*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283438-Faithless-Ch-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Writing · #1283438
meeting most of the characters
Faith wasn't usually one to panic but the King's always meant business and their employees made sure that came across. She told Emily what was happening as she was one of the few who knew her real life. Emily, Leo and Martin were classmates of hers who belonged to The Guards, who worked against The Solution. Although during school life Faith pretended not to know them and showed s disgust towards them, it was all for show to make sure Darrel didn't know that Faith was friends with them. Faith had to keep her part in The Guards very secret as she couldn't let Darrel know that she was one of them incase he turned against her. Faith needed Darrel in order to get close to his family who were the main players of The Solution. Faith was just telling Emily about what had happened that day when Leo and Martin came in.
"So now you want our help? Darcy told you to forget about getting revenge and that he would sort it out. You should of listened," boldly began Leo, after hearing what was going on.
"I'm not asking for help," spat Faith. She hated to feel that people needed to help her out, she was independent and needed noone. Also Leo got on her nerves sometimes, he was just as mentally strong as her and loved to prove Faith wrong. Everything was a competition with Leo and he saw Faith as her rival to get Darcy's attention. Leo raised his eyebrow.
"Then why are you telling us about your ex?" Faith rolled her eyes.
"A bit behind aren't you? Darrel is the King's pompous and stupid only son. He's the perfect way to slip into the King's manor and destroy them. He's clueless about who I am and believes I'm completely in love with him. I ended it because I was sick of waiting. Four years I went out with him and he never once introduced me to his family. I've wasted four years of my life being stuck with that pathetic rat, he bloody waited until I dumped him to think of introducing me to his parents." 'Speak of the devil' thought Faith as she recieved a text on her cheap second hand mobile phone, which looked like it had seen better days.
Soz abt b4. Plz come 2 mine on Sun. Dnt b mad! Luv u loadz Dar xxx
"I just don't know what I should do," she sighed showing them the message. "It's what I've been waiting for all these years but Church told me that he's joined. Kinda foolish to go see him when he's part of The Solution. King is gonna make him not trust me and the whole night is going to be difficult. But then again, I need to end this. I've waited so long... What should I do?"
"You'll have to tell Darcy. He's the only one to get you out of this mess," Emily said cuddling up to her boyfriend Martin.
"No way. He has already helped me out enough. He'll never let me near any of the plans if he hears about this. He doesn't believe I have enough strength to go through with this as it is." Faith sat down on the floor annoyed.
"He's just trying to protect you, he's looking out for you. It's not about how strong you are. He just worries about you."
"Well he needn't do. I can look after myself," she replied fuming.
"You've been through enough. He wants to help you," sadly said Emily. Faith glared. Being pitied was sickening for Faith, like she was weak and pathetic.
"Well I'm not asking him for help."
"It's your decision," said Leo his golden hair now half hiding his eyes. "But you are going to have to ask for help at sometime Faith. The King's mean business."
"I know that," she said while rereading the invititation that Martin had handed her back.
"You have to go Faith. Darrel invited you,you haven't much choice, I wouldn't do anything when you are there though.You'll get into trouble either way. Darrel is a member of The Solution now, he's going to be less trusting. If he finds out what you are planning he'll never forgive you," quietly said Martin who was sitting hugging Emily.
"I don't want his forgiveness. I don't give a damn about him. I just want revenge for my father," said Faith coldly with a stoney face.
A smirk ran across Leo's face. He could relate to Faith's blood thirst. A glimmer of light sparkled in his ocean blue eyes, as he took something out of his bag which he prompted placed into Faith's hand then clasped her hand to have a firm hold of the bottle.
" Perfect for revenge on Sunday. Just tip it into Richard's dinner or drink. It should killed him slowly and he won't even notice until it's too late." Faith pocketed it with a smile. Martin gave Leo a reproachful look as Faith said her thank you's and left.
Sunday afternoon had come and gone, the hours felt scarely like minutes. Deciding she wouldn't do anything unless provoked, she got dressed for the evening. She wore Darrel's favourite top of her and a smart navy skirt with her black kitten heels. Since her heels were slightly too big she put the small bottle into her left shoe, put on her fluffy cream jacket and waited in the hall nervously. She reapplied her clear lipgloss and put them in her jacket's secret pocket before realising that her ride had arrived. The windy avenue was silent and the sky was still light as it was summer. Darrel,of course,had to show off with one of his fancy cars to come pick Faith up in, which this evening happened to be the black limo he picked her up for their first date. Faith turned to lock the door, trying to calm her racing heart as Darrel opened the limo door from the inside. The expensive black limo looked out of place for the middle class area Faith lived in, making her more apprehensive entering the car. Darrel was sitting rather laid back in the back seat looking very pleased to see her. However Maxwell- the security guard that Faith had had the misfortune to meet before- frowned slightly and moved to sit in the front seat next to the driver before they drove off.
"I knew you would come," smiled the tall pale boy. "You look really nice," he leant forward to kiss her but Faith flicked her hair turning away from him. He studied her for a moment confused at the rejection before moving back into his seat. "I'm glad you came."
"Why did you ask me to come?" She asked avoiding holding his hand. "You shouldn't have asked me."
"Well I needed you to come. I wanted you to meet my parents."
"After four years of dating you, you decide to introduce me to your parents after we break up. That makes complete sense."
"Love never makes sense. I want you to meet my parents."
"Why?"
"I love you that's why. You should know that by now Darling." Faith looked away at the word 'Darling', he would only ever call her that if he knew she would get upset at something soon and wished to calm her down first.
They arrived at the King's manor shortly after a few moments silence. The manor was enormous, it looked like a castle that had been freshly painted white. They were let through the manned gates and the limo stopped outside the huge front door. Faith had never been to the King's manor but she was quite impressed. Mr and Mrs King came through the front door to greet them.
Mr King was wearing a black suit which brought out his brown eyes and hair, and made him look more paler than he would of normally done. His face tightened and his stern eyes frowned at Faith, she then turned to Mrs King. She was wearing a blue silk dress which suited her. Her perfect blond curls sat on her bare shoulders, her lips curled slightly at her guest and her bright blue eyes looked her up and down criticially at what Faith was wearing.
"Good evening Miss Cauldwell. Welcome to our manor. I hope you don't mind but we've invited some of our friends to join us tonight," Mr King smiled insincerely and opened the door ajar for the couple to allow them inside. A servant curtsied and took their jackets as Darrel grabbed Faith's hand and took her into the dining room. The walls were velvet red , with golden frames of landscapes placed on 3 of the walls, the long oak table was full of shining sliverware ready for the evening meal. Darrel pulled Faith a chair after sorting his black silk shirt so she could take a look around. Darrel sat on the right hand side of her as he used to do at school.
"Whar do you think?" He smiled knowing he had impressed her.
"It's really... beautiful," admitted Faith. Darrel glanced above Faith's head with a contempt look. Faith turned around to see a tiny, stick thin girl in a red dress and white boa, with inch thick makeup on her face. Her straw blond dyed hair was unnaturally straight and shiny- looking very greasy with an overdose of hair products. She pursed her lips until Darrel awkardly stood up and offered her a chair. She refused to accept the chair next to Faith shown by an ungrateful scowl and crossing her arms in disgrace. She instead sat next to Darrel.
"I didn't know my father had invited you along Megan," Darrel said as he took his seat. Megab released a high pitched cackle that turned into an awful giggle.
"Why of course Darrel. I wouldn't miss this dinner for the world!" She squealed.
"Ah Darrel. Good. I see you have got the young ladies settled. However... I did make a seating plan for tonight's dinner," Mr King sharply announced. "You and Megan will be sitting there," he pointed to the bottom end of the table,"and Miss Cauldwell shall be sitting with me and my wife there," he pointed to the top end of the table.
Darrel stood up in anger. "Faith is my guest. I want to sit next to her," sulked Darrel. Mr King looked furious at Darrel's confrontation as if he wasn't used to it. Darrel looked at Faith who was startled and worried, she smiled at Darrel reassuringly and moved to her newly allocated seat without a word. More guests arrived and filled all the seats. Faith was sitting next to Mrs King, who promptly ignored her; and a youn tanned man who called himself Bullet. Opposite sat the sneering Mr Church and his wife Teresa. Mr King sat at the head of the table surveying all the guests at the table. After all the greeting were made dinner was served, prawn cocktails for starters and the main course was a rack of lamb with salad.
"How sweet Megan and Darrel look together," repeated Mrs Church for the third time. "I cannot wait to prepare for this wedding," she shrilled.
"I thought Darrel hadn't proposed yet?" Bullet spoke up after sitting in silence for most of the meal excepting for when he was asked if he agreed with Mr King on subjects, all of which he had to agree. Mr and Mrs King and Church all took that comment to stare at Faith which made her move uncomfortably in her chair and avoid all their eyes. She nervously cut up her lamb slowly until the eyes were lifted.
"Perfectly true. The proposal has been unfortunately delayed. He would have done so tonight if he wasn't still with her," Mrs King inclined her head at Faith, who kept a clear expression after being insulted being refered to 'her'.
"Oh," smiled Bullet revealing his Hollywood white teeth. "You're still romancing after 'Darling Darrel', I see," he grinned as most scowled in return. "Brave of ya, Mrs Church will have your head if you mess up her plans," he said so quietly it was practically a whisper.
"Oh I'm sure Miss Cauldwell won't be carrying on this little fairytale for much longer, will you Faith? At least not after tonight I'm sure," hissed Mr Church. Darrel marched up to Mr King asking for a word, barely after a minute Darrel stormed away from his father and knelt down to speak to Faith.
"Sorry about all this. I'll talk to you after dessert, okay?" He kissed her on the cheek and walked back to his seat next to Megan who was glaring at Faith. Bullet looked amused and winked at Faith cheekily as he laughed at Mrs Church and Mrs King.
"Darrel's attention to his guests has greatly improved this evening compared to the last dinner. I didn't realise he was such a charmer." Bullet stretched in his chair, relaxed and flexed his tanned muscles sleepily after finishing his plate clean.
"Bullet. My wife doesn't appreciate your comments encouraging this little friendship," Mr King growled. Bullet looked unworried but stayed quiet until dessert was served. The servants poured custard on the apple pie's accordily, The King's and The Church's all refused with cold manners, Bullet chuckled 'thanks doll', Faith accepted politely and thanked them.
Having glared, laughed at and make a joke of her all evening, Mr Church asked nastily " Have you enjoyed your dinner here this evening? Must be a huge difference to what you are used to at home." Faith carefully replied she enjoyed her dinner and complimented the food politely. "How is your mother? Does she know you are here or is she too drunk to care?" He leaned over the table leering at her as Faith turned pink, swallowing hard.
"My mother is fine, thank you for asking," she smiled falsely ignoring the unneccessay remark. Focusing on her breathing, she rolled the bottle in her shoe soothing her anger slightly.
"Your mother met Darrel has she?"
"No, he hasn't."
"Doesn't she know about Darrel? You must of said.Surely she would want to meet the boyfriend you've been dating for the past four years." Embarrassed she continued eating her apple pie continuing rolling the bottle in her shoe.
"Oh don't embarrass the poor girl," said Bullet putting his arm around her chair.
"I need a smoke," growled Mr King at Bullet in warning standing up. The the whole table hushed and all the guests stood up and joined Mr King in the drawing room.
"Just ignore those pompous prats. It's their job to belittle the younger generation," whispered Bullet in her ear and he walked off to have a smoke as well.
Darrel came over and decided to give her a tour of the grounds. Faith accepted his arm, glad to get away from the stare of the disagreeable Megan who had just left the room. "I'm sorry you had to have my parent's company tonight, I hope Bullet didn't give you a hard time as well."
"Bullet was quite nice to me actually. How was your dinner with Megan?" Faith pretended to be jealous but was actually wishing she was at home.
"Enjoy a dinner with screaching Megaphone? Hardly. I tried to get Father to switch you and Megan's chair so I could have your company instead. However Father wouldn't hear of it. He is already furious at me for inviting you.This was meant to be me and Megan's engagement party but that dream of my parents is never going to happen. I couldn't ever marry her. I'd much rather marry you," he admitted as Faith stared in disbelief.
"OI! Squirt!" A voice from behind them yelled."Your Father wants you both inside now!" Bullet yelled at Darrel with a cigarette in his mouth. His gelled back blond hair was catching the light from the open back door. Darrel pulled Faith further into the grounds and Bullet had to come running after them. "Didn't you hear me? Inside now," he said inhaling his cigarette.
"Yes I heard you. But I need a word with Faith," sighed Darrel in annoyance.
"Fine. Hurry up then."
"In private," he hissed.
"Tough. Either tell her now or it will have to wait." Bullet grinned. Darrel sighed and walked Faith back into the spotless manor, Bullet strutting behind them. They barely entered the hallway when Megan ran up to them.
"Darrel! There you are. I was wondering where you wandered off to. I told you I would only be gone for a minute to powder my nose," Megan squealled. She grabbed Darrel's arm and tugged him off to see his Father.
"Boy.How much powder did she use?" Remarked Bullet on Megan's orange foundation.
"Not sure. But where did she find the shovel she used to slap it on?" Joked Faith making Bullet chuckle.
"Don't like her either? Is that why you came? To annoy her by coming to her suspose to be engagement party to Darrel," he asked shutting the door behind them.
"I didn't know anything about it. I didn't even know she would even be here, otherwise I would of certainly never of come."
"What? And leave Darrel all on his lonesome?"
"He wouldn't be alone. Megan would of seen to that."
"I'm pretty sure Darrel much prefers your company than Megan's. Afterall you are his girlfriend."
"Correction. Was. I dumped him on Friday."
"Then why are you here?"
"'Cause Darrel wouldn't take no for an answer. He won't accept we are over."
"Why did you dump him?"
"I've left school and I heard the rumours they were to be wed in the summer. I knew we had no future and I just can't do this anymore." Faith lied and inclined her head at Darrel and Megan who were getting drinks.
"You want to go for a walk?" Suggested Bullet as Megan was fighting to get a kiss. Faith agreed looking disgusted at Megan's behaviour. "So you didn't dump him for joining The Solution?"
"I didn't find out he had joined until afterwards." Bullet looked surprised."Mr Church told me. How do you know that Darrel's in it?"
"I'm in it," he said. "I was one of the gunmen but I almost got caught so at the moment they are training me up. They really should change my codename. Bullet doesn't sound right for a bodyguard really."
"So Bullet isn't your real name then?"
"Nah. It's William. William Roberts to be precise."
"Nice to meet you William," she smiled.
"The pleasure is all mine," he smiled back."You wanna head back in? It's getting chilly and you didn't bring your coat."
"Sure," she said as he put his arm around her to keep her warm. As they entered hallway again, Darrel marched right up to them.
"I got you a drink," he said handing her a glass of orange juice. She muttered her thanks was Megan grabbed Darrel's arm with such force that most of his drink spilt.
"Just showing Faith a little more of the grounds," smirked William after Darrel gave him a suspicious look.
"Why did you want to show her more of the grounds?" Snorted Megan nastily. William didn't answer. "Anyway... Mr King wants a word with you. Something about keeping a watch out for something. Well it sounds important that you see him now." William skulked off to find Mr King after muttering a comment about Megan that only Darrel and Faith heard. Stiffling their giggles, Darrel and Faith walked into drawing room with Megan clinging onto Darrel's arm as if for dear life. The grandfather clock at the furtherest wall chimed 10 o'clock and Mr King presented his speech.
"Well thank you charming guests for coming here this evening for dinner. Although we are not here to celebrate what this evening was arranged for. Namely the engagement of my son Darrel Richard King and the graceful Megan Louise Church. Alas, this engagement wasn't meant to be at least for now. However we shall not give up on young Darrel yet as he truly does have the King blood in him. He has decided to make an honest man of himself and join the ranks of the honourable society of The Solution. I wish him luck to do well in this powerful society and once he has made a man of himself, I have no doubt he will able to propose to our sweet admirable Miss Megan and they will live together for many happy years."
"Now it is getting late so I shall stop my ramblings and propose a quick toast to the one and only- The Solution, may it suceed in it's plans!" He raised his glass,drank and his guest copied, Mr Church adding a 'here here' to the toast. Faith lifted her glass to her lips but didn't take a sip. Mr and Mrs King went around the room thanking everyone for coming before they set off home.
"Nice to meet you Miss Cauldwell. It's been a pleasure to have you join us this evening," said Mr King sarcastically. "One of our cars will drop you and Mr Roberts off home," he sniffed as though Faith was an awful smell and wished to leave her company as soon as he could. Darrel had been dragged off by Megan to speak to her dad as Mr King spoke to Faith. Faith waited in the hallway after avoiding Darrel's eye, collected her coat and was waiting for the car.
"Looks like me and you are sharing a lift," said William as Faith put on her jacket. "Come on the car is waiting."
"Did you speak to Mr King?" She asked as they drove off in the limozine Faith had come in.
William grunted "Yeh. He forgot what he wanted to say though, I think Megan just made it up," he glanced at the fancy insides of the limo. "Never been in a limo before, I guess Darrel wanted to show you to his house in style huh?"
"So what Mr King wanted to speak to you about wasn't anything to do with The Solution then?" Asked Faith casually. The limo pulled over to a block of council flats which were in the same area as Faith's house just a dozen streets away from hers.
"Well this is my stop. Nice to meet you Miss Cauldwell," Faith glared,"Faith." She smiled. "See you around," he smiled getting out of the limo as she nodded. He turned and marched up to his block, his leather jacket billowing behind him.
© Copyright 2007 LoreliBlack (duraarmy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283438-Faithless-Ch-2