*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1267732-What-Memorial-Day-Means-to-Me
Rated: 13+ · Other · Military · #1267732
My view of Memorial Day
I am a 33 year-old woman who enjoys fixing her long tresses in any fashion she pleases. I enjoy wearing make-up if I decide to wear it as well as jewelry. During the summer I enjoy wearing sleeveless blouses and shorts. I encompass I Corinthians 11:15(KJV) where is states, “But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.” I wholeheartedly believe this verse absolves me from having to wear a burka. My freedom has always been priceless to me because of the sacrifices of my family members.

I have always been interested in genealogy. Through my research of my ancestors, I know I have had a family member in every war the United States has ever had with conscription with the possible exception of World War I. My great-grandfathers were old enough for the draft, but they all had young babies at home.

During World War II, both of my grandfathers and seven of my great-uncles served. My paternal grandfather, Laron Self, and three of his brothers served in Europe. Papaw Laron participated in some of the most infamous battles of World War II: D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge. I believe the other four uncles served in the Pacific Arena as did my maternal grandfather, Henry Fay Long. Granddaddy Fay served in Japan building the airstrips after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They all came home unharmed.

During the Korean War, my paternal grandmother’s three younger brothers were eligible for service. Uncle Carol became a career Marine. Uncle Jr. became a career National Guardsman after his Korean Tour. Uncle Ken served his time and returned to civilian life. They all three came home unharmed.

Uncle Carol also saw Vietnam. My mother’s first cousins Burvis and Tony, who were brothers, also saw Vietnam. Uncle Carol and Tony saw Vietnam more than once. Burvis probably did as well seeing he was a career Airman. They all came home physically unharmed. Burvis has long since joined our Father in Heaven, but Tony is suffering from other non-physical wounds received in Vietnam. Uncle Carol is still doing wonderful.

My maternal grandmother’s baby brother, Okee, my mother’s brother, Vaughn, and my stepfather, Terry were all lucky when their number was pulled. Instead of being sent to Vietnam, they all received postings in Germany. Their tours were thankfully uneventful.

I remember the Beirut scuffle. I know I have a second cousin who was in the Air Force at that time, but I don’t know if he was ever over there. He is still continuing his military career through the Air National Guard. His unit was saved from going during Desert Storm, but another cousin who is a career Navy man was not quite so lucky. His boat patrolled the Persian Gulf during this tour. Thankfully both of these cousins were never harmed.

On September 1, 1998, my only brother left for Lackland Air Base in San Antonio, Texas for Air Force Basis Training. He was assigned to the Security Forces. He reassured our family of worriers he would never be on the front lines. He served 6 months in Kuwait, a 12-month rotation in Korea, 6 months in Iraq, 6 months in Qatar, and another 6 months in Iraq. The previous four tours were physically uneventful, but not mentally. The first tour in Iraq really made my brother take notice of things. Then on 14 May 2007, an improvised explosive device ended Airman Staff Sgt. John T. Self’s military career. When his CO read about his missions, my little brother may not have been on the front lines as we know them, but he saw plenty of dangerous action. My little brother knew how to take care of Mother and me.

Memorial Day has always been a day of remembering why I have my freedoms. This Memorial Day will be spent not only remembering the price my family has paid for my country’s freedom, but my hometown as well. We have lost three other young men to Ides in Iraq in the last two years. Memorial Day will be spent hoping we don’t have to pay that price again as we send my cousin Private David Lee Hellums of the Mississippi National Guard to Iraq. He received his orders the day after my brother’s death.

This Memorial Day will also be a day of thanksgiving for the United States Air Force. My father was killed while on the job for a local employer. His employer has nothing on the United States Air Force. When my brother lost his life, not only did I lose a brother, but also so did his fellow airmen. From day one the Air Force was sympathetic, telling us to just call if we needed anything or had any questions. The Air Force flew my brother to the closest air base to us, Columbus Air Base. The base shut down operations from the time the plane landed until we were off base. The base employees and family members lined the street saluting my brother as we left. I believe just about every air base in the United States as well as every air camp in Iraq sent flowers. His very first flight sergeant who is now retired came to pay his respects with tear-filled eyes. There were at least four memorials held in my brother’s honor by his fellow airmen.

Some are wondering, “How can you thank the Air Force when your brother has been killed?” I can thank the Air Force because my brother was fulfilling his dream of being a United States Airman. He had that dream since he was in second grade. My entire family supported his decision. My grandfathers even supported his decision remembering the horrors they had to endure and wanted to protect us from seeing.

It takes special people to serve and protect our country. My brother was the only one in my family that enlisted on his own. From the testimonies of his fellow airmen, some who didn’t even know him, Staff Sergeant John T. Self was one of those special people. My brother set a standard for current and future NCOs alike to strive to reach. So if you know a veteran, a currently enlisted person, or have a relative who paid part of the price for our freedom, take time out this weekend to remember them. Say a short prayer for those currently in Iraq and the ones getting ready for deployment for a speedy and safe return home.


© Copyright 2007 Hildegarde33 (hildegarde33 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1267732-What-Memorial-Day-Means-to-Me