*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1273892-Cup-of-Coffee-not-done
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Relationship · #1273892
Based off of the song "Cup of Coffee" by Garbage.
She struts in, bags in hand, sunglasses on, and wearing the biggest brightest smile you could ever imagine, ear-to-ear would be an understatement. His back is to her, he sips his coffee, he is on his second cup. He hears the steady clack of her high heeled boots on the tile as she draws closer.

She wraps her arms around him and kisses the top of his head. "I love you babe," she says as she sits down at the table across from him. It's her favorite place, the tables and chairs are irregularly high off the ground your feet dangle in the air.

She slips off her tan trench coat, it wasn't buttoned or tied so it only took a second, then she plants her elbows on the table and puts her chin in her hands and smiles at him. She has a beautiful smile. He doesn't smile back, he just looks at her and frowns, which of course kills her smile. She sits up and pulls her sunglasses off her eyes and places them on the top of her head, "What's wrong?"

"Excuse me, Waitress?" he says looking away, the waitress walks over, "Can I have another cup please?"

"Sure thing," she says and goes and grabs another cup and sets it down on the table and fills it with coffee, "Enjoy." She walks away.

"Here Shirley," he says, sliding the cup over to her. She takes it, feeling slightly worried about the next words that are gonna come out of his mouth. "I have--" he starts, she doesn't want to hear it.

"I'm sorry for being late," she says, "I just got all caught up in shopping!" She reaches down for one of her bags, just, something. She grabs one and brings it up to table, the one with his present. "Here look at what I got--" now he is cutting her off.

"The reason I asked you here, Shirley, was because, well--"he doesn't know how to break it to her softly, "To be honest, I don't love you. I mean, I do, but not how I used to. You know what I mean?" She just turns her head away, looking out of the window, and tips her sunglasses back down so he can't see the hurt in her eyes. She doesn't say anything, she feels so distant. He was her world, and now he is leaving her now too.

They sit there in silence for a while, Shirley trying to keep from crying looking away, Steve sipping his coffee and just looking at her.

"Shirley?" is all her says after a while, she stays quite. She wants to know what happened, why he feels this way, where she went wrong--but she can't. The only thing she can do is sit there quietly. At the sound of his voice the tears begin to roll down her face, she bits her lower lip to stop it from quivering, and continues to just stare out the window. "Shirley, are you okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah I'm fine," she manages to choke out, trying to strain back the tears. She takes a deep breath. "Hey babe, I gotta go. I'm meeting up with Derek. I'll talk to you later." She stands up and grabs her bags, leaving the one on the table. "That one's for you," She says and walks out the door in a hurry.

She walks back to her apartment, unlocks the door and drops her bag. She doesn't even bother closing the door. She just runs to her bedroom and throws herself on the bed and begins to cry.

Eventually her neighbor walks by and sees the door open. Feeling that something might be wrong, he walks in. "Shirley?" he calls, walking through the living room, "Hun, are you in here?" He wonders back towards her bedroom, and then he hears her sobs. He walks up to the door, and knocks on the door frame.

She looks up and wipes her eyes, "Oh, Jack, I didn't hear you come in." She sits up, trying to act like nothing is wrong. She flips down her sunglasses again.
© Copyright 2007 Jakk M. (porcelainlies at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1273892-Cup-of-Coffee-not-done