*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271656-But-Then-He-Was-Gone
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1271656
The sky didn’t seem as clear as it did before. Motionless and gloomy, it had gone.
    On a fine day, I lay down under a tall tree and watched people passing by. The misty air made me feel quite sleepy. I yawned while stretching my small body. The flat grass was nice and warm beneath my velvet night dress, but it made my bare feet itch.

    As I stared into the clear blue sky, the birds sounded so relaxing and sweet that I thought I’d like to lie down in this spot forever. But as the tree branches moved gently, the chilly breeze gave me shivers and my hands shook with the rest of my body.

    The grass felt fresh and wet beneath me. Oh how I love the smell and feel of wet grass! I spread my long, dark hair over my cold shoulders, trying to keep myself warm.

    As it fell over my shoulders it felt nice and soft but as cold as ice. I then rested my aching head above my arms and once again yawned lazily.

    Down by the pond, a couple of girls were playing cheerfully and feeding some ducks. One of them danced dramatically every time a duck would come closer. They ran toward a bridge as there were more ducks over there, “Yeah!!” I heard one of them shouting happily while I spotted a man standing beside that exact same bridge.

    Arms crossed, looking serious. He wore ordinary clothes, yet there was something very special about him. When he noticed I was staring at him, he smiled sweetly and waved his right hand at me. I knew I was blushing so I giggled.

    My stomach made an awkward reaction as I nervously moved my fringe away from my burning-hot face to get a better view of him. Maybe I shouldn’t have stared at him! But oh his far-fetched smile made me feel as if I have known him for years.

    Just looking at him made me feel so pleasured that I thought I would like to look at him forever. His face. Oh how I would give anything to touch that beautiful face of his.

    I could have sworn everything froze and I could hear nothing but silence while staring deeply in those incredible eyes of his. It was as if time had stopped. As I managed to smile back, the man was gone!

    I sprinted off heading to the exact same spot where he was standing, but he absolutely vanished. Ah! If only I had the chance to talk to him! I didn’t even wave back! Oh my god, I am such an idiot. Ah well, they say everyone has  a soul-mate, that man was mine! I could tell from the way he looked at me. The  way he smiled at me.Oh that smile! So sweet and giving. Just thinking about him gave me shivers. 

    "Is she talking to herself again?" I heard a man whispering from behind the trees. "We better take her inside; it’s too cold out here"

    The two men wore white, from their big heads down to their knees, just white! One was tall and skinny and the other was so chubby that his warm white robe looked like it was about to explode.

    The heavy one had an obvious scar on his large rounded face, and a missing tooth. The two white shapes frightened me as they came closer. I didn’t know what they stared at me for; their ugly faces looked kind of familiar though. They stood right beside me, and then the tall one ordered firmly

    "Come on, let’s go inside." He spat.

    "Oh I can’t I’m- I’m waiting for someone!  You see he was here a minute ago, so I gotta wait until-" I tried to explain slowly as I wore a fake smile, but the short one interrupted me impolitely. Ah! What is it now?! So irritating, this man is. I thought to myself.

    "Oh, someone eh? Assuming there are others here beside us three, of course." He said as he looked at the other. The rather serious expression on his large face faded away and they both cracked up laughing. I felt so uncomfortable, and confused, what was he on about? The park was full of people! I thought to myself as I tried to keep on smiling.

    "Another imaginary friend, is he?!" the other giggled with an ugly expression on the face, and once again the two men cracked up laughing.

    "We’ll be back in five, don’t go anywhere." One of them said as they walked away, giggling and throwing me sarcastic looks.

    Horrible humans, they were! I thought to myself, wishing I’d never have to see their ugly faces ever again.

    Once they turned away I got up to my feet. “Ouch!" I screamed. A tree branch had slightly cut my foot. Both men looked back to make sure everything was under control. I acted as if nothing had happened at all, I even smiled at them. Once they turned away, I ran off to the road, climbed up the stairs, my foot bled, but I couldn’t care less, everything looked much more beautiful the further I got away from the large, yellow sign that read Mental Hospital.

    The road was fairly crowded, pretty noisy as well. I’ve always wanted this. This freedom. But I guess I had never had a reason for leaving, have I? But now I do, don’t I? Got to find my soul-mate! Yes that’s right my soul-mate.

    When the two nurses realized that I ran off, they started running after me. I ran as fast as I could, hope filled my heart while crossing the busy road with excitement, but bang! I felt something rather huge forcing me to the ground. Two wide-open eyes were watching me from the inside of some huge object. Frightened, guilty and sympathetic.

    The truck had stopped, but it was too late. My paining body hit the ground violently. From that point on, It was hard to recognize what was going on, but I realized that some cold, red liquid increased faster than anything around my body.

    The blood ran through my hair and down on my face. It got mixed with tears as I lay helplessly. Random eyes were focused on me now, all with a somehow similar expression to which of the driver's. But not quite. Not as meaningful.

    The sky didn’t seem as clear as it did before. Motionless and gloomy, it had gone. It wasn’t as blue either, why did it run out of color?! I stared at it ignoring the fact that my life had come to an end. My heart was beating so fast a couple of minutes ago but now it had stopped.
© Copyright 2007 Arwachan (arwachan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271656-But-Then-He-Was-Gone