*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1265587-Batter-Up--Part-one
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1265587
A chic lit story about a teacher and baseball player.
                                            Batter Up!

"Ashley no."  Her sigh over the phone sounded a little too dramatic for me.  "I am a high school teacher."

"That is what makes it so great!  Talk about a walking fantasy!"

"Dressing as a naughty teacher for Halloween just doesn't seem respectful to me."

"Well I think it is just perfect."

I sighed, Ashley just didn't get it.  We were the same age but vastly different in life styles.  We had met in college where self exploration was the main objective.  My freshmen year was one big house party.  Ashley and I had bonded over beer bongs and joints.  My junior year however, I began to mature and take my student teaching seriously.  I loved my job as a high school world history teacher.  The students made each day to say the least interesting.

Ashley had graduated with a degree in photography but still bartended at the local hotspot.  With a little bit of cynicism I thought about how she almost brought in more money than me.  She still partied about every night.  I had become what she called "Grown-up".  Which I was twenty-four years old and felt like it was about time.

I tried to think of a different costume to wear to the Halloween party.  "How about I go as a witch?"

Disgust was evident in her voice.  "Lila Cain if you come to another party as a witch I will not be responsible for my actions.  And absolutely no lame historical figures no one will know and don't want to hear about."

"Catherine the Great is not lame!"

"Do you realize that your nerdiness hurts me?  It makes me look bad.  You are so lucky you have killer legs and a great rack."

I shook my head.  "Is there suppose to be a compliment in there?"

She sniffed.  "Yes.  I am coming over tonight after work.  I will bring three outfits, out of these three you will pick one."

"No promises."  I managed to mutter out before she hung up.

**********************************************

I had picked one of the three outfits Ashley had brought over and that was why on October thirty-first I was the trendy bar she worked at, dressed as a not so innocent Little Red Riding Hood.  I had a red cape which draped over a strapless red miniskirt dress.  The dress clung to every damn curve of my body.  I felt like one wrong move would bring my breasts breaking free at any moment.  This is what stopped me from bending down to loosen the strap on the spiked red heels Ashley had loaned me.  She had demanded I wear them even though they made me six foot tall.  I had argued that at my usual height of five foot ten, I was tall enough.  She had come back with compliments of how killer the heels made my legs look and I had relented.

"Lila take off the damn cape!"

I turned around and saw Ashley come up behind me.  She was dressed as Eve, complete with fig leaves, which did not really cover much. I took a sip of my drink.  "Can't it's an imperative part of the costume."

She groaned.  "Take down the grammar teach."

"If I take off the cape, I'm just a slutty woman in a to small dress."

She pulled me towards the bar.  "Comments like that insure you a free shot."

She pushed a shot glass into my hands.  "Let's see if Miss Cain can still slam it like a pro."

Damn my competitive nature and she knew it.  I tilted my head back as I slammed the tequila shot.  The burning sensation was immediate.  I grimaced.

Ashley just laughed and pulled me toward the VIP area.  "Let's find you a wolf and me an Adam."

At least the VIP area was less crowded.  I could breathe easier.  Ashley pointed out a couple of men, rich socialites.  I didn't really pay attention.  They probably didn't have much interest in a school teacher and I certainly didn't have any interest in a bored playboy.

"Ooooh.  I think I just found my Adam."

I saw here looking at a tall muscular man in a baseball costume.  He was standing in a circle of men.  There were football players, police officers, and the one who caught my eye was wearing a wolf mask.  Oh no, was all I could think.  I tried to pull out of Ashley's grasp but she was determined and pulled me toward the group of men.

Ashley sauntered up and interrupted the men's conversation.

"Batter up."

I almost rolled my eyes.

The man laughed.  One of the men dressed as a police officer leered at Ashley.  "Looks like your number is being called Jonesy!"

Ashley grabbed his bat and ran her hand up and down it.  "Feels like good wood, does it work well?"

"I know how to work it."  he replied.

I wondered if I could just slink away, but of course Ashley stepped back and pulled me closer.

"Gentlemen let me introduce myself.  I'm Eve and this is my friend Little Red Riding Hood.”

The men all smiled at us and then to each other.  Their smiles made me want to puke.  The police officer pushed the cape back from my shoulders.

"Doesn't look to be anything little about her."  He laughed staring at my breasts.

I pointedly looked at the crotch of his pants.  "Too bad the same can't be said of you."

The circle of guys burst out laughing.  The police officer narrowed his eyes at me and grabbed my chin.

"Sassy, but I can put that mouth of yours to better use."

I yanked his hand off my chin.  I pointed to a woman dressed as a genie.  "I bet she can make all your wishes come true."  I turned to tell Ashley I was going to the bar to get a drink but she was already kissing her baseball player.  I just shook my head and went to the bar.

"Razz and seven."  I said to the bartender.

"I'll get this one and a Corona please."

I turned to see the man in the wolf mask.

He shrugged.  "My way of repaying you for the best laugh I've had all night."

His eyes were a dark blue.  My oh my what sexy blue eyes you have.....

"Thanks" I replied.  I turned to return to Ashley's side but couldn't spot her.

"She and my friend Jonesy went to get to know each other.  She asked me to keep you company."

I looked up at him, which pleased me, he was probably around six foot five, no I didn't mean it pleased me.  My thoughts were getting dangerous.

He pointed toward an empty table.  I followed him. Ugh, what a sexy ass you have......

"I can't believe she would trust my safety to a wolf."

He laughed.  "Aren't I'm the one who is suppose to be scared.  I get the axe in the end."

I looked around the bar.  "I don't really think you have much to worry about, this doesn't seem to be a place where farmers hang out." 

I studied him for a moment.  "Wolves on the other hand, well I just imagine this is the place where they rule."

He studied me in return.  He removed his mask and I was bombarded with his insane GQ looks.  He had dark hair that combined with those blue eyes made him a walking fantasy.  His t-shirt fit him perfectly; he definitely worked out on a regular basis, unlike me who was convinced once every two weeks meant something.

I untied the cape from around my neck, unconsciously of course, and placed it on the chair besides me.

"Jason by the way."

"Lila."

"What do you do Lila, besides wander in the woods?"

"I teach high school history."

He whistled.  "Damn if I would have had a history teacher like you I would have actually showed up for class."

I blushed.  I couldn't believe it! Mentally I told myself to get a grip.  The wolf was just charming me, so he could move in for the attack.  "And what do you do when you aren't searching for innocents?"

He paused for a second.  "Look at us already asking the boring questions.  Maybe Jonesy and your friend have the right idea."

I looked away from him.  "I think you better go find the genie with your friend."

He bowed his head.  "I am dully rebuffed."

I looked down at my drink.  "You're really not going to get anywhere with me."

"Is that a challenge?"

I looked up at him surprised.  "No, it's just that this Little Red is going to her grandmother's house alone.  No wolves."

He smiled.  "Who said I wanted to go home with you?"

I felt my face redden again.  "It's just that I know how guys are what they want."

"Well since we've concluded you don't know me right?"  He paused looking at me.  I nodded and he continued, "Then you don't know what I want."

I laughed.  "I know all guys want a blonde, busty woman who will take them home."

He leaned in closer to me.  "How do you know I don't want smart mouthed, leggy brunettes, who are busty?"

"Are you trying to charm me?"  I was proud my voice didn't waver.

"Is it working?"

"No."

He raised his eyebrows.  I suddenly realized how close we were.  I pulled back from leaning towards him.

Ashley came up to us suddenly.  "There you are!  Tequila time!"

She handed me another shot, I took it rather than argue with her.  She sat at the table.

"Jason right? Seen you in here before."  She leaned her head against my shoulder.  "Lila I'm drunk."

I laughed.  "Definitely cab time."  I stood up trying to help Ashley.

Jason stood up also.  "I can drive you both home."

Ashley smiled even though her eyes were closed.  "Yes!"  She turned toward me and tried to whisper.  "Jason good guy."

"A wolf in good guy's clothing."  I murmured.  "We're fine there are always cabs outside waiting."

"Are you running away Little Red?"

"You do remember the wolf loses?"  I threw over my shoulder.

He grinned and it did look wolfish.  "Good thing your name isn't Little Red and I'm not a wolf then."

A blonde called his name and started coming towards him.

"She looks like she wants you to meet her grandmother."

"Looks that way doesn't it?"

I just shook my head and helped Ashley down the stairs.  This little girl needed to go home before she was devoured by wolves.



****************************************************************************************


"Ugh!  God how much did I drink last night?"

"Enough."  I answered as I handed Ashley a cup of coffee. 

She slid her sunglasses on.  "It was a great night thought."

I thought of the sexy wolf.  "Not a bad night."

"The baseball player I met wasn't a bad kisser." She shrugged.  "Pro athletes don't really have to try though."

"He was dressed as a baseball player and is actually one?"

She looked up at me.  "You didn't recognize him?"

I shook my head and sat down.  "Um no.  How original of him.  You need to start chasing a different breed of men."

She laughed.  "Oh really and what about you?  I saw the way you were looking at your wolf."

"That's all I did was look."  And I was not unsatisfied with that.

"Well the one guy you did look at all night is the breed of men you think so lowly of."

I snapped my head up.  "What?"

"Jason Marek.  All-star catcher for the Texas Rangers."

"He was a pro-baseball player!"  I said aghast.

She stood up and grabbed the Texas Tribune, found the sports section and pushed it toward me.  On the front page was my wolf's picture.

"He's one of the best.  Next season the team is counting on him and his bat to take them farther into the playoffs."

So I never had a chance with him.  He was just probably wasting time with me to make sure I didn't interrupt his friend and Ashley.

I stood up.  "Well good luck to them."

She peered up at me.  "You could tell him yourself next Saturday."

"No Ashley."

She stood up also and put her hands on my shoulders.  "Oh come on.  Jonesy invited us to his house for a party."  She put on her pouty face.  "You can't make me go alone, it's not safe."

"Ashley don't you have any other friends?"  I groaned.

"No.  I'm going to leave and let you think about it."  She said as she waltzed out.

"No promises!"  I yelled to her retreating back.

*******************************************************************************

"Oh man, Jas, thank-you for sending that genie my way."

"No problem."

Jonesy stood up and starting doing arm curls.  "I'll never understand why you decided to give up groupies."  He turned towards me and grinned.  "I'm pretty sure they are God's gift to pro-athletes."

I laughed and sat up.  I walked over to grab a bottle of water.  "I like somewhat of a challenge."

"What like Little Red?"

I thought about the woman dressed as Little Red Riding Hood.  She had been tall with impossibly long legs.  I had tried not to stare at her chest like a school boy all night.  She had long brown hair and green eyes.  She hadn't immediately fallen into his lap which set her apart from others, hell she hadn't even known who he was.  It had been nice and he had actually enjoyed talking with her until her friend had come up.

Jonesy interrupted his thoughts.  "Women like that are too much of a challenge."

"I'm a competitor."

He shook his head.  "I don't know, you already have one strike."

I shrugged.  "We didn't have enough time."

He looked at me out of the corner of his eye.  "In case you're interested she might be at my party tonight."

Well that did make things more interesting.  I never thought I would see her again.

"How about a little bet.  I bet you strike out with her again."  Jonesy said coming up to me.

I shook my head and walked away.  "Jonesy get real."

"Come on, I bet you can't get Little Red to go to bed with you."

I sighed and just wanted to end the conversation.  "It would just be a matter of time.  Now come over and spot me."  I said and I began to do squats.

He walked over and slapped me on the back.  "Fine it's on then; loser cleans the winner’s cleats for season.  You have three months."

I just laughed.  "Jonesy you really need to grow up."
© Copyright 2007 Pisceswoman3 (pisceswoman3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1265587-Batter-Up--Part-one