*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271944-Part-1-Perception-of-Purpose
Rated: E · Monologue · Philosophy · #1271944
I prefer to not try to shorten my thoughts with a blurb. It's worth the full read
         Purpose, not in the sense of the reason for an action, but in the sense of a reason for being, is too abstract an idea to be looked at in a concrete manner.  Purpose, reason and meaning are all words used to ask the same question that we are to afraid to see that there is no answer to. “Why are we here?” 
         People’s lives are, generally, so muddled in the mundane that without some concept of a higher meaning for their existence, they would simply give up on their lives.  The idea of purpose, pertaining to such a grand issue as existence, is, inherently, an informal fallacy.  It is simply a mistake in a line of reasoning, made by those trying to justify their existence and the mistakes that they make with such hackneyed phrases as “The Lord works in mysterious ways.”
         I am, absolutely, not saying that life itself has no meaning or purpose.  I am saying that a person’s life has whatever purpose they decide for it.  There are two kinds of people.  There are those who live for others.  These people take their every thought and action, and they tailor it to fit what they believe others will see as acceptable.  These people are too bogged down in the niceties of “civilized” society, and fitting into what has been presented as the norm, to see that they are wasting away their own lives making other’s lives a little easier to swallow.  Then there are people, an example being myself, who exist for themselves, thus creating their own purpose in life.  I know why I Am. 
         “I Am” are, perhaps, the two most powerful, endearing and, sometimes, dangerous words one can say.  To utterly and unerringly exist is to have the most powerful weapon one can possess.  To know yourself fully, to know your strengths and limits, and to judge your threshold of pain, both physical and psychological, is to be able to know when to fight or flee.  Knowing yourself will keep you alive.  I know that I Am.  I also know why.  I exist to let others know that they exist.  My purpose is to wake them up by any means necessary.  We are coming dangerously close to allowing our minds to slip into disuse.  It must end!  Day after day, man creates machines to work, solve and think for him.  This weakens the human race as a whole, leaving us unable to rely on our own instincts and forced to depend entirely on a fallible source of assistance in what we could once do on our own. 
         Where once there were great thinkers, there are now those who create thinking machines.  I know I have no chance of breaking the general populace out of this inevitable spiral downward, but if I can wake up at least a few, I will feel better when the inescapable end is nigh.
© Copyright 2007 Son of A One-Eyed Father (iamzakk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271944-Part-1-Perception-of-Purpose