*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283155-Wishing-Mirror
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1283155
old mansions,hiding myteries,old loves,and sudden tragedy...


"You'll see.You will enjoy it here after you get used to everything.I just know it." My mother chirped as she drove at a speedy rate toward our new home. That I did not much care for,let me just say. For the past week,thats all she's been saying.

You'll enjoy it Sweety! Its an adventure Sweety! You'll make a lot of new friends Sweety!

I wish she would just stop acting all cheerful.The situation were in is nothing even close to be anything to cheer about. HE was after us and she wanted to try to make me think this was an "adventure"??
I dont think so.
"Mom,seriously.Stop it.I cant take the sickening fear and panic hidin through all that fake cheer." I said,slumping lower in my seat.
Her shoulders sagged again slightly as a frown threatened to set it.
"Dear,you sure do have a way with words.You could be a great author one day."
Her smile came up once again and she began to hum. There she goes again,pretending with all her gushy fake happiness. I mean,its not like I dont want her to be happy. Its not like I want her to be sad and afraid. But at least admit that your in a scary situation and handle it exactly as it should be:with caution and wariness. At least,that was the way it came to ME to act.
I sat slumped in the seat as we came to an intersection,crossing to the old part of the town.At the end of the street partially hidden by some large oak trees,was what looked like an old dark mansion.
I was pulled momentarily out of my shield and looked at the place with interest.
"Hey Mom...you know anything about that mansion over there?"
She glanced at it and shuddered.
"Oh yes.I talked with Mrs.Wilson about it when she showed me around."
Mrs. Wilson...One of the team on the Witness Protection Program.
"And?" I prompted her.
"Oh,well,it used to be owned by a wealthy family some years back.But a terrible incident happened.Some sort of affair and the wife went horribly crazy after that and tried to burn the house down.The firemen had put it out before it got serious.Only destroyed one room,the living room I believe she told me. Anyway,the wife decided to just kill herself..and in a strange way too...I think she had two mirrors,shattered one and cut herself deeply and lay there in front of the other mirror,smiling and talking to herself.The firemen found her like that.She died a few hours later."
My mother sighed and then she turned down a street that carried us away from the mansion.My eyes took in the street sign. Willow Ave.
I would have to remember that.
**************************************************************

I was soon to start school and I hate to admit it,but I was uncomfortable and to if I had a choice,I would hole up inside this little room thats not even mine and just lay there,safe,at least for a while under the comfortable familiar sheets that were mine.Nothing here was mine.Only what I brought and what was in my mind. Everything else,as I had been told before by HIM,was his.MY mom,MY brother,MY soul and devotion-all his.
My stomach rolled sickly and I squeezed my eyes shut and I tightened my whole body,making myself get my mind off of that thought,of those painful memories.Never again would I let myself be tossed around like that.Never again would I allow someone to take over my life or anything that I do! I would rather die than go through that.
I heard a tentative knock sound at my door and I almost disregarded it,but instead I called out, "Who's there?"
"It's me Sweety. It's time for you to get up and get ready. First day of school! Aren't you excited?"
I groaned.
I rolled myself out of the bed relunctantly and I shuffled to the dim lighted bathroom and went through the normal functions of the morning: Shower,brushing my teeth,brushing my hair,and then pulling on clothes. I had already decided what I was going to be in the new high school: An invisible nobody. I didnt want to be noticed. I didnt want attention. I just wanted to blend in with the surroundings and go through the paces like a machine and when it was time for me to go back,I would go back.
So of course I dressed in 'invisible nobody' clothing. Just some blue jeans and a white T. That should keep me out of trouble and out of everybody's way and I can be alone. Alone,for me,was the only way to go. I didnt want to press any of my problems on anyone. I didnt want every one of my wounds to be opened up for the world to see.
Good thing that Mrs. Wilson had thought up the story that I was an army brat and that would give me the excuse of moving quickly if we ever needed to.
I hope to God that I would never have to run again. But I knew it was inevitable.At least,for the next few years it would be. Because my brother suffered at his hands and I witnessed it, we would have to run. Because HE is not only a killer,but a clever killer, and I had a feeling that there would be no hope for us if he found us.
****************************************************************

My mother pulled up to the school and she smiled at me and gave me a smacking kiss to the forehead before finally letting me out of the car.I tried miserably at a smile,then I turned and trudged up the school steps. As I walked up the steps,I felt a prickly feeling. As if someone was watching me.
NO....cant be. I cant be going through this again. I thought wildly. I tried to keep control over myself as I slowly turned by head to the right to see a girl looking at me. She had long blond locks and stark dark blue eyes. A beautiful contrast. She actually scared me.
She crept closer and then she said, "Who are you?"
I just looked at her. She asked me again,but I couldnt help feeling like she was trying to start something with me. I backed up from her slowly and turned and ran into the school.
I ran in and ran right into somebody who felt like a stone wall. I heard the door open behind me and I knew it was her and I was ready to run. But a hand gripped my arm like it was nothing and kept me in my spot. I groaned and looke up into the mans eyes who was holding me. He looked like the Gym teacher,and I learned that he was by the tag on his shirt.Mr. Barns.
"Hold on there missy! Where do you think your going? Your five minutes late,if you didnt know it."
"Im sorry,but Im new here.." I mumbled. The way he was controlling me felt exactly as HE had comtrolled me,and as much as I wanted to blow up at him, I was also very afraid.
He gave me a look. "I hope your not trying to pull one over on me. I advise you go to office." He let me go,and watched me with his eyes as I scurried over to what was obviously the office by the large gold plated sign on the door. I heard the girl with the dark eyes being reprimanded by the Mr. Barns and I wondered if he had anything better to do than bother girls all morning. Walking into the office,I was immediately in the shine of a grandmotherly type woman with a warm smile.
"Hello Darling. Running a little late? Sign in."
"Uh,Im new here,I need-"
"A schedule? Of course hunny. Your name?" She asked, her hands positioned over the keyboard.
"Alison Hamilton."
She typed it in with fast precision, all the while making small chat with me.
"Today is not too bad is it. I mean,to be November that is. The cold chill will set in after a few short weeks. Then you all will have to bundle up to keep warm." She beamed at me as my schedule printed. I silently took in her words,analyzing them. Cold. I didnt enjoy the cold. I had too much of it back home. But I made sure to at least show a slight interest by nodding my head and giving a smile. I wanted the torture to end. Not that I disliked her. I just couldnt muster up much feeling at the moment to fake it for anybody.
"Here you go sweetie. Here's a map of the school as well. If you want,I can get someone to show you around to your classes."
Thats when the office door opened and the dark eyed girl walked in. She looked at me,then at the lady,whos name tag named her as Mrs. Walker.
"Oh,Melanie! Im so glad that you came in just now! I need you to take this girl around to her classes for me. Think you can do that?"
"I can manage." I said quickly. There was no chance I would let myself get stuck with her.
Without a word,this Melanie girl snatched the papers out of my hand and she glanced over it.
"It seems like we have a couple classes together." She said casually,but there seemed to be an undertone in her words.
"Great! Show her around. Im going to be swamped here in a few. I just cant do it myself." Mrs. Walker said.
Melanie smiled. "I know. See you soon." She looked at me with innocent eyes and said, "Follow me...Alison."
Reluctantly,I did,forseeing a problem with this girl already.
We began down the hallway and for a few seconds,nothing was said. Then she burst.
"Im sorry about earlier. I didnt mean to go...crazy on you. Its just that Its a bit exciting to see someone new around here. This town may be moderately big,but we have the heart of a small town: Everybody knows everybody.." She said.
"Its ok...I guess..." I said.
None of anything she said made me feel much better. But at least it gave an explaination.
"Well,since we already know each others names,lets start talking abou something interesting. Where you come from?"
"Uh..."
"What do you do for fun?"
"Well..."
"How nice are your folks?"
"My mother is who I have." I spoke, my voice slightly rough.
"Oh,your dad left,huh?"
"Um...Something like that."
She then preceeded to tell me all about herself.
I found out on the way to my very first class that she lived with both of her parents,had a little sister named Claire,and what several of her favorite foods were. Not that I was listening intently. She was just hard to ignore at the moment.
"Here we are! I will come get you after this class. We have the next one together."
She handed me my schedule back and I looked at the next class. Government and Economics. Great.
She bounded off to her own class and I felt lonely suddenly. I thought she would at least take me in there. Now I would have to face pairs and pairs of eyes looking at me.
I gripped the handle to the door,and after taking a deep breath,I pulled it open and I was surprised to see that not everyone's eyes focus on me. This classroom was a lot more different then my school. This room had large circular tables in the room that students sat aroun,obviously working together and enjoying themselves. The teacher stood in front of his desk,arms crossed,a funny smile on his face as he apparently waited for something.
A student suddenly jumped up and yelled, "He was known for his help in the creation of the Constitution!"
The teacher nodded and said, "Correct!" He looked over at me and then motioned me to come inside. With my head slightly bowed from embarressment, I shuffled in and more eyes turned to look at me,but not exactly in the analyzing way I had imagined they would. They were more curious and friendly.
"Class, it seems that we have a new student here with us today." His hand reached out for my schedule and I meekly handed it to him.
"Alison Hamilton. Everyone, say hello." He prompted.
"Hey Alison!" The voices chorused. I smiled and gave a short wave.
"You can take your seat near the back of the class." I followed where he gestured and saw that the seat he was talking about was right near the window on the back corner. Also seated there were some funny characters. A girl who had pink tipped blond hair and heavy goth make-up. A boy who looked like a jock with his classic football jacket,but he held a smile to the girl. And also,there was another girl with short croppe black hair who wore a outfit that I would never be seen in, but it actually looked pretty good on her. It was the smallest group and there was no wonder I was assigned to it. I walked up to the seat, said hi, and sat down,looking down at the table.
They continued to talk around the table,giving me flashes of looks. It wasnt as if they were trying to mean. I could tell they were just curious. But I wasnt about to say anything to them. Right now, I was still a little too embarressed to be doing all od that.
"Hi, My name is Reb.." The girl with the pink tipped hair said. She smiled, her face being so open and her makeup making her look gothic.
I smiled and gave a little wave, feeling stupid.
'Hi There. Im Jason." The jock said. He have me a wide smile and shook his black locks from his eyes. I waved at him also. The other quickly introduced themselves and the girl with the black cropped hair was looking at me with a half grin. "Hi,Im Lena." She said in a smooth singsong voice. I gave a slight smile in response.
"So...What are you into,Ali." Lena said as everone else buzzed in their conversation.
"Um..Not much. Music mostly." I said feebly. Lena raised her eyebrow.
"What kind? Do you like Bleeding Heart?" She said, naming the group I was not really into.
" Um, not really. More Upside Downers, an Rip Side." Naming my favorite bands all time.


© Copyright 2007 LoveDriven11 (addictedtou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283155-Wishing-Mirror