*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1297358-Animalia-Chapter-3A-Task
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1297358
New chapter in Animalia, reviews help.
Jim flung his sword in a return blow, his small chipmunk body swung with all its might, sparring had become part of his life lately. He panted viciously as the heat surrounded him. Cuts were part of his training, no shield was provided for this. Skills were worked on one at a time, the sword came first to instill offense above defense. Then came shielding, a last resort if one made it past the sword. In this part of training the shield was the only weapon along with the body. Hand to hand combat was also instilled in the warriors’ killer instincts. Readiness to fight at the drop of a hat was a skill that they needed to have. In those days one could not survive on wit alone. Brawn came into a large part of the picture.
Jim wielded his sword against that of his teacher. He was pushed back slowly. He didn’t know how one could make as many blows as his teacher had at one time. After he was pushed several feet back he took a knee. In classes this meant to end the exercise. He got up, put his sword away, and shook hands with the old chipmunk. He walked out of the school and got a drink from a small spring which ran irrigation from one of the main streams.
He looked up, left and right. He scurried off towards Grande. Making his way into the castle he appeared before the senate made up of moles. They all sat on large rocks within the confines of the auditorium. Each mole seemed plump, even ready to burst open. Jim looked up in a general direction, looking at no specific senator, “I was summoned?” he asked
The largest of all the moles, and perhaps the oldest judging from his fully white fur, cleared his throat, “We have summoned you today, to send you in search of answers. There has been news in the forest as of late, of a furtive search by rats to find something. We are not sure what, but whatever it is it can not be good. You will remember years ago in the great wars, Fang grey wolf, at the end of the wars he was turned to stone, yet unfortunately not destroyed. Our elders sought to leave this statue as a reminder to those who has wished to do bad.”
“Yes sir, so you think they are reforming. Searching for others to join?”
“Unfortunately, my boy. We believe they have already formed their ranks, now we think they are searching for, something else. Something, magic perhaps.”
“So where does my search come in?”
“We wish you to go to the badlands, that is believed to be the center of most rat activity these past months. You may take anyone you wish, our only hope is you return quickly as you find something out. We have readied the necessary fortifications in case of attack. We can not send any of the larger, for they might be seen more readily than you, the smaller. Do you accept this mission?”
“Do I have a choice?”
“Unfortunately you do not.”
“Well then, I guess I shall accept it.” with this Jim exited the castle. He trotted back down to Little Mam where he met up with Luke. Luke was more than happy to accompany him on the new journey.
© Copyright 2007 Jordan Norton (commoner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1297358-Animalia-Chapter-3A-Task