*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1280115-Unsolvable
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Mystery · #1280115
One more mystery investigators will never figure out.
Fore warning...This static item is not a casual read. The graphic details are not for the faint of heart. All is not as it seems.

The unwelcomed bill was the only thing that ruined Garret's perfect day. The paper was addressed to his room number, but it clamed he had been watching hours of TV that week. That would be impossible since he was working three jobs and got as much sleep as he can on the bus and at home, mostly barely making it to the couch. He only got about three hours of sleep each night.

But tonight was different. He took the day off of his third job and had an extra four hours of play time. Garret picked up the phone and dialed the cable company.

"Hello," a seductive feminine voice answered, "Civil Cable Company, how may I help you?"

"I got charged for television that I don't recall watching," Garret replied.

"Name?" the voice replied.

"Garret Smith," he replied. A pause followed as the woman searched the database.

"Mr. Smith," she said, "You watched much TV recently."

"No, I haven't," Garret shot back, "I couldn't have possibly."

The voice replied with, "You must have left the TV on or something."

"No, no. I haven't."

"Well, has someone else been in your home lately?"

Garret thought for a moment. Sephia Rogers had a spare key to his house, she was the only person he trusted-the only person he loved.

"Come to think of it," Garret said, "I might have left the TV on last night," he hung up before picking the phone back up and dialing Sephia's cell number. The tone turned into a ring and Garret soon imagined what her ring actually sonded like. It was so strong in his mind he began hearing it in the appartment. He realized that it was actually coming from another room.

Garret followed the sound to the bedroom were his untouched bed had been vacant for weeks. All seemed normal untill a small drop of conedsation fell on his face. Garret wiped it away, thinking it was cold sweat untill two more drops plummeted to his face and trickle down, leaving a red streak.

Garret cocked his head up, only to find Sephia's body tied to the ceiling, the rope pulled trough freshly drilled holes. Her throat was slit in a grusome pattern, that of a checker board.

He stumbled onto here white purse where "Look inside" was writen in Sharpie. Garret openned it and found here digital camera inside. He switched to the play menu and watched the first video available. Sephia's face was visible, her blonde hair covering here ears.

"The perfect murder is one that goes unsolved, remember how we used to take turns with those Encyclopedia Brown mysteries, Garret? Lets see if you can solve this one." She stumbled in her purse and brought out four different items. When you see this, I have been shot, slit, strangle and starved, and these clues will help you determine who did it to me."

She placed a jasper rock in her hand along with a pocket knife, a heart shaped bar of soap and a model train engine the size of her thumb. The rock tells you where I was when I was assaulted. The knife tells you who killed me. The soap tells you why they killed me and the train tells you what they will do. I will give you one more clue, he hit me in the kitchen with the revolver."

The image froze and Garret sat looking at the screen. He got up to go look in the kitchen, ignoring her mistreated body. There was splatter against the wall that he had not noticed before. She was shot in the kitchen, probably in the arm or leg. Garret moved on to the jasper: the bathroom. The had found jasper stones in the sink when he first moved in. Garret didn't want to look at any more blood, so he stayed away from the bathroom. Then there was the pocket knife, just like her ex caried around with him.

Her ex did it. The bar of soap represented how she broke his heart.

Garret rushed to the phone to dial 911, but something stopped him. A knife was placed next to the phone, something that wasn't there before.

"Do you think I did it, Garret," the voice whispered. Garret turned to find Sephia's ex-boyfriend pointing the revolver at his face.

"Answere the damn question!" he yelled.

"No, Garret said fearlessly, "I know you did!"

The ex cocked the rovolver, "You did it Garret! You invited her over ealier, but you were drunk. She angered you when she said that she was leaving because you made her uncomfortable."

"Lier," Garret muttered. He reached his hand over to the knife without him noticing.

"Now I'm going to kill you with the gun you shot Sephia with!" The ex said.

Garret dove out of the way before he could fire. and sprinted across the room. He jumped to dive behind the couch and landed on the floor. The Ex came charging into the room, trying to fire at Garret, but he popped up from behind the couch and threw the knife at the ex. The blade plunged deep into his brain and the ex's body fell to the ground.

"Stupid bastard," Garret said, "You were too late."

Garret picked up the phone and dialed 911. Before the service person could speak, Garret said, "Send your best detectives to 1322 East Maple St., room 27. It's going to take a while to figure this case out."

Garret walked into the bedroom, openned one of the drawers and took out a lengthy piece of bungie cord, a knife and a vail full of poison. Then he went to the kitchen, dropped some of the poison inside a half empty glass of water and spat into it before stiring it with a spoon. Then he openned a cabinet in the kitchen, pulled out a glue bottle and headed back to the bedroom. He attached one end of the bungie cord to the bed and opened the window. He then ran over to the body of Sephia's ex and took the revolver out of his hand. He brought it over to the bedroom where he slipped his head into a noose he tied in the bungie cord. He stepped out of the window onto a small concrete ledge and sat. The ledge overlooke two railroad tracks below. Garret shot himself in the heart just so that it would barely pierce it and stop any blood from leaking out.

The loud whistle of a train came roaring down the track as Garret closed the window on the cord, swallowed the poison and dropped off the ledge. His neck snapped as he plummeted down 20 feet and was launched back up, the revolver slipped out of his hand and landed in the freight trains godola car onto the dry cement. On the corpses second time down, the bullet, lodged in his heart, popped out, letting blood flood his chest.

The video on Sephia's camera was not ment for Garret Smith, it was meant for Garret Dorsal, her ex. Smith used to carry the pocket knife in high school which he later used to slit Sephia's throat. The bar of soap represented that Smith loved Sephia enough to do anything for her.

But Sephia wasn't entirely innocent. She was going bankrupt and didn't want to get evicted and live on the streets so she got Smith to help her. Smith was also in the same situation so he planned the perfect crime. When police find the video, they will know that Sephia didn't kill herself. They will find the poison and knife in Garret Dorsal's head and realize that he didn't kill anyone.

When they find Smith's body, they will find that he was shot and poisoned in a way that would be impossible for him to do it himself and since they will not find the gun, which will be burried in concrete in a few days.

Smith knew about this a because he worked at the local train station and planned the crime.

And this crime file will be place in a filing cabinet reserved for the unsolvable mysteries.

Dedicated to Agitha Christi for her amazing book And Then There Was None
© Copyright 2007 Blanknow (indigoshadow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1280115-Unsolvable