*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1251504-A-dragons-meeting
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1251504
A story for a contest I'm entering, though it may follow on to become something larger.
Headnote: This piece was written for a contest, though after writing it, I may consider creating more as I quite like the way the tales are being told.


Welcome listener of stories, sit by the fire and enjoy, for I have a tale of tales that will reveal the truth behind that saddened day when those beauty’s of the sky, those guardians of our world, the dragons did vanish.

Once was a time when you could look to the sky’s young one and see great legends flying overhead, they roamed the lands in their boundless plight and felt the winds rush threw the crevices within their hardened scales. That time however has diminished, for a newer race has arrived, one that no longer relies on physical attributes but their minds, mental keen to work out the solution to any problem, to create and build devices that better any natural evolvement. Yes the human race did come and with it came the fight of all fights, the battle between man and beast. The fight that made the dragons flee.

You see young one, the dragons were like gods to us humans once, however one day, when a young warrior found and injured beast, he did not try to help it, but seeing the thought of fame came to cleave that poor creature and end it’s life. Indeed that man was seen as a hero and so it became clear that the dragons were no gods but just another animal that should be controlled by our race. And so young one, the great hunt began.

For many a year did this torment reign, until the inevitable day when the last was slain. Or so they thought, yes it was true dragons would no longer fly, they were hunted in the sky and could find no peace but they were smart and nature was on their side. For soon you could find such beasts roaming our lands by hand and toe. And this young one is where the story shall begin, for I did meet such a beast, and yes we both lived to tell our tale.

                                    *******************************


“Forsaken vines! “ Talon cursed at the long spindle branches that shot through this dense forest, his short machete making clean breaks through, yet still seaming to make no indent upon the vast green stalks.

“That’s it, I’m done for the day. “ His voice slightly croaked from an exhausted march. His legs almost crumbling below him as he sat upon a small patch of freshly hacked branches.
The tranquillity seemed to weaken his anger, finding peace in this beautiful maze of lush nature. A sprig still dripping a silent due, the man grasped his tankard of water to sip slowly before peeling a slice of white bread out his bag.

Day became night and the silver light of an opalescent moon ran through the vines. Striking down to where Talon lay, resting until the morning came again, the only sounds of insects at play. He found himself listening and enjoying their song.

The echoes of snapping vines suddenly rang threw the air. Talon’s vague daze never noticed until they were almost upon him, his hand swiftly moving to that same machete as he bolted upright.

“Who’s there? “ His voice was strong, not a quiver of fear ran true.

No answer of course but the echoes became clear, no longer there but single loud cracks. Before long he couldn't simply hear but see as the vines ahead shifted. Soon they spread with a diverse chorus.
Then it came clear, a head larger than any other creature he had seen, something vast and bright, colours dazzling to bare. He gazed in awe of such a thing, surely nothing could be true, a dream it must be but no, this was reality. For the creature pressed forward, lifting its great head to reveal itself fully. Winding out of the verge, coming free of the broken vines to show its entirety.
Such a magnificent site, yet clearly more powerful than anything else he had encountered, yet this creature did not stalk him, did not charge but merely stared into his own gazing eyes. Intelligence was clear. This creature was as smart as he.

Silver scales sparkled in the moonlight, a blue hue shone through them becoming a tranquil green approaching its tail. That long wisp of a tail stretching out over the land, curling into a sharp point of trinity in a feathery hair. Great claws dug into the ground, a white ivory claw that looked able to tear through the great oaks standing tall over forest plains. Powerful legs came to meet a body with broadened shoulders. Vast in expanse as strong as the seas that lay so far away. A slender neck reaching up to that square-shaped head, piercing through with its opal eyes. Those eyes held his thought for a moment. They shone through his very soul, ages of knowledge and wisdom were held. A creature with a story older than the world itself.

A sudden confusion swept over Talon, the realisation that this animal was clearly a predator by its claws and shown fangs, it had shown itself in all its magnificence but had not made a single move to attack him. A single hesitant step backwards brought no more movement from the beast, it seemed to have frozen, not a single muscle rippled, not even a clear breath or heart beat rang through. Those eyes however were clearly alive with thought.
Running would do no good, he knew how quickly it came through the forest of vines and how long it took him, he’d be outrun in a second. Fighting was laughable; his machete might not even penetrate such an impressive display of armour. Indeed it seemed to Talon that his life was now completely in the hands of this creature.
With this thought he re-sheathed his machete and took a calmer position, after all, it had not yet appeared to show any aggression.
A steady tone lifted from his voice, instinct had taken over and he knew not why he thought talking would help in any way.

“My name is Talon, I am a wanderer of the world, I come to your home not with hostility but with curiosity, who and what are you? If you care to answer that is.”

“Where had such words come from? “ The man continued his train of thought silent now, such words seemed honourable and diplomatic yet he knew not where they came from.
The creature had not yet spoke, of course it could not, it was not of mankind yet it did move as the words were sent. Its head shifting forward in an elegant movement, the front half of its body turning to face him, his front legs seeming to bend as its head lowered in what seemed to Talon to be a bow. Indeed this creature did show its respect, so it seemed that it knew his language even if it could not mutter it through those incredulous lips.

Then as it rose, those lips did part and with it a sound so pure that it enchanted Talon’s very spirit. The long deepened voice of a majestic creature did sound nothing more than a single word, that word would be remembered for all of time. That word that was uttered, “ Drakon. “
Talon’s mind reeled over thought, could this be true, could this in fact be what mankind had called a dragon. The winged beasts of old tales were hunted to extinction. Yet this creature seemed to recognise him as a human and even knew the word of which mankind called his own race. Could this in fact be the last dragon?

Almost at this thought the dragon seemed to smile, those lips parting in a slight gape to reveal a gloss of brilliant white fangs. With that it turned from him, moving away in silence, to break through those vines without a pause for thought, as soon as it came the dragon was gone. Talon left speechless and not knowing what to do next, merely stood there in thought, to recall what just happened, as that magnificent beast, appeared and left in a second.


                                  ************************************


And that is where my story must end, for you have heard the tail of the last dragons meeting. You want to hear more of this story? What is there to tell? Of course young one, I shall prevail, for a later time the true adventures begin and you’ll hear all of those magnificent dragon stores to tell.

 
© Copyright 2007 Equinox (lunar_atriume at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1251504-A-dragons-meeting