on the edge of the bathtub and gazed into the mirror in front of me. I looked like I had not had a wink of sleep the entire night.
          “No work today.” I murmured discontentedly. “No one to share my first day off with.”
          I gradually stood and left the bathroom without turning off the light. I shambled down the hallway and into the kitchen. I opened the refrigerator and a cool air flowed toward me from its depths. I grabbed a bottle of water and slammed the door shut. I miserably shuffled back down the hall and back into my room. I grabbed the remote control and clicked on the television.
          “In today’s news,” the announcer began, “there have been several occurrences of missing persons in New York City. So far the police have no leads but only ponder one question, ‘Is this coincidence or something more?”
          I turned the channel on the television. I was in no mood for missing people or homicides. I was already dealing with the both. Suddenly, I caught something out of the corner of my eye that completely took my attention off the television.
          The words flowing from the speakers began to drown out as my eyes grew wider as I gaped. My hands began to shake and, soon, my entire body was shivering as if some winter wind had fastened itself to me. I dropped the remote control and slowly stood as I gawked in dismay. The bathroom light was off and the door slightly shut. Someone’s here, I thought to myself as I skulked toward the bedroom door. Someone is in my apartment but…why?
          I could almost here the person breathing as I slowly opened the door and stepped into the hallway. I could feel my heart beat rapidly escalate as I cautiously walked down the long corridor. All of a sudden, the phone rang and I ran to the one in the living room.
          “Call him off!” I yelled into the receiver as I answered the phone.
          “Calm down, Mike.” The voice calmly responded to my request.
          “Get him out of here!” I yelled as I cowered on my couch.
          “All in good time, Mike. All in good time.”
          “What do you want?” My voice was shaky as I tried to calm myself down. “What is it you want with me?”
          “All I ask of you is to arrive at the appointed time and place. We wouldn’t want another disaster now, would we?”
          There was an uncomforting pause.
          “You haven’t given me another time. How do you expect me to…”
          “You shall find out the new request in good time, Mike.” He breathed heavily. “Although I know that you wish for me dead, I am of a sensible mind and shall inform you of the new arrangements.” Another extensive pause as the air in my apartment stood still. “Mike?”
          “I’m still here you worthless…”
          “Now, Mike,” he interrupted, “don’t lose your temper. Our new engagement is today…”
          “Today?” I almost yelled into the phone as I rudely interrupted him.
          “Yes, Mike, today at seven o’clock p.m. at Robust.”
          “Why the same time and place?”
          “I like being consistent. Nothing is more unnerving to me than too much change.” He slowly paused. “Don’t be late, Mike. I would hate for you to be responsible for another tragedy.”
          The line clicked and a dial tone erupted into my ears. I gazed quickly around but saw nothing. I listened carefully but could hear nothing. I sighed in relief as I stood from the couch and hurried out the front door.
© Copyright 2007 Kittie Reeves (kittie_w at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1246187-The-Dark-Visitor---Chapters-1-3