*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1274479-Windows-To-The-Soul
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Other · #1274479
This story stems from an issue close to my heart. It is based in India.


          It was destined to be another hot sticky day in Bombay. The dust and putrid stench were just beginning to strengthen as the bright heat of the newly risen sun began to sink into the concrete that covered almost every inch of the city. Manoj lounged outside a street side chai shop, smoking a beady and observing his charge for the week. There were five of them this time; three little boys and one tiny little girl carrying a bundle about half her size that contained her baby sister. They were even more raggedy than the last bunch and looked as if they had never eaten a proper meal. In short they would be good for business.

          Manoj looked back at the little girl scurrying about among the noisy bustle of early morning Bombay. For some reason she made him feel incredibly guilty.

          A little while later the traffic started to get heavy as rush hour approached. Manoj checked to see that the children were doing a satisfactory job of begging; he then got up and made the ten minute walk down the colorfully chaotic Kotachiwadi streets in about seven. As he turned into one of the very few children's parks that existed in that area Manoj almost laughed at the carelessness with which parents in this city looked after their children. The park was extremely crowded and there were a lot of children about. Most of these children looked like they were unaccompanied and some of them looked barely old enough to do up their own shoes. Likely as not a few of them would end up kidnapped. After all that is why he was there; to find a child that would be useful in his Maim sahib's (boss's) begging ring.

          Manoj didn't have much time to look around before he spotted his ex girlfriend sitting on a park bench holding a baby in her arms. She stood up when he approached her and said three words “ meet your daughter”. Manoj was almost paralyzed with shock as she carefully placed the child in his arms. He took a deep breath, to steady himself, and his nostrils filled with the comforting aroma that surrounds every well cared for baby. After a few minutes of staring into her tiny eyes and seeing his own Manoj quietly passed the baby back to her mother and walked away.

          That night Manoj came home to find the five little beggar children waiting outside his door.

          “Come with me” Manoj ordered ignoring the four purses of money being held out to him. He put the children in a taxi and then got in himself.

          “Drive”he ordered.
© Copyright 2007 Samantha O'Brien (sammy_88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1274479-Windows-To-The-Soul