*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1273787-He-said-it-Wouldnt-Happen-Ch-1
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Military · #1273787
The promise
The rain was coming down in sheets as Janey stood looking through the window int the gray gloom outside. Rain fit her mood; cold, sad, and hopeless. She was dreading the idea of tomorrow, if the weather man was right it would be a beautiful day giving her no excuse to stay couped up inside all day, the one thing she wanted most. People would have smiles plastered on their faces and attempt jovial chit chat avoiding all topics that would remind her of him.

Turing away from the window her focus turned to the crackling fire glowing softly in the otherwise dark room. No one needed to say anything, something as simple as burning wood sent her senses tingling with memories of him. The way he would kiss her awake slowly and sensually, the feel of his hand on her cheek as he told her just how much he loved her, and the look in his eyes when he placed his hand on her, then flat stomach, saying goodbye to the life growing inside of her before his last deployment.

Rubbing her hands over her now bulging stomach a tear slid down her cheek. Squeezing her eyes shut against the sting of more tears she swallowed hard against the rising lump in her throat, he'd promised, he always kept his promises!

~~~

The fire blazed behind them, the soft crackle the only sound save their ragged breathing. Janey's head rested heavily on Jack's heaving chest as his hand made slow circles on her bare back.

"I told you, you couldn't resist a man in uniform." Jack said in a low husky voice.

Lifting her head wearily from his chest her eyes locked with his and she answered playfully, "I think it was more the idea of getting you out of uniform that did it."

Brushing her hair away from her face he laughed, "God I missed you." He whispered softly.

Janey's eyes clouded with worry, "they won't send you back will they?"

He stayed silent for a moment, he knew the answer and it wasn't the one she wanted to hear but it was the only one he had, "Probably. A lot of units are being recalled, we most likely will be too." She broke her gaze and Jack could see the worry on her face, lifting her chin so she was looking at him, "hey," he whispered, "no worries nothing is going to happen to me, I won't let it. I have too much to come home to." he reassured her giving her that smile again.

"You promise?"

"Promise."
© Copyright 2007 Brooklyn Mack (flygirl9 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1273787-He-said-it-Wouldnt-Happen-Ch-1