*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1269368-If-Only-I-Could-Fly
by Nini
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1269368
Children's story about a little girl's wish.
Lexi really wanted to fly. She saw birds flying around up in the sky, and thought how wonderful it would be if SHE could be that free and move that fast! Unfortunately for Lexi, she was just a little girl, and as far as she could tell, little girls did not fly.

She tried jumping as high as she could, stretching her arms up to the sky, but she just landed on her feet again.

She tried hopping up and down the stairs, hoping that would help her take off, but she just stayed on the ground.

She tried running through the grass in her backyard as fast as she could, thinking that being outside might help her fly, but she just had to stop when she got to the fence.

She even tried jumping off the wooden platform of her swing set, and for a minute she thought she was flying! But then she landed in the gravel and scraped her knees.

She went to the park to think about it. She sat on the bench, and saw two little birds hop, hop, hopping along the sidewalk. Boy were they ever slow! She could run WAY faster than they could - their feet were so tiny!

She jumped onto a swing and started pumping her legs - higher and higher she went. She giggled as she felt her hair flying in the wind. She felt so free! She was going so fast! She felt like she was … FLYING!

Later, as she walked home from the park, she saw the little birds again, hopping and hopping down the sidewalk. The more she watched them, the more she thought that would be a really hard way to move around on the ground. She tried out her running legs and whizzed past the birds as fast as the wind blows.

Maybe just being a little girl wasn’t so bad after all.
© Copyright 2007 Nini (aclayton15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1269368-If-Only-I-Could-Fly