*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1270235-Tornado
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Nature · #1270235
Read the title

I was sitting outside on the porch swing. The weather was perfect. About 70 degrees,sunny and a slight breeze.

Then, out of no where, dark clouds shift into my line of sight and cover the sky.

I just figured it was a normal thunder storm. We get them every other day it seems like.

All of a sudden, I hear the tornado siren blaring away in the distance.

"Aw shit! Just like that time in Oklahoma.", I said to myself.

I ran full speed into the house and turned on the TV. I am so nervous I can hardly push the channel button. "Where is that damn weather channel?"

From the TV speakers I hear, "Tornado just touched down in Valley Mills......Please take cover.....Go to center of house....Stay away from windows...."

"Damn, that is only 5 minutes from here!", I shouted.

About 3 years ago, I saw a tornado documentary on the Discovery Channel. It mentioned to open all the windows in order to release pressure. If the windows are closed, then the house will implode.
For some reason, I never forgot that.

So I immediately start opening the windows about an inch or two. If I open it too much, then debris will fly in.

I decide to look out my front door to verify if the twister is actually headed my way.

I can see it. It is about 2 city blocks away. It appears to be headed my direction. Those things turn or go back up sometimes so it is hard to tell.

It sounds like a freight train or a monster truck rally! I can't explain the volume of this thing! I hear metal twisting and cars getting tossed. I just heard an explosion...maybe somebody's house? I hear power lines snapping and transformers popping. I can tell when cars are getting lifted off of the ground and I can definitely tell when they go crashing back.

I sprint to my bedroom and yank the mattress off of the bed. Dragging the mattress behind me, I run to the center of the house, which happens to be my bathroom.

I lay flat on my back, in the bathtub, and place the mattress over me. I have visions of my house exploding and me getting sucked up. I guess I am fixing to go on a "magical bathtub ride". Even during the chaos, I keep my sense of humor. I imagine me sitting in the bathtub, flying through the air, soaring around and around in a perfect spiral. That mental picture makes me chuckle.

The sound is unbearable now. I know the twister is at my doorstep. I pray to every High Being known to man! ................(2 be continued)
© Copyright 2007 Stephen Prince (mwgifts at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1270235-Tornado