*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1262020-Shot-Down
Rated: 13+ · Other · Drama · #1262020
About a fighter pilot shot-down over Iraq.
14 May 2004

    Hi I am Col. Ron Johnson. I was born on May 26,1970 in the Bronx,New York.I am 34 years old and I am a Pilot in The US Air Force. I fly an F-17A Nighthawk.
    It was supposed to be a routine mission.As routine as it could be in the middle of this war.
      At 01:30 AM Baghdad time(7:30 PM Eastern Time)

    I climbed into my Night Hawk.I did all of my preflight checks.I was on the runway.I got the green light and I took off into the night.I flew straight up and made a hard left towards Baghdad.
  It took me a few minuted to get to my target.There were insurgents attacking ground troops and I had to drop a few bombs to clear the area.
  Just as I was getting to my destination I felt a bang on the left side of my Nighthawk.I saw the red oil light go on and then the fuel line.
  Shit I have been hit !!!
  As I soar down towards the earth I had very few seconds to eject myself.
  The Nighthawk soaring towards Earth,I am semi-lucid.Trying to eject myself.My life flashes before my eyes.
    Flash Back:
  I flash too my childhood.I was 5 years old.The first day I went to the circus with my parents comes to mind.It was at Madison Square Garden in NYC.I remember the smell of the peanuts and elephants and the sounds of the circus.The ring announcer.I look up and see the high wire.
  I then flash to my Senior Prom,June 1989.I went with Sara McKinney.It was in the Wayne Manor.I was dressed in a black tux and Sara was dressed in a pink dress and I gave her a Rose Corsage that seemed like it took her forever to pin on.
  I remember slow dancing to "Never Say Goodbye" By Bon Jovi.
  I then flash back too my wedding.It was held at St Patricks Church on Aug,21,2000.I flashed to the vows.I was dressed in a Black tux and my now wife,Bianca, was dressed in a White Wedding gown with a train that must've been 4 ft. long.I was looking down the length of the church from the Alter.To my left was my family.I saw my mother dabbing her eyes.She was so proud and looked beautiful with her pink hat and dress.
  On the right was Bianca's side of the family.
  I remember the flower girl,Emily,coming up the aisle.She was 7 and Bianca's niece.Dressed in a little pink gown.Smiling like she was the most important person there.I crack a smile.
  I remember Bianca coming next too me.I look into her eyes.We exchange vows.
  I then flash to my son,Johnny,being born.
  It was 3;30 AM on June 14,2002,Bianca woke me.She said it was time.We had the suit cases ready.We were dressed out of the house and in the car in seconds.I tore through the streets of New York from E.72 St. too get to Lenox Hill hospital.We got into the ER got registered and ushered Bianca to Labor and Delivery.I was in the room.,Dressed in hospital garb,Face mask etc.
  Bianca was in Labor for 14 hours and then the Miracle happened.
I remember seeing Johnny's face face looking up at me.And then I was blank.

  18 May 2004  6:30 PM Eastern time

Walter Reed Medical Center

    I woke up after a Semi-Coma 4 days later.I broke my left leg and had a cast on it.I had minor head trauma.I was very lucky.
    My wife Bianca was ushered in the room with my mother Doris and father Jake.Bianca's parents,Mary and Tony were there and a few other people,medical and military as well as my boy Johnny who is only two and doesn't realize what is going on.He smiled at me.Everyone was happy.No one more than me.

  22 July 2004

  It has been two months since I was Shot Down in Baghdad. And a month since they released me from Walter Reed.We moved to Weschester County.I am sitting in the back yard of my white colonial style home.There is a swimming pool and a swing set in the backyard.
  I look into the distance and I see Bianca in the pool trying to teach little Johnny how to swim.They are both laughing and having a good time.
  My mind drifts. I realized how lucky I was to survive being Shot Down. I still have nightmare and cry sometimes at what I went through,and how close I was to losing everything.I am lucky. I will live,There are many more that haven't. I feel it was a miracle to have survived being...

      Shot Down
© Copyright 2007 Louie Knuckles (goombata32 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1262020-Shot-Down