*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1263214-Vanilla-and-Caramel
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Ghost · #1263214
An afternoon of cooking evokes memories.
Written for the Write It Monthly Contest

Vanilla and Caramel

It should have been a vanilla afternoon. She had promised Ellie that it would be, but now, instead of pulling out the ingredients for making vanilla ice cream, Evelyn was staring vacantly at the rain on the kitchen window.

Her gaze traveled upwards, past the spice rack full of thyme, basil and bayleaf, past the assortment of cluttered, dusty bottles, and came to rest on the top shelf where the picture sat.

The picture was of her husband and Ellie’s father, Adam, and beside the picture sat a candle.  Today the candle was lit to signify three years to the day since they had lost Adam.  The candle would burn until it went out and only then would she remove it.

The day she had lost her husband couldn’t have been more different to this one.  She had taken Ellie to the park to while away the hours until Adam came home from a trip to the South Downs.  The smell of summer was everywhere with its warm and comforting scents of fresh bread and mown grass.  The sun was bright and the trees were laden with green leaves, the grass littered with daisies. Ellie had skipped all the way home.

They had heard about the crash on the radio but it wasn’t until some hours later that Evelyn was told that the car that had been torn in two by a lorry on the M25 was Adam’s.  He died instantly, and with him had gone nearly all of Evelyn’s happiness.

She stared out at the rain, remembering Adam. He had been cheerful, mischievous but gentle.  He had bought her roses on their first date and then for every anniversary afterwards.  She could recall his scent even now, a mixture of warm male, caramel and musky aftershave.  She could recall his proud look of exaltation as he held his newborn daughter in his arms. Ellie and Evelyn had been the two most important people in his world.

Suddenly she didn’t want it to be a vanilla afternoon with all its plainness.  She wanted to make something that would epitomise Adam, something rich, bold and warm. She called Ellie and began pulling things out of cupboards.

A while later, they looked at the fruits of their labours. Thick, rich caramel was left to cool and set.  She sent Ellie to wash and stood breathing in the smell and thinking of Adam.  Suddenly, almost without being aware of it, she knew that someone was standing behind her.  She stayed perfectly still, not wanting to turn around and yet not afraid.  She felt a light, gentle touch on her hair and then, all at once, she knew that the presence was gone.  She smiled. For one beautiful moment, Adam had been with her again, his spirit as sweet and warm as the smell of caramel now filling the kitchen.

Word Count: 474
© Copyright 2007 Suze the Rock Chic (pixiesuze at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1263214-Vanilla-and-Caramel