*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1292980-Short-Cut
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1292980
This is a short story about you and your friend..
Bones being crushed under the carelessness of a friend.


You and your friend are walked down a path, and you see an abandoned house. To your knowledge, people have been slaughtered within, the atmosphere seemed very dank and dark. Your friend laughs at your fear and considers that the both of you should go inside and pass through the house for it is a short cut back home. It's getting darker outside and tears fall from the sky. Something tells you that you shouldn't go inside, but you don't want to be poured on by the warm summer rain.

So your friend takes your hand and leads you inside the house. The door was rotted at the hinges and the low creak of the door manuvering on the rust made the hair on the back of your neck stand up. You immediently feel like something is watching you.. but what?

Your friend pulls their shirt over their nose and continues to lead you across the old home. The wooden floor felt like it was sinking in, and looked the part too. The rain started pouring and it hit the roof of the building like a hundred bullets. All you can hear is the rough pitter patter of the rain. The ceiling begins to leak, leaving puddles of water to seep into the wood, making it slippery and more eery. You want to tell your friend to turn around, but your voice is drained out from the storm and your friend just pulls you and laughs at you. Thinking nothing would go wrong.

All in your mind, you think;

"What if the floor falls in?.. where would it lead to?.. what would happen to my friend? What would happen to me?".. Your mind continues to race, until your friend makes a quick stop. There, standing infront of the both of you, a dark figure stands there. With glistening eyes and the worst odor exiting it's mouth. Who is this you wonder? You listen to the voice in the back of your head, telling you to turn back and run, but you're zoned out and can't move. And whatever goes, goes.

The figure leans in close.. looks both of you in the eyes, and laughed. Suddenly, the floor falls in and you keep falling..
and falling..
and falling..


You wake up.
You're in a white room, the sun shining and birds chirping. A whole new day. A lady comes in in all white. "Your friend... didn't make it"...

"What happened?" you asked...

"The fall was too intense and apparently, your friend landed on their neck and upper spine... killed your friend instantly."

You look down in sorrow and cry. You knew you could of prevented this, but yet you didn't. You sit and cry on the hospital bed, wishing it would have happened to you and not your friend.

You lay back down onto the bed,
and something hits you..


You awake on the path that your friend and you took before the accident. And their looking over you, in confusion...

"You just fell over, idiot"... they laugh at you and help you onto your feet.

"Let's go through the house, it'd be faster" your friend provokes...


"No.. lets just walk around... the rain is alot more fun anways"...
© Copyright 2007 Stories (nataliagee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1292980-Short-Cut