*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1246191-Double-Dribble---Chapter-3-Hurdles
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sports · #1246191
The third chapter of Double Dribble, where the tryouts are still going on
As the guys in team D sat down at the spectator stands, Jamal motioned his teammates to the huddle.

“Guys, we did good but for the match between team B and C we look at the guy we’re supposed to be marking by position.”

And that’s what the 6 guys in team D did when the match started. It was soon quite apparent that team C was the better team overall.

“Maybe I’ll look at team C a little bit more instead…” Kelvin thought to himself. Quickly team C got to 10 points while team B only had 2 points.

Coach Acer saw the score and motioned for a substitution.

“Team C, Andy Johnson for Shareef El-Amin. Team B, John Smith for Henry Rodge.”

While both teams had their players subbed, Ricky took notice of one of the reserve players.

“That guy looked quite well-built. I think he might be good.” He said flatly. His teammates didn’t really know which guy he was referring to since both reserve players looked a little muscular.

“Yo Ricky which one you’re referring to?” Hotshot asked while looking back at Ricky. But Ricky didn’t answer, giving Hotshot a quick look that seemed to send him a message “look for yourself” which Hotshot seemed to understand quickly. “Geez, at least don’t stare at me like that.” Hotshot blurted.

Immediately team D realized who Ricky was referring to once the match started. Team B’s overall feel changed once John Smith was inserted into the lineup. Even their seemingly inefficient point guard before substitution moved his game level up for at least a notch.

John Smith was almost everywhere. He started the game by shooting a 3 pointer, and on his end he made a block over a guy who’s 6 foot 10 (he’s about 6 foot 6) in the paint. After that he made a no-look pass to an open player who made another 3 pointer. He made his presence felt.

Not soon thereafter the score was tied with 10-10 and team C never got the ball to touch the rim.

While perhaps not as flashy as Hotshot on the offensive end, John Smith was more efficient. He didn’t force his shots over defenders, and passing to other players who had open looks. Sometimes he did a fake pass or a forward step on his non-pivot foot to shift the balance of the defender. And almost all of his shots went in. He also took a few offensive rebounds from his or his teammates’ missed shots.

On the defensive end he was great as well, making a steal from a pass, and helping out in double teaming. Not to mention his blocks and rebounds (some coming from team C). It was quite clear that he was the best player on the floor, and even the best player in this tryout. All eyes were on John Smith.

“Why is this guy even in the tryouts? Shouldn’t he be in the team already?” Mick said. Ricky nodded and said, “I said so.”

The score got to 17-10 and team B was dominating the game. John Smith probably got 12 points and a few assists already, Kelvin figured. “How are we going to stop this guy?” He asked.

Nobody answered except for Hotshot. “Guys, lemme at em! I think I’ll close him down!”
All of his teammates looked at him and said in unison, “No.” And they turned back looking at the court. But this was a lingering thought on their minds.

Kyle thought of something. He told his teammates about his idea, and most of them gave him a weird look.

“Well, it’s a gamble.” Kelvin said. “But if it doesn’t work we’re going to get blown out.”

“Yeah, but what other chance do we have? If there’s another way of going past team B I’d go with it but that’s all I can think of now.” Kyle said.

“Hey guys, but isn’t he a sub?” Hotshot asked.

“Yeah, but being a sub doesn’t mean he won’t make immediate impact.” Ricky answered.

“Guys, I’m relying on you.” Kyle said. “I think I don’t really have that much of a chance of getting into the team but I’m sure you guys can.”

And just when Kyle talked, John Smith blew past his defender outside the 3 point range and went in for a high-flying one hand dunk. The score was 19-10.

And just when team C started to pass from the baseline, the guy found out that team B was doing a fullcourt press, marking all potential receivers man to man!

The guy at the baseline looked at all receiving players but couldn’t find a good opening. One of the players just left his marker, so he passed the ball to that guy.

!!

John Smith intercepted the ball at the middle of the pass, right under the basket! He immediately jumped up for a dunk.

The score was settled. 21-10.

“Game!” Yelled coach Acer.

“Good game guys. Now take a 5 minute rest. The next match will be team B versus team D.”

Team B got to the other end of the seats from team D and the other 5 players sat around John Smith. It seemed like they were listening to John talking. While 4 of them were sweating (one was subbed out early) it seemed like John wasn’t even breaking a sweat.

“Damn, that John Smith guy must be telling the other guys about us.” Jamal said.

“Next match will be tough.” Kelvin said. “Until we get 10 points…”

“…we must not give up any points. Or the game is over.”



The 5 minutes were up.

“Alright, team B versus team D! Get on the court guys!” Coach Acer said. Both teams’ starters got onto the court.

But then John Smith walked up to the coach instead.
“Coach, let me start.” John told coach Acer. The players on team D immediately looked at the two after they heard John blurt out that line.

“Alright John, you’re in then. Henry Rodge, you’ll be the sub. Team D, you guys want Hotshot to play as a starter too?”

Team D discussed among themselves.

“Coach, Hotshot can start.” Kelvin said. “But instead can I be the reserve?”

“Okay Kelvin, you’ll be the reserve.”

Kelvin then walked towards the sidelines while Hotshot walked into the court. The two passed by each other.

Kelvin whispered something to Hotshot. He then walked to the bench while Hotshot looked back and said, “WHAT?!”

“Just do what I said.” Kelvin said without looking back. Hotshot shrugged and walked to his teammates.

“Alright guys, the spotlight is on.” Hotshot said. “We’re taking them down!”



- End Chapter 3: Hurdles -



Next Chapter: The final match of the tryouts! What is Kelvin up to?!
© Copyright 2007 penpen35 (penpen35 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1246191-Double-Dribble---Chapter-3-Hurdles