*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283706-Apprentice-Chapter-1
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1283706
the first chapter of Derica's adventures
              After the lesson, I ran down the stairs that led to the huge library. I loved the library it was always quiet here. I felt safe, safe from Him. I walked around the shelves and grabbed "The Guide to Dangerous Beasts". I sat down on the azure sofa and started reading. As I read about tarantulas, gremlins and unicorns I didn't notice the shadow of the person standing next to me until its owner sat down. Startled, I let out a small shriek. The owner of the shadow quickly put his hand over my mouth.
              I looked into his eyes. They were black and they looked familiar.
              "I'm Frank," the black-eyed boy said and took his hand away from me.
              "I'm Derica, " I said and edged away from him.
              "I won't hurt you I promise."
              "What do you want?" I inquired.
              "Just to meet you," he whispered.
              "Maybe next time you should bring a knife, too," I said, angrily.
              "What?" he said, aghast.
              "You frightened me," I informed him.
              "I'm sorry," he apologized.
              I ignored him and continued reading.
              "Fine, then, I guess I won't tell you what uncle is scheming.
              "Uncle?" I asked curious.
              "Yes, uncle Evan."
              "I don't know any Evans and if I did I wouldn't care if they wanted to blow up the world."
              "Well you should care, because this Evan is your Master."
              "What? His name is Evan?"
              "Yes, you didn't know?"
              "No,” I said, feeling stupid. Of course he had a name, everybody did. “What does he want?”
              “He wants to throw you back out on the street, he thinks your worthless…”
              “That little…I can’t believe him. Me, worthless?” Then I stopped. He was right. I was worthless- I couldn’t do any spells or make elixirs or poisons.” I almost burst into tears.
              Frank didn’t notice and just continued talking “…and as you mentioned earlier he would like to blow up the world.”
              I sniffed. “Why?”
              “Because he can, that’s why.”
              “Well, that sounds pretty juvenile,” I said matter-of-factly, “Every little kid wants to take over the world or blow it up, I don’t believe you.’
              “What?” the boy said, his eyes grew.
              “You’re just making up stories, now leave me alone.”
              “Now look here, girl,” he stood up, “you’re not one to boss me around in my own house.”
           I didn’t have an answer to that so I just continued reading, I didn’t even notice when the boy left.


           Later that day, I was lounging in the small dungeon I had come to know as my room, busily examining all the spider webs and leaks and wiping green slime off the dark stone walls when I heard a knock.
           “Come in!” I called. I turned to see a dark figure enter the room. “You again?” I hissed.
           Frank nodded silently. He came up to me and pulled at my sleeve, “We have to leave,” he whispered.
           “I can’t leave!” I pulled away from his strong grip, “This is my home.”
           “It won’t be for long, Frank said and without waiting for me to argue he grabbed my arm and pulled me out the door.
           We ran up a flight of stairs, down a long, dark corridor and outside. I couldn’t remember the last time I left the manor. But, the birds singing and the bright sunlight was such a surprise that I screamed. The birds flew away and the old ladies that were sitting on a bright, green bench started yelling at Frank. ‘Serves him right,’ I thought as I slipped away into the bushes that surrounded the house. I was alone on the streets for the first time in three years. But this time things were different, this time I had money. I reached into my pocket and found the cash that I had stolen from Evan.


             I was careful not to buy a lot of stuff, a girl in dark, ripped jeans and a baggy, gray T-shirt was bound to attract attention if she was struggling to carry ten shopping bags. So, I decided to just get a hot dog and a soda. It was the best hot dog that I had ever eaten.
© Copyright 2007 Randi Chafeline (r4nd0m at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283706-Apprentice-Chapter-1