*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1272310-Long-Journey-Nowhere
by Kaya
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fanfiction · #1272310
Mysterious man enters a tavern.... why is he there?
      No one noticed him sitting in the corner of the tavern.  For nearly an hour he had been watching the comings and goings of the townsfolk. Sipping on dark ale, he yearned to become a part of the life that surrounded him.  But the part of his soul that longed to be filled stayed deep and empty. 

      The tavern was all heavy wood and darkness.  Lanterns were scattered on various tables giving off small pools of light.  Pipe and cigar smoke drifted in languid circles along the ceilling.  Small groups of men drank their ale, threw darts, laughed at raunchy jokes and each other.  Tension began to seep into the men as the jokes became more personal, more hate filled.  Harsh words were spoken.  Grown men slammed  up to each other chest to chest, like bullys' on a playground. The darkness became a living, breathing thing,  screaming 'danger' to anyone who would listen.

      Sighing to himself the man moved from his corner, dodging a swinging fist as a fight broke out among the men.  Out of the corner of his eye he saw a young barmaid. She stood near the door of the tavern, indiscision holding her in place. He placed his body in front of hers, partly to protect her, mostly because he needed her attention. When she finally looked up he caught her eyes and held them with his own.  He knew that she wouldn't remember him. No one ever did.  His pale blue eyes and soft voice placed a compulsion in her mind that could not be ignored.

      "You need to leave this place lass.  It's dangerous for you to be here. Go home right now and don't look back."  He spoke quietly, the weariness in his voice palpable. 

      Her sweet face slack, the girl turned and left the tavern without looking back.  He followed her outside, watching until she was out of site.  She was his choice, the only true innocent in the tavern.  He was allowed one to save.  The rest was up to chance.  It wasn't enough, but it was all he had. 

      The sound of breaking glass and screams began to erupt from inside the building.  He turned one last time, a silent witness to what had been wrought.  Overturned lanterns spilled oil and fire on dry wooden furnitiure. Flames licked along the floor reaching for the walls. They began to wave out of the windows, like beauty queens.  A few men staggered out the door.  Those unlucky enough to be left inside died, choking on the smoke.

      Tail wagging, a stray dog looking for a handout approached him.  He reached into the air and produced a nice meaty bone.  The dog froze, fear and hunger at war within him. Tail tucked and whining it stayed where it was until the man had passed.  The dog watched until the man was but a shadow.  A mad dash later, dog and bone has disappeared into the night. 

      He walked slowly away from the carnage.  Wearing a long black coat which hid his ponytailed hair, he became part of the night.  Alone since creation he walked on.  He was pestilence, he was the destroyer, he was destruction, he was death.
     
© Copyright 2007 Kaya (kayawade at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1272310-Long-Journey-Nowhere